Search
Register
interview with UCSB weekly 6/02/03
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

interview with UCSB weekly 6/02/03  Reply with quote  

weekly ARTSWEEK issue, part of the daily UCSB school paper...

interview conducted by Kevin

if you could tell me bout your upbringing - family, schooling, musical influences...etc

"I grew up on a pig and chicken farm in rural RI. People don't often understand what that is, so they have all these misconceptions about me being a hick farmer. It's not like you grow chickens or pigs in a big field or some shit like that. There's a barn where you take care of the animals. The chickens live on the top floor of the barn and the pigs are on the bottom. The school was small. Under 100 kids graduated with me. Very small, puritanical New England town. Strict as all hell. A Fat Boys tape made its way into our class one day. The fact that they said the F-word made me feel weird inside. Hot even. If we were in church, someone might mistake that feeling for 'catching the spirit.' The only time I had any real communication with God was through curse words. Rap was the key. I explored the rest of hiphop with a burning passion. It's been a long, strange trip."

how has your style changed over the years?

"Well, my style would change every couple months or so. Love raps, hate raps, dis raps, sex raps, thug raps, hippie raps. Eventually they all melded into a more consistent and unique style. One that I don't have to consciously tap into anymore. It just happens. I speak from very personal experiences while broadening their meaning so that anyone with a brain and feelings can identify somehow. I try anyway. I try to find the core element of what it is that makes me feel or think the way that I do...and I work from there. My net is big."

have you always been political?

"I've always been disturbed by politics. Always. Even as a kid playing hockey, and recognizing the politics between the coaches and parents. I fucking HATED it. I was also a horrible hockey player, so sitting on the bench gave me a lot of time to think about these things. There were games that my team would be up 15 points (literally) and the coach would still be reluctant to put me on the ice in fear that we wouldn't win by such a great margin. haha. All of this changed when we got older and checking was allowed. That is when I became a goon and ruled the rink. Lots of people caught the shit end of my hockey stick. Victims of anger displacement."

Although obvious to heads like myself, to the unknowing: what are your political views?

"If one parent pays just as much as the next parent for their kid to be on a community hockey team, then their kids should get similar amounts of ice time. if one kid gets benched every game just because he is fatter and slower than the other kids, then his parent(s) should overthrow the government. hence, I believe in revolution."

what do you hope to achieve with your music / where do you find yourself in the future?

"I hope to make more music that I enjoy. I hope to perform for people who enjoy themselves at my shows. I hope to find myself being productive and feeling good in the future. It's that simple. I know that there will be things that get in my way, so I hope I deal with them effectively. I need to enjoy my life. If anyone fucks with the enjoyment of my life I am going to damage whatever they enjoy."

Who do you enjoy working with / who do you hope to work with eventually?

"I enjoy working with Joe Beats because he makes me do raps and he offers me unique perspective. I enjoy touring with Grand Buffet because they are the coolest and most personable cats in the world. They turn any situation into a party. I enjoy recording with Slug and Buck 65 because they are enigmas who make decisions that I never understand, but they tell me secrets about life. I enjoy working with Sixtoo because its funny to watch him come to the conclusion that I am socially retarded every time we hang out. He also records me the best. I enjoy working with Epitaph because they help me fulfill ironic fantasies. I want to work with Chuck D, Rick Rubin, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Bad Religion, Bjork, Vincent Gallo and Natalie Portman. Vincent and Natalie shouldn't be so close to each other though."

Last edited by Sage Francis on Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:40 pm
Jesus Frank

Re: interview with someone (?) 6/02/03  Reply with quote  

Sage Francis wrote:
if you could tell me bout your upbringing - family, schooling, musical influences...etc

"I grew up on a pig and chicken farm in rural RI. People don't often understand what that is, so they have all these misconceptions about me being a hick farmer. It's not like you grow chickens or pigs in a big field or some shit like that. There's a barn where you take care of the animals. The chickens live on the top floor of the barn and the pigs are on the bottom. The school was small. Under 100 kids graduated with me. Very small, puritanical New England town. Strict as all hell. A Fat Boys tape made its way into our class one day. The fact that they said the F-word made me feel weird inside. Hot even. If we were in church, someone might mistake that feeling for 'catching the spirit.' The only time I had any real communication with God was through curse words. Rap was the key. I explored the rest of hiphop with a burning passion. It's been a long, strange trip."

I love your ever different presentations. Keep them coming.
Post Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:54 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

the irony doesn't die in my life....

because the minute I tell the truth people finally get the joke...even though there is no joke to get. They missed the joke in the first place. This shit is true. haha
Post Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:07 pm
killedbysharks

" I enjoy touring with Grand Buffet because they are the coolest and most personable cats in the world. They turn any situation into a party. "

yeah, sage...

I have a really good idea

You tour with grand buffet in my town. Hit up every senior center and boys and girls clubs in the valley. Grand Buffet can perform their children's album at the daycares and we even have a children's museum. And then you eat really good food at the yummy vegan restaraunt. It will be fun!!!

sounds cool huh
Post Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:11 pm
PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG
the godfather of troll

have you always been political?

"I've always been disturbed by politics. Always. Even as a kid playing hockey, and recognizing the politics between the coaches and parents. I fucking HATED it. I was also a horrible hockey player, so sitting on the bench gave me a lot of time to think about these things. There were games that my team would be up 15 points (literally) and the coach would still be reluctant to put me on the ice in fear that we wouldn't win by such a great margin. haha. All of this changed when we got older and checking was allowed. That is when I became a goon and ruled the rink. Lots of people caught the shit end of my hockey stick. Victims of anger displacement."

Although obvious to heads like myself, to the unknowing: what are your political views?

"If one parent pays just as much as the next parent for their kid to be on a community hockey team, then their kids should get similar amounts of ice time. if one kid gets benched every game just because he is fatter and slower than the other kids, then his parent(s) should overthrow the government. hence, I believe in revolution."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is the funniest shit i have ever read on here.. its my type of comedy but I know there was truth in it and thats the best kind
I know exactly about the politics of those sports and situations like that
I think thats why I enjoyed on "eye of the tiger" so much because it touched on so many different things revolving around that
Post Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:00 pm
lambchop

Vincent Gallo, absolutely brilliant!
Post Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:14 am
lambchop

Vincent Gallo, absolutely brilliant!
Post Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:15 am
nonesuchone

Too bad he ain't never making another movie after those Frenchies hurt his feelings.

Childish asshole.
Post Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:15 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

of course he will.
Post Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:27 pm
Nortled

Re: interview with UCSB weekly 6/02/03  Reply with quote  

Sage Francis wrote:

Yeah, growing up in a single-parent family where the mom has to struggle for Little League fees has its advantages. Like having your ass sit on the bench in favor of the coach's son (and there are like 3 coaches on the team, so each of their sons are on the team). Then finally getting to pitch--screw outfield, pitching is where it's at. Of course, this is only done so the coach can do his one act of "charity" in order to sleep better at night. Then after 4 shutout innings, the coach sees it as reasonable that you should be benched and never pitch again.

Of course everyone's on equal footing...fuck outta here, coaching bitch!
Post Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:40 pm
The Mean Eagle

"ice cream is on me!"
Post Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:44 pm
PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG
the godfather of troll

The Mean Eagle wrote:
"ice cream is on me!"

"Go be a hero"
Post Fri Jun 06, 2003 2:08 pm
the Wiper

your mood seriously has to suffer a little when you get these interviewers who ask the most basic, boring questions they could possibly come up with...
Post Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:18 am
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

I like the way Sage handles the repetitive mundane questions..
Post Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:28 am
Nope

the Wiper wrote:
your mood seriously has to suffer a little when you get these interviewers who ask the most basic, boring questions they could possibly come up with...

At the same time, every magazine that does an interview with sage are coming from the point of view that they're exposing their readers to a whole new artist or at least give them background info on what they might not have known about that dude that does some political songs (even though he's only done a 2-3, but you get the point).

So every mag is gonna keep asking the same damn questions, and they will keep doings so as he gets bigger and bigger and there are more people that are to be "exposed."

It's only going to get worse. If you don't like it, don't do the interviews, refuse to be exposed.

Or you can just play the game cause you're the one that chose to play it. Nobody's forcing you. Even those that don't play the game know some of the things that one has to do to play it.

It's good to see that sage has a sense of humor about it. It'd be great when there's an interview on rolling stone that says something completely different to the one on the source.

peace
Post Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:45 am

Jump to: