Search
Register
How'd you find this forum? How has it influenced you?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

dri

I started listening to hip-hop in high school and Sage catalyzed that.

I've met some of the most amazing people in my life on this forum and even dated one of you dudes for two years (we connected through a thread about Phish and met up at a Phish show, how hip-hop).

Also, the venison sting thread is one of my best anecdotes of all time. God, I love that story. I want it included in my eulogy.
Post Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:09 pm
RoNn1e

Man. I started lurking this forum after I heard "Crack Pipes" and finally joined in 2003. I was blown away by the fact that such an amazing artist was openly communicating with fans on a daily basis. I joined the forum because I wanted to talk to Sage..haha. I remember how cool I felt when Sage responded to my first introductory post. And in retrospect, I never would of thought that I would have met so many cool people from an online forum. I've met quite a few of you guys (and girls) and have always enjoyed your company. I've lost touch with a lot of you over the years, mostly because I lost touch with my true self since joining and getting out of the military. It's been a hell of a road, but, after years of shit, I'm finally back to who I was before I made that decision. I was planning on seeing some of you in Chicago on the 8th when B. is in town, but, I'm going to school in Lansing and I have class that day. I hope you all have been well :-)
Post Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:39 pm
xGasPricesx

Bumping this thread just to state that another reason I love this forum is the fact that shameless self-promotion threads, especially from people who never post here, are swiftly deleted and banished to the 12th circle of hell. Any time I have seen one on here, they have disappeared within an hour or two of being posted. The moderation of this forum is top notch, and is one of the many reasons I continue to come back.
Post Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:36 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Thanks. Yeah, we've moderated this forum to the point where it's nearly inactive. Because usually the only people who want to post on a forum these days are the ones who want to promote their music. But I prefer inactivity over that. If they don't have their own site, people can use twitter/facebook/soundcloud/vine/instagram/myspace to promote themselves.
Post Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:54 am
Mikal kHill

I discovered this forum because I was a member of the previous forum. I met some of my closest homies like Shane Hall and Jesse Dangerously here. I've had a stalker thanks to this forum. I've had a lot of awesome convos with folks on here. I still come here and check out what's going on, but I think a big part of why I've largely swore off messageboards is that I'm pretty much totally over arguing on the internet.

To a degree the forum now serves as a time capsule for me, and a written record of growing up and evolving into the person I am now. That is awesome on some levels and embarrassing on others considering some of my younger-self's ideas and views not always being kosher with how I feel and act now.
Post Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:33 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Mikal kHill wrote:
To a degree the forum now serves as a time capsule for me...

There's a big part of me that is glad HipHopInfinity.com and Keystyles.com's messageboards aren't around any more... and I wasn't known as T-Wrex on rec.music.hip-hop... but I kinda like the fact that I can lurk on my younger self and think to my current self like, "you fucking idiot.."..
Post Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:19 pm
breakfast

I haven't posted here in a year or so maybe, but I'm planning a comeback. I've been reflecting on my internet time wasting in general, and how this board has affected me is something I've been thinking about recently, and I think it's been a positive influence on me in a lot of ways, in shaping my political outlook, as well as exposing me to a bunch of art, music, and opinions I wouldn't have come across otherwise.

But I've also recently gone through some of my older posts and come to a pretty similar conclusion about being an idiot when I was young, especially with trying to defend positions I definitely wouldn't now. In terms of how this board has affected me, I think it's made me more politically progressive than I would have been without the interactions I've had on here, and when I go through my old posts I'm able to see how I developed my opinions via butting heads with a whole bunch of people.

Here's my big example: My initial conception of transgendered people, from the standpoint of a dumbass hetero white male 20 year old with half a Bachelor's in Biology, was that there was a neurological mismatch between gender identification and chromosomal sex, and that while I thought transgender people shouldn't be discriminated against, I also felt that gender reassignment was to accommodate to some developmental accident, and that this deviation from the biological gender norm, while not "unnatural", was probably maladaptive. And I made some logically suspect assertions that basically amounted to relying on naturalistic fallacy and reductive interpretations of cultural gender dynamics to support my opinion.

And I read that opinion now and I just cringe, for all sorts of reasons. From a scientific standpoint, I was wrong, being a know-it-all without actually knowing much. But the most embarrassing part is that, why would I even consider making that point? I had no conception of how my really poor interpretation of biology and genetics could be hurtful to people, and how that sort of language has been used historically to do awful things to anyone whose gender identification doesn't match a cultural norm. So I'd like to apologize for holding those opinions at one point, and appreciate that I was called out for them.

I'd like to think that I'm more thoughtful in my views now, and reading through my old posts has been a great exercise in watching my opinions develop, but it's also really uncomfortable.
Post Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:56 am
INFP7

I was looking at the mini-midwest tour coming up (which I will be attending) and saw FORUM and it spoke to me, "Join me! Join me!". To which I did..............

The first time ever hearing anything about Sage Francis was my brother doing his take of "Inherited Scars" to me. It was great and all but I really wasn't a fan of hip hop.

Then I got a CD of Sage,. Yeah...well....I was like sure, okay...Mind you, I like soft sad sappy love shit, so no offense, Sage. I wasn't immediately in love with this new genre. But then "Runaways" came on and that got me. Yep. That was the song that connected. (Now I must listen to it).

This was years ago, and no music has yet to inspire me like this. The lyrics, the brilliance, the delivery, the total package is just . Enough to get me to a hip hop show, not just once but multiple times. Not just local but thousands of miles away. If I were a painter my hero would be Van Gough. If I were a sculptor-Donatello. As a writer- it's Sage Francis.

What got me here though, in this forum, was my desire to have some sort of connection to the world while I sit in solitude having no other options of connection to people, in this shitty small town I live in other then Facebook; which is not a feasible option if I want to feel unrestricted from censorship. I figured this was the best place to attempt to converse with others on an intellectual level.

So Hi, thanks for having me.
Post Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:48 pm
Hinhale

I first found Sage back in 2005 through the last.fm radio service. I wasn't listening to hiphop in any way at the time. It was all about metal, electronica, hardcore, and country for me at the time. Suddenly a song by Buck 65 comes on and it was unlike aything I had ever heard. I made a mental note to myself to check it out more. A few songs later "Sea Lion" comes on and I just about lost my shit.
Been hooked ever since and my tastes in hiphop is ever expanding.

I like to lurk around this forum every once in a while because it is one of the few places on the net that seems to attract thinking, litterate people. And as a hiphop novice, I got tons of info on music.

I miss last.fm radio. Is there anything similar out there?
Post Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:16 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7