Search
Register
BREAKING BAD : Final Episodes
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

xGasPricesx wrote:

I saw this on reddit a couple weeks ago, and it's still the one of the dumbest things I have ever seen. It takes so many things completely out of context and makes so many bullshit false comparisons it's not even worth it to spend any more time talking about how dumb it really is. I guess this how people who still actively root for Walt watch this show though, which is kind of sad, but whatever. Also, you don't have to love Jesse to hate Walt, or vice versa. Both have made some big mistakes and done some bad things, although at this point I don't see how it isn't obvious that Walt has made much bigger mistakes than Jesse.

why do you have to "root" for anyone? its not a sports game, just watch it from all angles/perspectives and see how it ends
Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:38 am
xGasPricesx

You don't have to root for anyone, that's what I was trying to say. Some people like to get invested in particular characters and hope the best for them, but it doesn't look like anyone is coming out of this better off, and likely very few will even mke it out alive.
Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:26 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

i didnt mean you specifically , just in general to all
Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:41 pm
tommi teardrop

I think the "bad fan" stuff is stupid. Like no shit Walt is a bad guy. It's the name of the show.

As the Sopranos ended I didn't root for a RICO case against tony so that he could be punished for all the bad shit he did, most of which was much worse than what Walt has done. The worlds that Walt and Tony live in force them to do bad shit.

What is the worst thing that Walt has done? Let the junkie die? Kinda poison the kid? Order hits on the other bad guys? Lie to his wife?

Other than Marie, virtually every character has blood on their hands. I don' t get why it is being a "bad fan" by rooting for Walt. I don't need my favorite tv character to have karma bite them in the ass. I just need to be entertained.

Team Walt.
Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:22 pm
xGasPricesx

For sure, figured I would clarify though cause my first post might have been a bit confusing. Breaking Bad had been driving me to the bottle recently after episodes, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to clarify.
Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:23 pm
mancabbage

tommi teardrop wrote:
I think the "bad fan" stuff is stupid. Like no shit Walt is a bad guy. It's the name of the show.

As the Sopranos ended I didn't root for a RICO case against tony so that he could be punished for all the bad shit he did, most of which was much worse than what Walt has done. The worlds that Walt and Tony live in force them to do bad shit.

What is the worst thing that Walt has done? Let the junkie die? Kinda poison the kid? Order hits on the other bad guys? Lie to his wife?

Other than Marie, virtually every character has blood on their hands. I don' t get why it is being a "bad fan" by rooting for Walt. I don't need my favorite tv character to have karma bite them in the ass. I just need to be entertained.

Team Walt.

i would love it if walt goes home, caps everyone then takes a lil holiday to vegas and gets high on his blue shit like tony soprano did.

doubt it'll happen though,

i just hope walt jr gets to finally release the sneeze he's been on the verge of since the start of season 1.

anna gunn's acting is killing me though, that baby scene. motherfucker
Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:12 pm
anomaly
Loserface

mancabbage wrote:

i just hope walt jr gets to finally release the sneeze he's been on the verge of since the start of season 1.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaha, so wrong, but funny
Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:03 pm
Prontoid

tommi teardrop wrote:

How about putting hundreds of millions of dollars (street value) of meth into society?
Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:11 pm
CaptainFantasy

Prontoid wrote:
tommi teardrop wrote:

How about putting hundreds of millions of dollars (street value) of meth into society?

Dumb. We could argue addicts and availability of drugs. We could also discuss new drugs on the market and how that influences new users. Let's even take it a step further and discuss addicts/new users using more because of the availability of a new improved drug on the market. Preferably we'd just enjoy the show and not have to dig this deep.

Edit: I get where you're going with that but I think you're digging too deep. Let the show run its course.
Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:35 pm
remind

tommi teardrop wrote:

Team Walt.

Would you suddenly not be entertained if karma did bite him in the ass? For me, it's not simply rooting for Walt that makes you a "bad fan", it's the typical rhetoric that usually comes with it. The willingness to attack other characters for what they've done while not doing it to Walt. Poor Walt who has cancer and just wanted to do this for his family. He was "forced" to do everything he did. I don't know, maybe I'm just tired of people hating on Skylar and calling her a cunt. It's of course easier to root for Walt now because the show's ending, everything has fallen apart for him and who wants to see Todd and Jack win? The show is so damn intense, Cranston is so damn good that he can do virtually anything and there will be people out there to justify it. I wasn't aware of the "bad fan" terminology until I read that article and realized that there are viewers out there who fit a mold. We're all deeply invested in these characters and people's reactions to them can be telling.

But I don't care about this anymore cuz there's only one more episode lefttttt. :(
Post Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:56 am
Juan
girls don juan anything to do with me

I'm just enjoying the ride and not really rooting for anyone to survive. Walts obviously going to die, so it's all about who he takes with him. This is the kind of finale people have been waiting for since Sopranos ended and I have no doubt this finale will be better. (although I've come to appreciate the Sopranos finale more over time)
Post Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:07 am
Marcus Forealius

Conan had the whole cast on as guests last night. It was kinda cool to see them reflect on their time doing the show.

I've refrained from trying to speculate what this final episode is going to bring all but except hoping we get to see Jesse smoke Meth Damon.

Post Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:33 am
FranktheP

Meth Damon is a fascinating character. When he first came into the picture I thought he would be gone quick especially after killing the little boy. But now he is a major player in this whole thing. His smirk when Jesse was retelling the story of that killing and then his killing of Andrea was just classic psycho behavior. Great character. I still wonder if he was looking around for Brock to kill him too or to make sure he wasn't around when he killed his Mom.

This show and how it shows people's greed keeps suprising me. From the Nazi's pushing more dope though they have $70+ million, Hank dying with a barrell of money he can never use-unbelieveable. I like how it is showing how the choices people make can effect more people then just them. Universal theme but how the writers are showing it is absolutely amazing to watch. And the emmy's won were well earned.
Post Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:04 am
corporateslave

FranktheP wrote:
I still wonder if he was looking around for Brock to kill him too or to make sure he wasn't around when he killed his Mom.

He definitely wasn't looking to kill Brock because then Jesse would have no reason to do anything they say. He'd rather die than work as a slave for the gang. They killed Andrea to show they mean business so he'd fall in line.

On a side note, I think most people "rooting" for Walt aren't necessarily apologists for the bad things he's done. I think there's the underlying psychological angle that if Walt doesn't emerge victorious in some way that everything was done in vain, but if he's able to get the money to his family then all the bad things that happened weren't really for nothing. But at this point the real kink in that plan is it seems like his family probably wouldn't even accept his money if he got it. I'm interested to see how he tries to redeem himself and/or exact his revenge in the final episode.

Walt is such a great character because he is so conflicted. I think he got into the business for noble reasons - he was scared and wanted to provide for his family, but as he got into it the business changed him. It's a true Darth Vader transformation where his small weaknesses slowly lead to his undoing (at least, that's how the Darth Vader transformation would have gone if the prequels were written well.) That being said, there is a clear logic to how Walt operates for the most part. Except for a few instances late in the series, he only does what he deems necessary by the situation, but what happens is that the magnitude of the bad things he has to do grows because after a certain point he is no longer in control of the situation, it's in control of him.

The times I think he deviates from his logic of necessity is when he killed Mike, and when he turned Jesse over to the Nazis. Also, he obviously becomes consumed by growing his operation because he is bitter about his past at Gray Matter.

Anyway, Walter White is a fascinating character to think about and discuss, such a great show.
Post Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:25 pm
AdamBomb

The reason this show is so good is because of the writing and the complexity of the characters (and acting out of these complexities). The fact you can push for Walt in spite of the horrible things he's done (or Jesse) is because its more complicated than an article or list of pros/cons. There's hours and hours of emotions and story invested. The only pro I am is pro-Vince Gilligan, because I trust off of the strength so far I know he wont let me down. For every bad thing Walt has done, he's done other things that make you empathize of feel for him. Same with Skyler.

The show is more than about a singular concept of greed, hubris, revenge, etc...its kind of a culmination of all those things and not just one point you can sum up in a sentence, imo.

This show is >>> any other show.

Good article, heeya:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/09/23/breaking-bad-granite-state-writer/
Post Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:44 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next