Profile
Search
Register
Log in
"Ban White People From Hip-Hop"
View previous topic | View next topic >

Post new topic Reply to topic
Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Author Message
August Spies



Joined: 09 Aug 2002
Posts: 1979
Location: D.C.
 Reply with quote  

Bathtub:

First off I live in DC, and IMO blacks have plenty reason to complain here....
however back to the topic... wait what am I supposed to respond to?

NOTHING YOU SAID HAD ANY RELEVANCE to my claim that not everyone in this society has equal opportunity.

We are all mammels? SO!?!? Jews and Germans were both humans, doesnt' mean jews had the same chance to advance in the German army as Aryans did, does it? OF COURSE NOT.

we are all just people? Sure, but that doesn't mean a kid working in a sweatshop in india for 14 cents an hour since he was 8 has the same job opportunities as a middle class white kid.

You dont' believe in black as culture? Okay, already said im not sure I buy that eiither but does that have anything to do with equal opportunity? NOPE.

-------------
"but that post was hecka funny. i bet you have a krooshial tilt on your NY yankees hat right now, and your flossin some mecca, and lugz boots. either black or white, "

hecka? Sorry I don't know what Krosshial or mecca refer too. Im actually wearing a thrift store polo shirt, New balances, a trucker hat. Just because I listen to hip hop doesnt' mean I dress like some cash money reject.


Last edited by August Spies on Wed Aug 21, 2002 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 12:08 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
August Spies



Joined: 09 Aug 2002
Posts: 1979
Location: D.C.
 Reply with quote  

djdee2005:

I of course agree with your main point that, blacks (like native americans and hispanics today) were oppressed and exploited. Many whites were eploieted too, but blacks were certainly significant for their exploitation by color.

However, things have changed today. NOT because blacks have stopped being exploited but becasue a kid like me or you doesn't look at a black person and thing they are inferior, nor do I grow up in a culture that thinks blacks should be kept down. At a time such a culture existed accross white america. Today if it exists it is only in segments.
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 12:11 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dee



Joined: 19 Jul 2002
Posts: 7872
 Reply with quote  

Believe it or not, every white person in America has stereotypes. They're programmed into us, and what seperates a good person from an ignorant one is that a good person recognizes those, and as such, doesn't act on them in any way.

I have stereotypes about blacks. Its unavoidable, as a white person in America. I just do my best to rid myself of negative stereotypes by not acting on them.


For instance....

the black kids are poorer than many of the whites in my town. (Excepting myself...I'm a po' boy.) Poverty tends to coincide with crime. That means that yes, the crime rate is higher for blacks than whites. When I had things stolen from me in elementery and junior high, it was often by black kids. That could have developed into a situation where I stereotyped and prejudiced....but it didn't. Because I looked at the situation from the side of a poor African American who sees poor blacks alongside rich whites, and sees a disparity based upon color lines.... Now, that doesn't mean I'd neccessarily steal - but the majority of African Americans in my town wouldn't steal either.

Point of this is that I saw a stereotype developing in myself, recognized it, and squashed that shit. 99% of whites in america don't even recognize that in themselves.....
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 12:35 am
 View user's profile Send private message
amano



Joined: 04 Jul 2002
Posts: 992
Location: exiled in Cackalack!
 Reply with quote  

August Spies wrote:
Bathtub:

First off I live in DC, and IMO blacks have plenty reason to complain here....
however back to the topic... wait what am I supposed to respond to?

NOTHING YOU SAID HAD ANY RELEVANCE to my claim that not everyone in this society has equal opportunity.

We are all mammels? SO!?!? Jews and Germans were both humans, doesnt' mean jews had the same chance to advance in the German army as Aryans did, does it? OF COURSE NOT.

we are all just people? Sure, but that doesn't mean a kid working in a sweatshop in india for 14 cents an hour since he was 8 has the same job opportunities as a middle class white kid.

You dont' believe in black as culture? Okay, already said im not sure I buy that eiither but does that have anything to do with equal opportunity? NOPE.

-------------
"but that post was hecka funny. i bet you have a krooshial tilt on your NY yankees hat right now, and your flossin some mecca, and lugz boots. either black or white, "

hecka? Sorry I don't know what Krosshial or mecca refer too. Im actually wearing a thrift store polo shirt, New balances, a trucker hat. Just because I listen to hip hop doesnt' mean I dress like some cash money reject.


don't even bother tryin to talk any sense into that cat. His racist ass is beyond repair.
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 12:52 am
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
amano



Joined: 04 Jul 2002
Posts: 992
Location: exiled in Cackalack!
 Reply with quote  

August Spies wrote:
Bathtub:

First off I live in DC, and IMO blacks have plenty reason to complain here....
however back to the topic... wait what am I supposed to respond to?

NOTHING YOU SAID HAD ANY RELEVANCE to my claim that not everyone in this society has equal opportunity.

We are all mammels? SO!?!? Jews and Germans were both humans, doesnt' mean jews had the same chance to advance in the German army as Aryans did, does it? OF COURSE NOT.

we are all just people? Sure, but that doesn't mean a kid working in a sweatshop in india for 14 cents an hour since he was 8 has the same job opportunities as a middle class white kid.

You dont' believe in black as culture? Okay, already said im not sure I buy that eiither but does that have anything to do with equal opportunity? NOPE.

-------------
"but that post was hecka funny. i bet you have a krooshial tilt on your NY yankees hat right now, and your flossin some mecca, and lugz boots. either black or white, "

hecka? Sorry I don't know what Krosshial or mecca refer too. Im actually wearing a thrift store polo shirt, New balances, a trucker hat. Just because I listen to hip hop doesnt' mean I dress like some cash money reject.


don't even bother tryin to talk any sense into that cat. His racist ass is beyond repair.
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 12:53 am
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Alxotty



Joined: 04 Aug 2002
Posts: 465
Re: I think its pretty simple....  Reply with quote  

Solomon Klepto wrote:
There 's only one race that should be allowed to make Hiphop..... The Human Race.... Melburn - Australia


I think that dogs spit it pretty good too.
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 12:54 am
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Dee



Joined: 19 Jul 2002
Posts: 7872
 Reply with quote  

Who let the dogs out?
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 1:01 am
 View user's profile Send private message
August Spies



Joined: 09 Aug 2002
Posts: 1979
Location: D.C.
 Reply with quote  

DJ: I don't really disagree with anything you said in your last post, nor am I trying to act like I don't have stereotypes.

Im merely contesting the notion that you can claim there is "white culture" some vast culture that accounts for 200 million people in america.

If there are shared aspects among all whtie people in america, they are so small as to be insignificant for any real purposes.
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 1:32 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Notch



Joined: 19 Aug 2002
Posts: 24
Location: Cambridge
Good, good...  Reply with quote  

August Spies,

Im glad to see that if someone is going to dissagree with me that at least they took the time to think about it. Cause of The poor example of opposition I saw in that other idiot, I guess I didnt make my points too clear. I posted mostly to attempt to stimulate as certain direction of thought.

First off, your right about nelly and Jah rule in a certain regard. They have become popular and exposed to people far beyond black culture and that includes hip hop but that shit is polution no matter who's listening. What we are talking about here is influence. I liked your example with the Japanese haiku (and the fact you called it a "Japanese" haiku).

Lets take Martial Arts. Now, I am a black man in the US who grew up watching Kung fu and Idolizing Bruce Lee. As I got older the first chance I could I started practicing anything I could about martial arts, never taking a class, never had a teacher. I took myself seriously enough that I would spar with people who were diciplined in many forms of martial arts and prooved more than a match. I can say today that I have developed a style based in martial arts that I have shared with professional fighters (I kid you not) but does that mean I influence the rich history that spawned Martial arts? No. I would say that martial arts influenced ME.

You used Eminem for an example. Im feeling that. I lived in east Detroit three years ago and I know about the element he came from. I grew up bouncing between boston and Eight mile road Detroit where em found himself chilling and we crossed paths occasionally. I aint saying I know dude, anymore than you know cats that frequent the same spots as you, but he was there. Thing is though Emimem is white by skin only. Sounds kinda ill huh? Yeah I know, but thats the point. Understand the population of Detroit is 85% black, maybe 10% white needless to say black culture is in full effect there. At no point does eminem EVER front on the fact that he is involved in black culture, he embodys it. But at the same time he doesnt front about being white either. Its the INFLUENCE of black culture that makes eminem what he is, a white emcee. He knows and respects that. The same way I know and respect the influence of martial arts on my style. I have the utmost admiration for Eastern cultures. I hope you see the point.

Also as far as other races being there when hip hop was starting, sure there were latinos there. And, for the sake of argument, lets say there was a white person there as well. That doesnt matter. It was still overall BLACK CULTURE that spawned it! Latino culture is different from hip hop. White culture is differnt from hip hop. When other people attempt to assimilate hip hop they dont define it, thats obserd. They conform to its rules, rules designed by Black culture. Otherwise its not hip hop there doing, and THAT is a subculture.

Its funny, ten years ago If a white kid even listened to hip hop he was called a "WIGGER" (White-Nigger). Now even the racists are using our slang, walking like us, dressing like us and have the nerve to act like they are better at being us then we are (not you August Spies). Ya'll are the white folks that make me laugh. Unfortunatly for you we'er to Intellingent for that spanky. Go listen to quiet riot or some shit.

Like I said before, black culture will always guide the direction of hip hop. for Better or worse. Hip Hop is black culture, Its not gonna be what rock and roll is. Its our language, our expression and the begining of our legacy. Whites have the tendancy to try and manipulate whatever culture they encounter or blur the lines untill they can claim it for there own, but we know better now that wont happen. Does that mean others cant be involved? Hell no, The more the merryer. Everyone is envited for the ride, Just respect the driver!

Oh yeah, August Spies your wrong about the 70% of hip hop being white. Thats like saying 90% of the world is from England just cause most of the world can speak English. Thanks for stimulating my thoughts though.
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 9:00 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Bathtub



Joined: 09 Jul 2002
Posts: 46
fuck you notch  Reply with quote  

black "culture" will never guide the direction of hip hop. it is actually ,thank the lord, leaving that subculture of black "steez". i hate thugs so much. you are a piece of shit.
how can you say that blacks run the music so called "hiphop". they are a formidable representation in our music, but it isnt "their music" or "their culture"

and whoever gave justification for the reason that blacks have a highjer crime rate need to open their eyes and stop being "ignorant". if i was a poor white dood living on colfax st. in downtown denver, i would never in my life think about stealing. and the reason is because i have people in my life giving me morals. and even if i didnt, i know right from wrong. so to say it is understandable why they steal and kill people for money is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard. fuck you kids, stop being afraid to say this shit. and yes ok i am racist, but only to thug ass bitches of every race. not just black. seriously. i am done in this thread, you guys cant seem to understand all this race stuff is wrong. everyone lives in america, there should be no segregation from anyone. everyone should have some individuality to say, but stop this black..white...latino culture shit. it just sounds stupid to talk about. we are all just people.
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 9:16 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Notch



Joined: 19 Aug 2002
Posts: 24
Location: Cambridge
Your funny  Reply with quote  

Sometimes, when your having difficulty expressing yourself, Its the comment someone else makes that proves your point most effectivly.

Thanks Bathtub.
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 9:33 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Bathtub



Joined: 09 Jul 2002
Posts: 46
notch  Reply with quote  

your trying to hard to make yourself look more intelligent than me. go for it, i will never see you in person. your a piece of shit, just cause your black your being a huge dick head about all this. get off the fucking band wagon that so many of your colored friends share. whites are not devils, and blacks are not devils. we are all racist, we are all prejudice. deal with it if your great great gradnparents were relatives of some slave. let me pay you some money to help you out. bye
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 10:31 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Down Since 2001



Joined: 06 Aug 2002
Posts: 46
Location: White America
Re: fuck you notch  Reply with quote  

Bathtub wrote:
black "culture" will never guide the direction of hip hop. it is actually ,thank the lord, leaving that subculture of black "steez". i hate thugs so much. you are a piece of shit.
how can you say that blacks run the music so called "hiphop". they are a formidable representation in our music, but it isnt "their music" or "their culture"



Hahahaha. What a fucking idiot. Please explain to me what you mean by "subculture of black steez".
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 11:21 am
 View user's profile Send private message
Dee



Joined: 19 Jul 2002
Posts: 7872
Re: Your funny  Reply with quote  

Notch wrote:
Sometimes, when your having difficulty expressing yourself, Its the comment someone else makes that proves your point most effectivly.

Thanks Bathtub.



LOL.


And by the way, Notch, I agree with you. We are talking about "white" and "black" in a cultural, social, and economic sense, not in terms of skin color, I believe. (Although skin color is directly tied to all three of those aspects; I'm not saying that a white person knows what its like to be black or anything.)

And by the way, white people who like hip hop still get that shit....thats why I hate leaving the city.
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 11:30 am
 View user's profile Send private message
kilgore trout



Joined: 15 Aug 2002
Posts: 117
Location: charlottesville VA
 Reply with quote  

August Spies wrote:

Im actually wearing a thrift store polo shirt, New balances, a trucker hat. Just because I listen to hip hop doesnt' mean I dress like some cash money reject.

OMFG you're a bama
i am not a cash money reject but at least i know better than thrift shops and new balances.

Quote:

i have people in my life giving me morals


Quote:

get off the fucking band wagon that so many of your colored friends share.


morals these days. what happened?
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 11:54 am
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
All times are GMT - 6 Hours.
The time now is Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:00 am
  Display posts from previous:      


Powered by phpBB: © 2001 phpBB Group
Template created by The Fathom
Based on template of Nick Mahon