Search
Register
I hate these emcee's getting signed...
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Doctrine

I guess you missed my FEELINGS here...Not to mention my point...Thanks for uppin' though...
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:42 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
insprdbysk8n

Re: I hate these emcee's getting signed...  Reply with quote  

Doctrine wrote:
I feel like the wider exposure takes away from the music being more personal and being able to be called mine.

hey, baby dick, the music isnt yours, its sages and if you feel the need to cry a river keep that shit to yourself cuz a true fan doesnt care who else listens to it because thats not why they do.
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:05 pm
TILTEDmurder

Re: I hate these emcee's getting signed...  Reply with quote  

insprdbysk8n wrote:
Doctrine wrote:
I feel like the wider exposure takes away from the music being more personal and being able to be called mine.

hey, baby dick, the music isnt yours, its sages and if you feel the need to cry a river keep that shit to yourself cuz a true fan doesnt care who else listens to it because thats not why they do.

doctrine, take some advice from insprdbysk8n before u post anything else.
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:33 pm
Doctrine

Hey...Don't tell me how to feel...When I buy the music it is MINE emotionally...I'm not freakin' out or anything about the cats being signed...I had such a subject to grab readers such as yourself...The truth is it makes me easy...Is this FEELING wrong...That I probaby will appreciate certain music for my reasons...Really...I respect all of you and ANY artist decision...But I have this selfish desire...
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:38 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TILTEDmurder

your dumbass posts bother me. it is not your music. its the music that you love and listen to, but it aint yours. and the fact that you make a thread about it ticks me off.
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:52 pm
ctrlfreak

Be a good little boy and share your milk and cookies
Post Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:39 am
vintge
is vintge vince? vince vintge vincge?

was this a quote? "It's sick, but rewarding at the same time...My friends don't consider me a snob about it though...Because I go down on them ALL..."

hugh grant, i'll take one of each of those shirts, each stage of ther idea even, the last t-shirt is like homers car he designs, it has everything a shirt really needs

oh shit, i love how mad some of you guys got,ahh, good shit.
Post Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:10 am
Krang
THE ORC BREATH

doctrine just posted his feelings.

You cant control feelings.

He just had the balls to share them, and yall shot him down.

He admitted its a selfish feeling but he cant help feeling it.

sheesh.
Post Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:42 am
Nope

I got this feeling that everybody should shut the fuck and end this stupid ass thread.

But hey it's just a feeling...
Post Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:04 am
princess

wheres my dinner bitch.
Post Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:32 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Doctrine

Your mom got a feeling last night...

It's my last resort...
Post Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:36 am
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

What bad could come out of this?!

For Christ's sake, last time I saw Sage, he was basically packed in a fuckin' mini-van with Shalem, Edan and Grand Buffet and fifty boxes full of merchandise and equipment and turn tables and shit.. He had to set-up the stage.. He had to sell his own merchandise.. He had to talk to the promoters about getting paid.. He has to try to look for an affordable hotel room in cities he's never seen in daylight.. And, he's got to share driving duties..

I know struggling with this shit is all part of the lure of being an 'indi' artist.. Like it's some poetic noir shit that should be filmed in black and white and subtitled in French with a fading FIN at the end.. but, if I were in Sage or Slug's shoes, there'd come a time where I'd say to myself, "Fuck it! I know I make damn good music and I deserve to reap the fruits of my labor.. Let somebody else drive me to venues, let somebody else sell my merchandise, let somebody else worry about distribution, let somebody else deal with promotors.. Just let me create and perform my own music and not have to stress with all the extra bullshit.. I've paid my dues.. I've created a fanbase.. Now let me fucking enjoy it.."

And what's wrong about the thought of seeing Sage or Slug on MTV? I've seen Rage Against The Machine on MTV alot.. They're intelligent, political and make good music without compromise.. Not to mention others like Dave Mustaine, Tori Amos, Maynard James Keenan, Chuck D, Billy Corgan, Kurt Cobain, Beck, etc, etc.. Before I had the internet, I'd always watch MTV, The BOX, BET and VH1 in search for new good music.. For example, I was watching 120 Minutes one night, saw the video for "Loser" and went out and bought "Mellow Gold" the very next day.. If people like what they see and hear, they'll go out and buy it.. And with good distribution, they'll be able to find it so they can buy it..

There's this little side aspect of being a musician, it's called 'career'.. There's money involved, ya know?.. Even the most artististic wholesome street performer in the world keeps an upside-down hat by his feet.. In a career, there are rungs you climb.. You struggle, you work hard, it's supposed to pay off in the end.. "At the age of 16, I'll be able to retire.."

And this selfish thought of "..if alot of other younger people relate to the same song, it loses it's meaning.." is rediculous, petty and borderline elitist.. "Oh Margie, James Jenkins III just bought a Jaguar the same colour of my Beemer.. We must go get it repainted, honey bun.." What's the difference if 100 people or 100 million people like the same song?.. I played "Rewrite" to a friend who was recently devorced from a relationship filled with unrequitted love to a heartless woman and he felt it because he could relate to it.. And it probably didn't matter who wrote the song, or how strange or famous the artist is, he would've still related to it because of the meaning, not the amount of times it was on a TRL countdown..
Post Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:13 am
blake3030

no  Reply with quote  

thing is, if sage was to have 15 yr old girls shouting for him on that show, he would have had to have changed his style dramtically to get there, people who like timberlake and nelly aren't gonna suddenly warm to sage just coz he might get some airplay (and face it, even though he has signed to a bigger label, he wont get much more commercial attention).

I think being on a label like epitaph is just gonna expose him to the sorts of people who would like his music but just haven't been exposed to it yet, the kind of people who need sage's music.
Post Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:05 am
Doctrine

^^^

STOP SPEAKING FOR ME!!!

This has NOTHING to do with Sage "sacraficing" his art...I think the Jaguar example hit it right on the head with how I feel...Only it's not material, it's reception...

I DON'T THINK ANY ART WOULD BE SACRAFICED!!! GET IT OUT OF YOUR HEADS!!!
Post Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:43 am
kwestchun

"we got 15 year old dead head buying garbage/ wanting to keep you for their personal, private artist"

- Copywrite
Post Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:50 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next