Profile
Search
Register
Log in
Big Sean, Kendrick Lamar, & Jay Electronica song Control
View previous topic | View next topic >

Post new topic Reply to topic
Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Author Message
futuristxen



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 19373
Location: Tighten Your Bible Belt
 Reply with quote  

Soo overrated. Who did he diss even?

I like Kendrick okay. But I like listening to a lot of the lazy rappers ruining hiphop even more.

Also his list of legends makes me feel old.

The reason no one is responding is because what is there to respond to?

Kendrick is too friendly with all of the guys he named to say anything.
Post Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:36 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP


Joined: 19 Jul 2002
Posts: 7789
 Reply with quote  

i guess its not really a diss, its more of a shoulder check, like hey wtf step it up, enough is enough type deal

still waiting though..,....
Post Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:40 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
futuristxen



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 19373
Location: Tighten Your Bible Belt
 Reply with quote  

What are you waiting for?
Post Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:24 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous


Joined: 30 Jun 2002
Posts: 21597
 Reply with quote  

futuristxen wrote:
The reason no one is responding is because what is there to respond to?


I agree with the overall sentiment of your post, but I have no idea about what you say when you say "no one is responding." If you mean that the (FEW) high profile people he mentioned in the verse aren't responding, OK. But I don't remember the last time a rapper was able to get so many "response" songs ever. Let alone based on one relatively mediocre verse. So many responses that I'll never hear them all as it's hardly worth the time it would take to listen to them.
Post Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:25 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP


Joined: 19 Jul 2002
Posts: 7789
 Reply with quote  

futuristxen wrote:
What are you waiting for?


the shoulder check is in place

the responses are happening but nothin worth while

there needs to be a shoulder check back
Post Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:26 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
futuristxen



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 19373
Location: Tighten Your Bible Belt
 Reply with quote  

Sage Francis wrote:
futuristxen wrote:
The reason no one is responding is because what is there to respond to?


I agree with the overall sentiment of your post, but I have no idea about what you say when you say "no one is responding." If you mean that the (FEW) high profile people he mentioned in the verse aren't responding, OK. But I don't remember the last time a rapper was able to get so many "response" songs ever. Let alone based on one relatively mediocre verse. So many responses that I'll never hear them all as it's hardly worth the time it would take to listen to them. I know that much.


Yeah I meant of the rappers named. The rest is more a response to how viral it went. Its like gangham style for rappers ive never heard of right now. And that's interesting for sure.
Post Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:30 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
futuristxen



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 19373
Location: Tighten Your Bible Belt
 Reply with quote  

Neuro wrote:
futuristxen wrote:
What are you waiting for?


the shoulder check is in place

the responses are happening but nothin worth while

there needs to be a shoulder check back


What is a shoulder check?
Post Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:34 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP


Joined: 19 Jul 2002
Posts: 7789
 Reply with quote  

The act of intentionally bumping another person's shoulder with your own shoulder as you walk past them. It is meant as a display of open aggression or simple disrespect depending on how roughly the shoulder check is performed.
Janet shoulder checked Denise on her way out, hoping for a fight.
Post Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:44 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
anomaly
Loserface


Joined: 22 May 2008
Posts: 2579
Location: DFW, TX
 Reply with quote  

why are we fighting?
Post Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:35 am
 View user's profile Send private message
Limbs



Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 903
 Reply with quote  

I don't think he was listing "legends". He was listing his contemporaries. His immediate "competition". Why would he say he's trying to murder Kool G Rap?
Post Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:18 am
 View user's profile Send private message
futuristxen



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 19373
Location: Tighten Your Bible Belt
 Reply with quote  

Limbs wrote:
I don't think he was listing "legends". He was listing his contemporaries. His immediate "competition". Why would he say he's trying to murder Kool G Rap?


I believe you will find two lists in the song. And that one list is more applicable to what I said than the one you chose.

I'm just saying its weird to hear Andre 3000. Eminem. And jay-z as legends. It speaks to the fact Kendrick is a little younger than me.

Its like rappers who mystify bone thugs and harmony.

So surreal.
Post Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:52 am
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Limbs



Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 903
 Reply with quote  

He hears people argue about who's the greatest in barbershops. Was that his list of the greatest? I don't know but who cares. They are names people today know. He's demanding their audience.
Post Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:14 am
 View user's profile Send private message
futuristxen



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 19373
Location: Tighten Your Bible Belt
 Reply with quote  

He's demanding their audience? Ha.
I don't agree with the swwagger you and Neuro are attributing to Kendrick or this song.

I mean when you compare this to something like the takeover, it's just so blunted, imprecise, and cowardly. Going back even farther to like any major diss song in hiphop history, this is just weak.

He doesn't diss a single rapper by name in the entire song. The guys he names are all on some "I want to be better than you" which isn't even a diss.

Jay on Takeover was just straight up "I already AM better than you, Nas"

And that actually did cause Nas to raise his game.

This is like maybe on the level of I used to Love H.E.R. in terms of what it's actually saying, and how hard it is actually calling anything out. maybe not even that.

I think this diss is actually emblematic of the very things he's complaining about, and that people in general are complaining about in hiphop today.

A mealymouthed diss that is more about not really burning his connections buried behind a bunch of wack rappers...yeah he's saving hiphop here. Brave stuff.
Post Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:33 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Limbs



Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 903
 Reply with quote  

You missed the part where I personally don't have strong feelings for the verse one way or the other. Sure it was fine. I listened a couple more times just because and no it's not good enough to spend much time defending. But I think his body of work allows for a pretty simple, straightforward verse. He's demanding those other rappers audiences like that. I don't think the verse is a diss. I don't think Kendrick does either. It was a feature verse that shook the genre. That's pretty cool coming from someone who deserves it. Kendrick demands a wide audience.

I don't know about "saving hiphop". It is what it is. But I like hiphop a lot and it's really cool to see someone widely celebrated for doing it well.
Post Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:56 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Limbs



Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 903
 Reply with quote  

And Nas never got better.
Post Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:58 pm
 View user's profile Send private message

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
All times are GMT - 6 Hours.
The time now is Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:37 pm
  Display posts from previous:      


Powered by phpBB: © 2001 phpBB Group
Template created by The Fathom
Based on template of Nick Mahon