Search
Register
I hate these emcee's getting signed...
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Doctrine

I hate these emcee's getting signed...  Reply with quote  

I can't help but have my stomach churn when I hear about Sage Francis and Atmosphere getting put on to a wider exposure...No I don't think they are selling out...No I don't think they are sacraficing the art...It's the recipients of the music that makes me sick...Not to say EVERYONE who listens to quote "mainstream" music are dumb, they might not know what to check for...But I would HATE to see a Sage Francis video on MTV and think that 15 year old girls would be shouting him on TRL...I feel like the wider exposure takes away from the music being more personal and being able to be called mine, to being given up to a "chew you up, suck the flavor dry, and spit you out" society of listeners...Face it, thats what we do...That's what was done to offspring, people liked them, then you had their raw fans, but the commercial entertainment used what fruits they could give then dropped them like a bad habit...It's like the Miseducation of Lauryn Hill album and Fugees albums...There is some SERIOUSLY personal and heart-checking content on those things...Most people who have them only like the surface value of the music...I am very happy for these guys' success...But I can't act like I truly like the whole idea...Sorry...

No I'm not a backpacker nor an elitist...I just can't fake like I'm too excited...
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:59 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
hugh grants hooker

Re: I hate these emcee's getting signed...  Reply with quote  

Doctrine wrote:
But I would HATE to see a Sage Francis video on MTV and think that 15 year old girls would be shouting him on TRL...

i would laugh my ass off at that.

i could see it happening too. every teenage girl in america cheering and screeming for sage. when all the while sage has more in common with those girls' fathers than with ANY of them. yet they hate their dad. haha
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:09 am

Reggie

Word, I know exactly what you mean. It takes an introspective, sensitive adult to truly fondle Sage's cock in the proper manner. These 15 year-old girls on TRL don't even know the nuances of cradling the cock gently, let alone stroking it in the way that only super-intellectual, pompous rap fans can. Sage doesn't need his cock fondled by amateurs, and I can say for damn sure that the "mainstream audience"--you know, the people you see every day on the street that have their own lives, families, problems, jobs, concerns, and ideologies--these people don't deserve to fondle Sage's cock. In fact, I am considering making a counter offer to Sage regarding his Epitaph recording contract...I will DOUBLE his advance money if he will submit to being put in a small coffin that I can keep under my bed. At night, I will snuggle up to the coffin while Sage whispers super-intelligent raps to me and me alone. And I will giggle silently to myself knowing that I am the only person that can properly appreciate these wonderful, elitist, underground raps.
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:14 am
hugh grants hooker

i take it that bit of sarcasm was aimed at doctrine.
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:18 am

tom inhaler
me too!

Reggie wrote:
And I will giggle silently to myself knowing that I am the only person that can properly appreciate these wonderful, elitist, underground raps.

haha, that was harsh reggie.

i personally think it would be great for sage to get a lot of exposure.. maybe not TRL, because that show is an eyesore, but come on... if it's the same quality of music, who cares how many people listen to it, or what else they listen to? it's not like it's going to be sage and pharrell rapping about pussy and cars... although, i bet sage could write a dope song about pussy and cars... combined with a neptunes beat... hmm... call up carson daly, i've got a million dollar idea!

inhaler/thecat
www.inhalerproductions.com
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:23 am
Reggie

I just don't agree with this line of thinking. I want Sage to host TRL and be on the cover of Sassy magazine and I want him to be elected Mayor of Hollywood and I want his music piped into the elevators in the Mall of America. Only through others' validation can we really be sure of our own tangibility. If Sage's music starts to suck at any time, I have reserved the right to stop listening to it.
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:26 am
FoJaR

i have a bunch of friends that dont appreciate music. they listen to the same stuff i do, for the most part, but they dont appreciate it. i think this is the difference. while we may be a bunch of elitist ass kissers, we do appreciate sage's music. i think what most of us are worried about is sage getting fans that like, but dont appreciate his music, becuase that would be a travesty. but then again, who are we to say whether someone appreciates music.

FoJaR[/b]
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:36 am
Reggie

FoJaR wrote:
who are we to say whether someone appreciates music.

This is exactly the only point that needs to be made.

For most of the world, music is a distraction. People do not put much thought into the music they listen to because it doesn't matter to them. NOT BECAUSE THEY ARE STUPID. In fact, it could be said that a person who establishes their identity around a musician or a kind of music is the stupid one.
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:51 am
name

an artist's fanbase, without fail, will have an effect on his/her art, whether it be a negative or positive one. i believe this to be absolutely inevitable (although the degree of this effect varies wildly), despite what a given artist might say about their "convictions" and "independance". this is the notion that concerns me most about the whole epitaph thing... not that i lose any sleep over it. its not that i fear sage will drastically change for the worse, im sure he won't, but he will change... and this change wont necessarily be equivalent to "growth", depending on how much mainstream acclaim is encountered. does mainstream = bad? i dont think so, but its no coincidence that most highly successful mainstream artists really do suck. they are the musical manifestation of politicians, trying to win over large voting blocks. if an up and coming mainstream artist doesnt buy into this mentaility, they hit a glass cieling.

still i think its a good move for you sage. my guess is that more exposure is higher priority to you than becoming a pop legend. im not sure i can say the same for atmosphere, but i could be surprised.
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:52 am
Seamus Ignoramus

It's ridicuous to expect a musician not to want as many listeners as possible to hear their music. I like Sage's music, and I'm happy for him that he's getting a chance to reach more people with it.
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:32 am
hippo

999  Reply with quote  

Reggie wrote:
Word, I know exactly what you mean. It takes an introspective, sensitive adult to truly fondle Sage's cock in the proper manner. These 15 year-old girls on TRL don't even know the nuances of cradling the cock gently, let alone stroking it in the way that only super-intellectual, pompous rap fans can. Sage doesn't need his cock fondled by amateurs, and I can say for damn sure that the "mainstream audience"--you know, the people you see every day on the street that have their own lives, families, problems, jobs, concerns, and ideologies--these people don't deserve to fondle Sage's cock. In fact, I am considering making a counter offer to Sage regarding his Epitaph recording contract...I will DOUBLE his advance money if he will submit to being put in a small coffin that I can keep under my bed. At night, I will snuggle up to the coffin while Sage whispers super-intelligent raps to me and me alone. And I will giggle silently to myself knowing that I am the only person that can properly appreciate these wonderful, elitist, underground raps.

Dude.... what's with your cock references? Something on your mind?
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:20 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
princess

but you have to think about it this way -- it's not only about you ( the true fans ) but its also about the artist himself... it's their choices and i'm sure they thought long and hard about what they want to do with their life and music. especially if you are living off your music. i say congrats.
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:32 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reggie

princess wrote:
but you have to think about it this way -- it's not only about you ( the true fans ) but its also about the artist himself... it's their choices and i'm sure they thought long and hard about what they want to do with their life and music. especially if you are living off your music. i say congrats.

I think Doctrine was expressing his own opinion about it, not making a plea for Sage to stay out of the limelight.

People act like signing to Epitaph is an immediate rocket ride to daytime radio playlists. It's not. It will get him more exposure but I don't see any Justin Timberlake makeovers in his immediate future.
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:45 pm
mes the jive turkey

Quote:

stomach churn

i thought that said STOMACH CHUM
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:46 pm
FoJaR

epitaph really isnt the devil. and there are plenty of artists signed by epitaph that i have never heard of. i think sage is going to get a little bit bigger of a fan base by signing with them, but i think an appearance on Punk-o-rama alone will attract more listeners than signing with epitaph.

FoJaR
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:58 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next