Search
Register
::METAL::
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Captiv8

Stumbled across these dudes and was very pleasantly surprised:

http://defiants408.bandcamp.com/

And you really can't beat a free download. I'll be keeping my eye on Defiants for a full-length in the future.
Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:50 pm
Captiv8

Inter Arma - Sky Burial

http://interarma.bandcamp.com/album/sky-burial

Some seriously heavy doom that slowly and methodically beats you down. This style normally isn't my cup, but I like it as something terrifying in the background.
Post Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:07 am
AdamBomb

What. the.

Post Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:52 pm
Captiv8

It's clearly marketed on some weirdo, niche shit... but I kind of like it for being so bizarre.
Post Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:17 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

SKELETONWITCH
Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:06 am
Marcus Forealius

Neuro wrote:
SKELETONWITCH

I just heard of these guys recently and finally checked them out. Listened to Serpents Unleashed straight through, pretty solid album I thought.
Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:20 am
Captiv8

My problem with Skeletonwitch is that their album qualities do not match the awesomeness of their name. They are indeed solid, but not great. To me it just sounds like by the numbers thrash that is competent, not compelling.
Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:00 am
Marcus Forealius

Captiv8 wrote:
My problem with Skeletonwitch is that their album qualities do not match the awesomeness of their name. They are indeed solid, but not great. To me it just sounds like by the numbers thrash that is competent, not compelling.

Yeah they're definitely not reinventing the wheel by any means, but enjoyable nonetheless. I've heard they put on a nice live show.

Great call on Ulcerate. Haven't listened to The Coming of Genocide yet, but checked their newest release out, Vermis, which I'm really digging.

A friend just turned me onto Wormrot, Singaporean grindcore. Has kind of a Dropdead vibe going on.

Post Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:26 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

i think the name Skeletonwitch does do their music justice, its just all around great METAL with no bs thrown into the mix
Post Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:25 am
Captiv8

Time for a slice of relatively new metal for your dome.

Unhuman - S/T. Really solid death metal with just enough experimental stuff going on to keep you interested and not enjoyed.

The Modern Age Slavery - Requiem for Us All. Technical death at it's finest. It's a little less brutal than I would prefer, but the musicianship on this record is still absolutely top-notch. The blast beats are ferocious and the drumming is super-tight. Great riffs too. Get this, ye punks.

Deafhaven - Sunbather. This has the slow, sweeping feel of a doom record, with something of a sunny edge, as the title suggest. There are vocals, but they really take a backseat to the epicness of the music, which is at times this huge wall of sound that threatens to overtake you. There are also plenty of softer moments, which I think people less inclined toward death metal will enjoy.

Immoralist - Widow EP. Good Christ, this is some really aggressive brutality that throws finesse out the window right away. Every track is like getting punched in the throat over and over again. Just relentlessly repetitive in a way that I think is fantastic. If you've listened to Beneath the Massacre, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Hatred Surge - Human Overdose. Pure power-violence that sounds straight out of the late 80s: fast, short, and awesome, like sex with Joe Pesci.

Guttural Secrete - Nourishing the Spoil. A non-stop tour de force of extreme death metal that rapes your ears. I kind of wish the vocals (think Devourment) were recorded just a little louder, as they tend to be overpowered by the music, which bombards you from start to finish.

Krypts - Unending Degradation. This is some really great Finnish death doom more concerned with creating a dark atmosphere than busting your eardrums. In fact, you won't find blast beats here; it's just this dread-inducing wave, like being slowly crushed in a collapsed cave or something like that.

Impending Doom - Death Will Reign. Just great death metal with a sprinkling of melodic moments. The vocals are harsh, the sound is powerful, and the lyrcis are actually much more positive than the name suggests (and than is typical of the genre).

Ophidius - The Throat of the World. First off, it's a four-track album (still over 20 minutes) dedicated to Skyrim. Ya, the Elder Scrolls Skyrim. Second, it's free on bandcamp. Third, it's really fucking great instrumental metal with some amazing guitar leads, solos, and riffing. The drumming is fantastic, the low-end is superb. This is everything you could ask for in metal, and you have no excuse not to add it to your collection immediately.

I think I've covered a wide enough range of tunes to get you folks through the winter. Good day.
Post Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:01 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

HOTH - OATHBREAKER

album is incredible, and its a great concept album based on.....can you guess?

search for the bandcamp stream
Post Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:36 pm
Captiv8

I remember an Oathbreaker weapon of some kind in Dragon Age, but I assume they're referencing Game of Thrones.
Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:05 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

guess again , listen to the album, and think about the name Hoth , and look at how the Hoth logo is

alot of metal bands use fantasy as their base , lord of the rings , game of thrones , moby dick etc this one is ".... ...."

one more clue that might give it away the concept of the album is the rise and fall of someone
Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:42 am
Captiv8

Neuro wrote:
guess again , listen to the album, and think about the name Hoth , and look at how the Hoth logo is

alot of metal bands use fantasy as their base , lord of the rings , game of thrones , moby dick etc this one is ".... ...."

one more clue that might give it away the concept of the album is the rise and fall of someone

I might have cared if their music was any good. I suppose it'll do for people that like that weird blend of folk and fantasy black metal.
Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:31 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

alright fair enough, i enjoy it though

its

STAR WARS

Hoth is the ice planet from empire strikes back

maybe youll like their first album more INFINITE DARKNESS , its not as folk as you put it, more extreme

----------------------

looking forward to the new wolves in the throne room album too, its going to be all instrumental
Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:33 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next