Movies, Movies, Movies
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Brynjar

The Lego Movie is really good

Woop Woop
Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:07 pm
Captiv8

Dallas Buyers Club was really excellent. I'm not a big McConaughey fan, as his skillset has always seem better suited for rom-coms, but he absolutely nailed this role. I don't advocate massive weightloss for acting's sake (I'm looking at you Bale), but he (and Jared Leto) looked so horrifically gaunt it was incredible. No one is going to buy that a muscle-bound dude is dying of AIDS. Anyway, the acting was fantastic and I found myself really caring about the characters. There was the added bonus of social commentary as well, as the FDA and pharmaceutical companies were criticized for their extremely poor handling of medication meant to treat AIDS. Great movie.
Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:17 pm
xGasPricesx

Captiv8 wrote:
Dallas Buyers Club was really excellent. I'm not a big McConaughey fan, as his skillset has always seem better suited for rom-coms, but he absolutely nailed this role. I don't advocate massive weightloss for acting's sake (I'm looking at you Bale), but he (and Jared Leto) looked so horrifically gaunt it was incredible. No one is going to buy that a muscle-bound dude is dying of AIDS. Anyway, the acting was fantastic and I found myself really caring about the characters. There was the added bonus of social commentary as well, as the FDA and pharmaceutical companies were criticized for their extremely poor handling of medication meant to treat AIDS. Great movie.

I definitely enjoyed that movie, especially those two performances. It kind of bugged me that it was such a traditional David vs Goliath story, especially after I read that the FDA acted a bit differently than they were portrayed in that movie, I think they had actually willingly turned a blind eye to what Woodruff was doing for awhile. Also, I know there was a big hubbub about them casting Leto in the part of Rayon, when there are plenty of transsexual actresses out there that could have used that role, but at least Leto was pretty great in it. But yeah, McC definitely has a good romcom skillset, but if you have been watching True Detective (highly recommended) or seen Killer Joe or Mud, you can see just how incredibly McC is outside of romcoms in much more serious dramatic roles. Overall, I enjoyed Dallas Buyers Club, but felt as a movie it wasn't exactly anything close to groundbreaking. I sure am glad McC hasn't that new agent though and decided to start taking on these heavy dramatic roles, can't wait to see what he does in Nolan's 'Interstellar'.

And once again, everyone should go see The Lego Movie, some of the most fun I've had in the theatres in a long time. Be warned though, if you are anything like me, it will make you tear up a little bit a few times throughout the movie, and not just from laughter.
Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:44 pm
Captiv8

xGasPricesx wrote:
Captiv8 wrote:

I definitely enjoyed that movie, especially those two performances. It kind of bugged me that it was such a traditional David vs Goliath story, especially after I read that the FDA acted a bit differently than they were portrayed in that movie, I think they had actually willingly turned a blind eye to what Woodruff was doing for awhile. Also, I know there was a big hubbub about them casting Leto in the part of Rayon, when there are plenty of transsexual actresses out there that could have used that role, but at least Leto was pretty great in it. But yeah, McC definitely has a good romcom skillset, but if you have been watching True Detective (highly recommended) or seen Killer Joe or Mud, you can see just how incredibly McC is outside of romcoms in much more serious dramatic roles. Overall, I enjoyed Dallas Buyers Club, but felt as a movie it wasn't exactly anything close to groundbreaking. I sure am glad McC hasn't that new agent though and decided to start taking on these heavy dramatic roles, can't wait to see what he does in Nolan's 'Interstellar'.

Now that McC has won the Oscar for best actor I felt compelled to revisit this post. Dallas Buyer's Club remains an excellent movie, and both McC and Leto deserve their accolades. I can't think of the last time the best actor and best supporting actor where in the same movie, but I think that's a testament to how great they both were in it. I disagree with the thought that there should have been an actual transexual actor in the role of Rayon. Is this not why we call it acting? Why not have an actual transgender person in the role of Felicity Huffman in Transamerica? It's the same sort of thing. I also like to think that the casting was open, giving people the chance to prove themselves. Anyway, both actors, as I said, deserved the praise they received, no question.

I also watched Mud over the weekend, and McC was awesome in that too. It was mostly a reimagining of Tom Sawyer with a little love story thrown it, but it was also fantastic. The two boys they cast were really superb in their roles, and I was really glad they filmed on location as well. It reminded me a lot of my childhood in Alabama, so it had a certain nostalgic quality too. Yet again proof that McC is worthy of respect when he steps away from Kate Hudson and other romantic foils.

But speaking of rom-coms, About Time was absolutely terrific, especially for being the third time-traveling movie Rachel McAdams has done. I thought it was going to be super cheesy, but it actually ended up being a really enduring, and often very funny, look at love and happiness. At no point was it saccharine at all, much like Love Actually. And I actually got a little choked up toward the end. Finally, the lead actor Domhnall Gleason (son of Brendan Gleason from In Bruges, 28 Days Later, and yes, Harry Potter) and McAdams were really believable in the lead roles, both as lovers and later as parents. There was a nice naturalness to everything they did, which is a great feat, I think. I read in the IMDB trivia that at one point Zooey Deschanel was set in the lead female role, and that would have ruined the movie, I have no doubt. Thank God she dropped out. Give this one a chance.
Post Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:40 am
xGasPricesx

Captiv8 wrote:

I disagree with the thought that there should have been an actual transexual actor in the role of Rayon. Is this not why we call it acting? Why not have an actual transgender person in the role of Felicity Huffman in Transamerica? It's the same sort of thing. I also like to think that the casting was open, giving people the chance to prove themselves. Anyway, both actors, as I said, deserved the praise they received, no question.

Like I said before, I do think Leto was great in it, and I'm not entirely sure where I stand on issue in this particular movie. It's entirely possible that the casting director and what not auditioned a bunch of people, trans and not trans, and they decided without prejudice that Leto was the best choice, I certainly can't argue with the results. I think that kind of thing is still a problem in Hollywood as a whole, in casting people to play a certain ethnicity or what have you that don't actually belong to that group, not necessarily because the person cast was best for the part, but because they are someone Hollywood might think audiences are "comfortable" with or whatever. I have no idea if this movie was one of those cases, but I do think it is something that happens. But yeah, Leto was great and I'm certainly not sad to see him get the Oscar.
Post Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:04 pm
Mikal kHill

Watched Inside Llewyn Davis recently. I loved it, but it was pretty soul crushing. hahaha.
Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:44 pm
xGasPricesx

Edge of Tomorrow was really great, the critical praise and hype is totally warranted. It's probably the best "video game movie" ever, and it's not even based on a video game. Cruise's skill set is very well utilized in the film, Emily Blunt is all around badass and I'm madly in love with her character, and the pacing and action is top notch. It's got some great black comedy moments and a pretty awesome supporting role from Bill Paxton. I can't recommend this movie enough, it's by far my favorite summer blockbuster so far, and might be my favorite in many years. Sad to see it's not doing so well domestically right now, although between the decent numbers here and good foreign box office numbers it's far from the flop some people have been calling it, but my hope is that word of mouth continues to get out and more and more people check it out in the coming weeks. I highly recommend it.
Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:59 pm
Captiv8

It's a pity that Tom Cruise is such a douchebag in real life, because he is, I think, an incredible actor. I'd like to see him do something more in line with A Few Good Men or Born on the Fourth of July again though. Those movies required nuance and character development, whereas now he's kind of overdoing the bravado-driven sci-fi character. I would have been happy to see that end with Minority Report (which was awesome). Anyway, I'll probably check this out.
Post Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:48 am
xGasPricesx

I'll put it this way, his character certainly doesn't start out as the superhero like versions he has played in films like Mission Impossible. There's a bit more to his character here, and you'll see what I mean within the first 5 minutes. Seriously though, it is definitely worth the price of admission.
Post Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:08 pm
sneeeeb
COCKRING WRAITH

I've never really understood the massive Tom Cruise hate. Sure, he comes off as a phoney on talk shows, but what we view as some fun thing is probably akin to hanging out with the in-laws for a guy like that.

And sure, the Scientology thing is weird, but so is every other religious belief system out there. So I don't think you can hate just because he is a member of a group that you are wary of for whatever reason.

I'll tell you this much.... Tom Cruise on a Friday night is doing way, way, way less weird shit than 90% of the other movie stars on this planet. If you compare the guy to the average movie star, he is probably one of the few that wouldn't blow your fucking minds with how disgusting their life is.

I like the guy, I dunno.
Post Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:38 pm
Mark in Minnesota

I can't decide if I think Edge of Tomorrow was good, but I'm glad I watched it.
Post Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:45 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

i havent seen the movie yet but i really enjoy tom cruise sci-fi movies

I really liked Oblivion
Post Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:00 pm
Limbs

Tom Cruise is someone who has fully and completely realized and capitalized his potential. He's here to make ridiculous movies totally work. And I'm not mad at him one bit.
Post Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:03 pm
Limbs

Neuro shut up oblivion was garbage. Not even tommy could save that 90 minute commercial.
Post Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:04 pm
Mark in Minnesota

See, Oblivion I definitely did like. I thought it was an interesting deconstruction of the alien invasion genre and did a good job of presenting us with truly alien life. I think Tom Cruise did a good job with a pretty challenging role and that both of his love interests did good jobs with their roles. I thought the film was visually stunning, did a very good job of balancing exposition with direct storytelling, and was well paced with very few wasted scenes or wasted moments.

My feelings about Edge of Tomorrow are more conflicted. It had some of the coolest science fiction elements I've seen depicted on screen, it was well-realized, and the key actors did good jobs with their roles. But the world they showed me wasn't believable, the script took a lot of narrative shortcuts that I think ultimately hurt the story they were trying to tell, and the film's conclusion was such hackneyed deus ex machina shit that I was more annoyed than confused by it.
Post Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:34 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58, 59  Next