Search
Register
NFL and College Football 2013-2014
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

New England begins their season 3-0 for the first time since 2007. And with the worst looking team I've seen since I was a kid. Amazing. Going all the way this year, baby! ALL THE WAY.
Post Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:45 pm
redball

Captiv8 wrote:
Two things: I'm tired of these fluffy four games before conference play in college football. Aside from the rare upset, which sadly justifies the practice, these games are demoralizing for the lesser program and unchallenging for the well-known programs. They are not a barometer of success, or the quality of your team. For example, Ohio State and Louisville, who played FAMU and FIU respectively, won by a combined total of 148-0. What? First of all, teams shouldn't be scoring 70+ points in a game. It's like playing on the easiest difficulty in a video game and using cheat codes, then bragging about it. Why not have Ohio State and Louisville, both top ten teams, play each other? That would have been much more exciting. I know these garbage games offer the small team national exposure, but they're also incredibly boring and almost inevitably lopsided. Up the ante.

You're just tiring of these now? I can't remember a time when these games didn't happen. I do remember, ironically, when Ohio State would participate in such games but would never run up the score. Go back to the Cooper era and you'll see they rarely ran up more than 35 points on teams like that. It used to be far less common to stack all these games early in the season. The problem is that if you look back to that era you'll also see that Florida schools consistently ran up points on weaker opponents and were rewarded for it by computers and humans alike. Is it any wonder that other schools would pick up on the practice? It's really unsurprising considering Meyer is coaching.

I'm not trying to excuse the FAMU game. I don't know that they've even done this sort of thing before. I just can fathom growing tired of it now, after it's been going on for at least 20 years. Is it just because it happens more in your own back yard now?
Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:44 am
Captiv8

redball wrote:
Captiv8 wrote:
Two things: I'm tired of these fluffy four games before conference play in college football. Aside from the rare upset, which sadly justifies the practice, these games are demoralizing for the lesser program and unchallenging for the well-known programs. They are not a barometer of success, or the quality of your team. For example, Ohio State and Louisville, who played FAMU and FIU respectively, won by a combined total of 148-0. What? First of all, teams shouldn't be scoring 70+ points in a game. It's like playing on the easiest difficulty in a video game and using cheat codes, then bragging about it. Why not have Ohio State and Louisville, both top ten teams, play each other? That would have been much more exciting. I know these garbage games offer the small team national exposure, but they're also incredibly boring and almost inevitably lopsided. Up the ante.

You're just tiring of these now? I can't remember a time when these games didn't happen. I do remember, ironically, when Ohio State would participate in such games but would never run up the score. Go back to the Cooper era and you'll see they rarely ran up more than 35 points on teams like that. It used to be far less common to stack all these games early in the season. The problem is that if you look back to that era you'll also see that Florida schools consistently ran up points on weaker opponents and were rewarded for it by computers and humans alike. Is it any wonder that other schools would pick up on the practice? It's really unsurprising considering Meyer is coaching.

I'm not trying to excuse the FAMU game. I don't know that they've even done this sort of thing before. I just can fathom growing tired of it now, after it's been going on for at least 20 years. Is it just because it happens more in your own back yard now?

You and Icarus are conflating me posting about it now with me tiring of it now. It's been stale and tiresome well before this season. I've known it, you've known it, and just about everyone has known it. My big concern is the egregiousness of it, as evidenced in the massive running up of the scores. It's unacceptable, not to mention unnecessary, especially in shutouts. I think the early scheduling is unsportsmanlike, and also points to how the sport has been transformed into another capitalist enterprise, where the money both teams receive to play each other takes precedence over the competitive urge. It also pertains to the issue of college athletes, as opposed to just their institutions, being paid for their services. The whole thing is a mess, and Ohio State and Louisville have really made that evident this weekend.

Also, it's very clear to me that Teddy Bridgewater is gunning for the Heisman, and a frontrunner to actually receive it. From what I've seen he has the right skillset to succeed at the pro level as well, so for right now, I'd take him over Mariota at Oregon and certainly over Manziel. I haven't seen Todd Gurley in action, so I can't speak to his deservedness. I don't think Tahj Boyd is quite the caliber of Mariota or Bridgewater, collegiately speaking, so I think he's out of contention. We'll see.
Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:12 am
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

The A.D.s of these tiny schools don't have to accept those kind of games, but they want airplane and hotel money to keep their program and their career alive.

College is a business.
College sports is just an offshoot.

Fuck the NCAA and it's rules.
Let the kids get paid and run up scores.
Post Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:13 am
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Post Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:49 pm
Captiv8

This is the first season in his career that Reggie Bush has looked really impressive to me. He's always looked like a solid back, but never one you'd want on every single down. Now he's been awesomely productive, and is factoring into how well the Lions are doing offensively. Detroit needs to tighten the defensive belt though, big time. Nearly blowing it at home to Chicago would have been a disaster.

As far as fantasy teams go, I've had a monster week here with SFR but another bad week in my other league where money is on the table. I was boned in the draft, and Rodgers' terrible performance last week didn't help either. And Stevie Jackson, who average 15 points per week thus far, earned me all of 1 point yesterday. Thanks for nothing, Stevie. I'm hurtin over there, folks, and my only salve is the SFR league. So thanks SFR.
Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:06 am
tommi teardrop

So I have to share this. Coming into tonight I was leading my fantasy game by around 32 points. The guy I'm facing has Brees, who goes nuts and scores 32.5 which gives him the lead by .2 points. End of the game, saints get the ball back, kneel on it three times and Brees loses 3 rushing yards giving me the .1 win.

Perhaps the greatest win in fantasy history if the stats don't get corrected.

Win by triple kneel down!
Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:02 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

I lost a week by 0.5 points on a MNF game once...

..then got awarded with a 0.5 win on Tuesday morning stat corrections.
Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:43 am
Limbs

I'm way more optimistic about this 3-1 start than I was about their 5-0 start 2 years ago. They look in control. Suh + Fairley = bad news for that struggling GB O-Line and Rodgers. They still gotta stop overpursuing though. Rodgers will have 20 yard TD run. But I can't believe I'm picking the Lions in Green Bay with a straight face. Bush changes everything. We can overcome Stafford making two bad throws a game and a shallow secondary.

I think the Lions win a huge, emotional game in Lambeou. That's right.
Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:31 am
Captiv8

Like I said above, the acquisition of Reggie Bush may have been the best move the Lions have made since selecting Calvin Johnson. Instead of relying on an unproven collegiate back straight from the draft, we've hitched our horse to Bush, who has been reliable and has the benefit of winning a Super Bowl. Having the ever present threat of Johnson deep also opens the field up a bit more for Bush as a dump off or screen option, which really helps. Finally, the o-line seems to provide Stafford with a bit more protection. My biggest concern right now is the Lions secondary, which nearly blew the game against Chicago. It's for this reason that I am very worried about Rodgers connecting with Jordy Nelson and James Jones downfield many, many times. Thankfully we do have the dual presence of Suh and Fairley, as well as a developing Ansah. If we can put pressure on Rodgers I'm hoping Delmas and company can step up with some picks.
Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:57 am
Limbs

When was the last time you could say the Detroit Lions beat the Chicago Bears IN THE TRENCHES? I can't remember. Our Lines are showing up. Bush is surprising me but this whole offseason was really well done by Mayhew. We'll see about late round picks panning out but the big three signings of Quinn, Jones and Bush is showing to be pivotal, even with Jones out for the season. He was playing real well. Resigning Delmas was also really important. CJ Mosely showing to be a good depth signing. And yeah, Ansah looks to be in a perfect situation to really blossom. The Bush signing was big but it's nothing without the other acquisitions. We would not be 3-1 without those other guys. We are 1-0 without Bush.

Burleson going down is losing a lot of productivity and I'll never trust Perttigrew to hold on to the ball consistently. So I'm worried about the receivers. Hopefully Broyles will come along.
Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:14 pm
Captiv8

Limbs wrote:
Burleson going down is losing a lot of productivity and I'll never trust Perttigrew to hold on to the ball consistently. So I'm worried about the receivers. Hopefully Broyles will come along.

Ya, I really want to see Broyles step it up this year. Otherwise, chuck him. And I also think Joseph Fauria should be getting more snaps than Pettigrew. The latter is all butterfingers, and I'm sick of it. In my opinion a tight end is an absolutely vital part of the game, from blocking to tough yardage situations to clearing out the defense decoy-style to the occasional slant route. Pettigrew can't get it done. Move on to Fauria and Scheffler.
Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:36 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Broyles was the greatest college receiver ever.

Ever.

He torn ligs in one knee one year..
The other knee the other year...

If he ever gets healthy knees (no Greg Oden)...
he will be a great compliment to calvin and matt..
....and Bush.

Rieff and Warford are impressing me.
Makes me think Mayhew knows how to draft on his own.
Post Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:39 pm
desert penguin

Fantasy question:

How do the Seahawks, giving up 20 points, with 1 fumble recovery, 2 interceptions, 4 sacks, and a touchdown

score the same amount of fantasy points as

the Houston Texans, giving up 23 points, with 1 fumble recovery, 1 interception, 5 sacks and NO touchdowns ???

They both scored 11 points in standard ESPN fantasy leagues, and that befuddles me, if only because it cost me a game.
Post Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:07 pm
Captiv8

Watched the DVRed Browns-Bills game from last night. Man, I feel really bad for Brian Hoyer. The guy gets his first couple of NFL starts and looks really good, and then WHAM, torn ACL, end of the season, and probably the end of his career as well. He might be a backup, but I can't see him getting starts anywhere. Terrible situation for him.

And now EJ Manuel is jacked up, Jeff Tuel looks like one, and the Bills desparetely need a QB. I'm thinking the probably pick up Freeman, though Matt Leinart and Byron Leftwich are also likely options. Very glad I decided to sit Stevie Johnson and jettison Robert Woods this week. That was almost bad news bears. Also looks like I'm going to give Blount a shot from New England. My starting backs are all on bye in my non-SFR league, and I need somebody who starts (poor Ridley) to have a decent week.

Oh, and Kiko Alonso is shaping up to be defensive rookie of the year. What a beast. And I do believe Robert Woods will be an excellent receiver, but he needs to have an accurate quarterback to get him the ball.
Post Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:33 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next