Search
Register
Buck 65 weighs in with a "Copper Gone" review
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

SFR announcement

Buck 65 weighs in with a "Copper Gone" review  Reply with quote  

Before any music journalists have been able to get their greasy paws on "Copper Gone", the legendary Buck 65 went ahead and wrote an album review for it. The importance of his involvement & support during the tail end of CG's completion can't be understated, but he most humbly left himself out of the review. We'll explain more on that soon. www.tinyurl.com/CopperGoneSFR

Buck 65's CG review below:

"Sage Francis has a new album. Itís called Copper Gone and itís incredible. Itís the kind of record that smacks you in the face first time you hear it. But what makes the record rare is that the more you listen to it, the deeper it will work its way into your bones. Most records are one or the other: it dazzles at first but then the excitement wears off or itís what is referred to as a 'grower' - it doesnít grab you right away, but it grows on you over time with close listens. This record does both.

The album kicks off with the perfect opener - a song called 'Pressure Cooker'. It immediately answers the question Sage Francis fans have had on their minds: 'what took so long?' And it also puts the high expectations to bed the second the beat drops. The song grabs you by the throat and delivers intensity unmatched by any Sage classic. The beat is gigantic. The rapping is nimble and powerful. Sageís confidence and personality are on full display. Itís the kind of song that gets your heart rate up. It will probably inspire many intense workouts for listeners in the gym.

'Pressure Cooker' is a total blitz of everything you want from a rap song. It comes at you hard and furious. Itís a class ĎAí headbanger. The intro of the next song, 'Grace', gives you a few seconds to catch your breath, but then the beat drops and the attack starts up again. But what strikes you this time, even as youíre getting the snot kicked out of you, is how beautiful it is. Itís a beautiful song. But the beauty doesnít inspire a careful, restrained performance from Sage, it inspires him to pry his rib cage open so you can watch his heart burn furiously. It happens again and again on Copper Gone - on songs like 'Over Under' (you win a prize if you can get through the song without saying 'holy shit!'), 'Vonnegut Busy' (which sounds like it was written on the sky) and 'Dead Manís Float' (an instant classic that will be sung by Sageís congregation for the next 500 years).

It takes a rare kind of real man to write a song like 'Thank You'. Sage is the only rapper in the world who could have done it. Listening to it, itís easy to imagine him backed up by a full symphony orchestra. For the next 10-30 years, people will approach Sage after shows and say "'The Set Up' saved my life, man." People will tattoo lyrics from 'ID Thieves' on their bodies. And 'Make ĎEm Purr' is the most moving thing heís ever written. Tears will be shed.

The first few listens of Copper Gone will dazzle and pulverize you. This is the full-on rap record youíve been waiting to hear for a long time. Itís skillful, itís tough, itís funny, itís sad, itís beautiful, itís conflictedÖ The first thing that occurs to you after the initial shock is that you canít call this record a return to the form of records like Personal Journals or A Healthy Distrust because this record is even stronger than anything Sage has done before. Then it occurs to you that no 20 year old kid (not even a 20 year old Sage) could have written this record. This is the sound of a grown man with grey in his beard and mortgage payments kicking the living crap out of any 20 year old rapper that hasnít lived enough to know his ass from his elbow. Sage has an amazing (and very appealing) ability to be humble, vulnerable and self-effacing while sounding supremely confident and indomitable at the same time. And it should give us all hope that a rap record that is first and foremost dope as hell can be made by an honest man whoís pushing 40.

Copper Gone matters."
Post Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:10 pm
Marcus Forealius

Awesome write-up by, Mr. Terfry. This album sounds like it's got instant classic written all over it.
Post Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:38 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

i read just the first of this, i want to wait til i hear the album before reading about it

i do want to say this though, that v-busy track has been stuck in my head embedded the last few days

its catchy AND quality
Post Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:04 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

I love Buck's facebook entries.
He's a very fluid and engaging writer.

That said....
This review has got me more excited for an album since I was a teen.
Post Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:14 am
Jesus Frank

Beautiful write-up, especially knowing the sound of 'Vonnegut Busy' already. The song is such a strong continuation of everything Sage has been about, it's awe-inspiring. Can't wait to have a whole new dense Sage album around it in less than two months.
Post Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:10 pm
Captiv8

This is awesome. I would like to see more artists, in any genre really, objectively reviewing their peers.
Post Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:22 am

Jump to: