Search
Register
"Don't Think" remix contest. And the winner is...
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

SFR announcement

"Don't Think" remix contest. And the winner is...  Reply with quote  

*UPDATE*
What kind of name is Joeypresents and who the hell is this character anyway? Well…whoever he is and wherever he's from, Mr. Joeypresents is officially the WINNER of the "Don't Think" remix contest. CONGRATS, Sir Joeypresents! You can check out all the remixes at tinyurl.com/DontThinkRemixContest

You can listen to all of the remixes here:
www.soundcloud.com/sfr-remix-contest/sets/dont-think-remix-contest

Choosing a winner was not easy for us. There were over 70 remix entries and many of them were strong contenders for the #1 spot. After much deliberation, No Bird Sing and Sage Francis decided that Joeypresents' overall composition, mix and musicality earned him the blue ribbon. There are many honorable mentions to be sure, but a special shout out goes to Dilly Dilly as she was the only producer who made it into everyone's "top 3" list. What ultimately kept Dilly away from the top slot may have been the sound/EQ of the mix, but what we most enjoy about it is the original vocals she added to the project. There were in fact a few people who probably could have probably won this contest with a better overall mix. We can't be too nit-picky as we understand there was a relatively short amount of time for people to bang this remix out, but having a better EQ and overall mix should be kept in mind for future contests.

In addition to the official SFR winner, we had announced that the person who receives the most votes at www.tinyurl.com/DontThinkRemixContest would win the "popular vote" trophy. That honor goes to Moxe of Spain who not only put an electro/danceclub twist to the song but must have put on a hell of a campaign as he got more than double the votes of anyone else. Joeypresents didn't receive a single public vote, which I find interesting to note. Haha. Funny how that works out. Alas, big ups to Moxe for being able to rally so many fans.

Lastly, we want to reiterate how agonizing this whole process. There's a ton of talent out there, people from many different states and countries who deserve recognition for their work, so we're going to leave these remixes up unless it is requested by the producer to take them down. Additionally, feel free to put the music up on your own youtube and soundcloud pages. Thank you all for helping us lose sleep this weekend.

Oh, wait, can't forget why we decided to do this remix contest in the first place…
No Bird Sing's "Definition Sickness" album drops on November 12th. Pre-sale deals are at www.tinyurl.com/DefinitionSickness

Congrats once again to Joeypresents, Dilly Dilly, and Moxe.

www.tinyurl.com/DontThinkRemixContest

Last edited by SFR announcement on Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:33 am; edited 4 times in total
Post Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:25 pm
anomaly
Loserface

Yay! I love these remix contests.
Post Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:28 pm
anomaly
Loserface

Yay! I double posted
Post Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:29 pm
Plum Puddin'

Post Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:23 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I was going to make a joke like "Hey...look at Nicholas Cage getting down!"

And then it turns out it actually is Nicholas Cage.

What are the chances of me getting him to recreate this in a video of mine? Who knows someone who knows someone who help make this happen?
Post Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:39 pm
CriticalTheory_Breakfast

Sage Francis wrote:
I was going to make a joke like "Hey...look at Nicholas Cage getting down!"

And then it turns out it actually is Nicholas Cage.

What are the chances of me getting him to recreate this in a video of mine? Who knows someone who knows someone who help make this happen?

I think he's too stupid to know that cashing in on the Nick Cage novelty would be good for his career.
Post Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:36 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Here are the 27 entries that have made it through our finicky filtration system as of October 3rd:

TO VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE REMIX, LEAVE A COMMENT AT www.tinyurl.com/DontThinkRemixContest WITH THE PRODUCER’S NAME! On October 10th we will no longer accept submissions. At that point, No Bird Sing and I will take the weekend to decide who the winner is based on what the public has determined are the top 10 remixes.
Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:05 pm
Captiv8

At first I thought the Dilly Dilly one was off the mark, but it's the one that I keep getting drawn back to. It's those soft vocal touches.

I love the Primo feel of DJ High-r's rendition.

I really loved Manic's beat, but wanted to see it erupt at some point.

White Guilt's remix has some serious retro bounce vibes to it, and I can picture myself cruising to it in the summer.

Skobie Won provides what is probably the most spastically fun remix I've heard in a while.

I think Auxilliary Phoenix's remix has the appropriate feel for the subject matter of the song.

I like B Sendio's beat a lot, but the over-manipulation of the chorus seems out of place somehow.

Lars Rosenblad provides the most likeable beat, according to my tastes.

Scott Chambers may be the winner here. He provides the remix that is the most hip-hop, again according to my standards, as this was the only track I really nodded my head to. I also think the tone of th beat matches the tone of the lyrics really well, as it somehow sounds despairing.
Post Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:15 am
Flawed Logic

Location: Austin, TX - Albuquerque, NM - Kalamazoo, MI - Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

I really like the Dilly Dilly remix along with a few others that have already been listed. I'm sure there will be some more to come before the deadline is up. Theory 77 killed it last time on the Bad Things Redux. With that being said, I'm still impartial to my own remix, listed as: Jesse Blankenship (plug)

Congrats and good luck to everyone involved. Thanks again to SFR, Sage and No Bird Sing for putting on another great remix contest. I can't imagine how much work and hard it is to shift through all of these and come up with a winner.
Post Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:17 am
Brynjar

Manic is my fav. by far
Post Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:46 am
cubbiebear

hey fellas. I sent in a remix. Just wondering if it was received in time to get up for the vote. If not I can use it for something else but was hoping to make it in. Just checking to make sure I didn't send it to the wrong place.
Post Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:28 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

cubbiebear wrote:
hey fellas. I sent in a remix. Just wondering if it was received in time to get up for the vote. If not I can use it for something else but was hoping to make it in. Just checking to make sure I didn't send it to the wrong place.

Yes, the remixes that were sent after this first wave was published will go live this weekend. Still haven't had a chance to go through them yet. But at that point we'll leave all the top remixes open to the public for voting.
Post Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:11 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Below are the 70 remixes that are eligible to win the "Don't Think" remix contest.
You can listen to them all here:

TO VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE REMIX, LEAVE A COMMENT AT www.tinyurl.com/DontThinkRemixContest WITH THE PRODUCER’S NAME! Voting will stay open through October 14th. The SFR winner and the "public opinion" winner will be announced on October 15th.

As we don't expect most people to check out every remix, you can skim through the names and my notes to see if anything catches your attention before listening.

www.tinyurl.com/DontThinkRemixContest
Post Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:56 am
Plum Puddin'

Post Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:54 pm
SFR announcement

What kind of name is Joeypresents and who the hell is this character anyway? Well…whoever he is and wherever he's from, Mr. Joeypresents is officially the WINNER of the "Don't Think" remix contest. CONGRATS, Sir Joeypresents! You can check out all the remixes at tinyurl.com/DontThinkRemixContest

You can listen to all of the remixes here:

Choosing a winner was not easy for us. There were over 70 remix entries and many of them were strong contenders for the #1 spot. After much deliberation, No Bird Sing and Sage Francis decided that Joeypresents' overall composition, mix and musicality earned him the blue ribbon. There are many honorable mentions to be sure, but a special shout out goes to Dilly Dilly as she was the only producer who made it into everyone's "top 3" list. What ultimately kept Dilly away from the top slot may have been the sound/EQ of the mix, but what we most enjoy about it is the original vocals she added to the project. There were in fact a few people who probably could have probably won this contest with a better overall mix. We can't be too nit-picky as we understand there was a relatively short amount of time for people to bang this remix out, but having a better EQ and overall mix should be kept in mind for future contests.

In addition to the official SFR winner, we had announced that the person who receives the most votes at www.tinyurl.com/DontThinkRemixContest would win the "popular vote" trophy. That honor goes to Moxe of Spain who not only put an electro/danceclub twist to the song but must have put on a hell of a campaign as he got more than double the votes of anyone else. Joeypresents didn't receive a single public vote, which I find interesting to note. Haha. Funny how that works out. Alas, big ups to Moxe for being able to rally so many fans.

Lastly, we want to reiterate how agonizing this whole process. There's a ton of talent out there, people from many different states and countries who deserve recognition for their work, so we're going to leave these remixes up unless it is requested by the producer to take them down. Additionally, feel free to put the music up on your own youtube and soundcloud pages. Thank you all for helping us lose sleep this weekend.

Oh, wait, can't forget why we decided to do this remix contest in the first place…
No Bird Sing's "Definition Sickness" album drops on November 12th. Pre-sale deals are at www.tinyurl.com/DefinitionSickness

Congrats once again to Joeypresents, Dilly Dilly, and Moxe.
Post Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:40 pm

Jump to: