A.A. is a cult
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

gerhupsom vanbone

A.A. is a cult  Reply with quote  

http://www.moonmac.com/Cult_Called_AA.html
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:26 am
invisiblemcs

i went to aa for three years because of some shit with parents when i was young. now i drink and im fine. aa has its pros and cons
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:10 pm
sleeklegend

invisiblemcs wrote:
i went to aa for three years because of some shit with parents when i was young. now i drink and im fine. aa has its pros and cons

If you could explain what the pros are other than helping you not drink anymore, let me know.

because to me it seems like replacing one addiction with another.

peace
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:13 pm
invisiblemcs

well, here in northern va there is one of the largest groups of young people in aa. there are meetings where it is only like 30 kids from 15-25. i had more fun with those kids than most times in my life. i made a lot of good friends and the people are really close. so in that sense it was good although i always had doubts i was an alcoholic. the biggest con in my opinion is that all these kids went to meetings and thought they were a productive person simply because they didnt drink. barely any had jobs or anything and i believe that some just used alcoholism as an excuse. as far as it being a cult....i wouldnt go that far but to some degree i can see that.
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:24 pm
scribble

sleeklegend wrote:
invisiblemcs wrote:

If you could explain what the pros are other than helping you not drink anymore, let me know.

because to me it seems like replacing one addiction with another.

peace

the pros of helping you not drink you need help with that shit. im not against drinking at all but if you have a problem thats a whole nother thing. my dads an alchoholic and he is one of the saddest men i know. he used to not pick me and my brother up on his weekends to go and drink all weekend, 6 days out the month he couldnt even see his own kids. so if your for that i think you need some help buddy.
Post Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:34 pm
excellrec

If you can quit drinking without A.A. you shouldn't go. If you Can't on your own, A.A. is free and you can try it if you want. That person went to half a dozen a.a. meetings. From people i know that went for years, none of them thought it was a cult. Some of them are probably dead of ocerdoses and some are very happy, none of them were made human sacrifices.
Post Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:21 am
Seamus Ignoramus

A. A. is not a cult just because some sceptic decides that he thinks it is. N.A./A.A./G.A. are right for some people, not for others. But a lot of people have benefitted substantially from the existence of these organisations. This fact heavily outweighs the ramblings of the odd critic.
Post Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:30 am

Jump to: