Search
Register
"WORKING MAN" LP - Prolyphic & Buddy Peace
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > SFR Artists, Albums & Merch!

smake

I like the fact that people who got the physicial record got an extra track. Which you were kind enough to release in mp3 for free.

Also good to hear that there are a couple of songs left that didn't make the record. The more the better.

Too bad the lyrics aren't included with the cd though. The production (which is awesome) sometimes makes it a bit difficult for me to hear the lyrics. But that's nitpicking. Loving the record so far. Still gonna need lots of spins to really soak in, but there are some hard hitting tracks on it already.
Post Fri May 03, 2013 2:19 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

i must say now, 12 percenters does actually fit very well as the last track

i really like this album
Post Thu May 09, 2013 11:22 am
smake

I really like 12 percenters, but love Stale Bread part 1 and 2 and they are perfect as opener and closer. Wonder what would have happened it they were glued together. Really love that minimalistic, haunting style.
Post Fri May 10, 2013 1:19 am
SFR announcement

“9 out of 10” rating in Scratched Vinyl

http://scratchedvinyl.com/?q=node%2F1144
Written by Chi Chi on May 07, 2013

Prolyphic has been part of the Strange Famous family for quite a while. The Providence emcee made his debut for the label in 2005, and followed that up with another album in 2008, both with production partner Reanimator. Since that time, though, we haven't heard much from him. Well, now he’s back, and this time he’s paired up with London producer Buddy Peace. If you wonder what’s happened over the last five years, all you have to do is listen to Working Man, and the answer is abundantly clear - life happened.

There’s a lot of painful honesty to Working Man, but Prolyphic frames things in a way that will hopefully start some productive conversations. If I was going to point to one thing that makes this album special, it’s the way that Prolyphic is able to move between telling extremely personal and emotional stories and the way he's then able to step back and discuss analytically the big picture problem. Nothing illustrates this better than “Drug Dealer,” he indictment of the pharmaceutical industry. He’s able to weave back and forth from relating the facts of the industry to relating the extremely personal experience of how his mom was treated after she was diagnosed with cancer, and her ultimate decision not to continue with the prescription treatment. The result is one of the most powerful songs released this year.

“Six Feet High” is similarly effective, as Prolyphic relates how his father’s business was destroyed by a flood and lack of proper insurance. It’s extremely effective, as Prolyphic explains how a small business that’s been in the community for over fifty years can go under in the blink of an eye, and poignantly mentions how the government comes to the rescue of big business and residential areas, but not small businesses that have been cornerstones of the community. Lest you think this album is one big bummer, I should also point out that Prolyphic has a wonderfully dark and sarcastic sense of humor, and the amazingly diverse and sharp production of Buddy Peace helps guide the listener from dark and introspective moments to funky barn burners.

One of my personal favorite tracks is “Bad Influence,” a song in which Prolyphic dives head first into making sense of how a white kid can grow up relating to black music. As a white kid who grew up in the suburbs who spent most of my time in high school delving further and further into the blues, and whose parents spent a lot of time playing Motown, Stax, and Bay Area funk for me, it’s something I can definitely relate to. And if you're looking for a great posse track, look no further than "Death of the Boombox," which features Sage Francis and Metermaids.

Working Man is a dense album that requires several listens before you can even get a sense of everything that’s happening. Prolyphic had a lot of real life issues pop up since the last time he recorded an album, and it’s had a profound effect on him. Fortunately, he’s talented enough to take these experiences and make some music that will hopefully inspire people to think at length about some really important issues. Buddy Peace provides the perfect compliment to Prolyphic as producer, understanding exactly when to lay back and when to push the record forward. This is definitely one of the special albums of 2013.

Title: Prolyphic & Buddy Peace - Working Man
Label: Strange Famous Records
Year: 2013
Rating: 9/10

www.tinyurl.com/WorkingManLP
Post Sat May 11, 2013 3:05 pm
SFR announcement

Another great review from Stepdad Mag!

“When so many underground rappers are staking their careers on creating music to appeal to indie-rock sensibilities, Prolyphic proves that remaining true to the sound he was raised on can still be innovative.”

http://stepdadmag.com/workingman.html

Written by Bruce King

Sage Francis’ Rhode Island based Strange Famous Records has been putting out some of the best underground hip-hop records while no one’s been looking. This writer is comfortable calling them Rhymesayers of the Northeast. And similar to how Rhymesayers has at their core the three Minneapolis heavyweights Atmosphere, Brother Ali, and POS as their blue chips center pieces, Strange Fame has Providence hard hitters B Dolan, Sage, and Prolyphic. The problem is many people have failed to discover the third of the trifecta. That needs to change and Prolyphic’s new record “Working Man” may be just the record to do it.

Prolyphic’s 2008 collaboration LP with Reanimator “The Ugly Truth” was a beautiful album filled with vulnerable word play and progressive beats. One of the lead singles from that record “Two Track Mind” could easily function as an introspective, moody love letter to one’s intimate. On “Working Man” where the beats are provided by SFR’s Buddy Peace, that progression is replaced with a return to the sort of boom-bap that used to grace EPMD and Bomb Squad productions. Fans of 90s hip-hop will be pleased.

Lyrically the delivery is both aggressive and thoughtful, but far more sure of itself than it was in Prolyphic’s previous releases. Social issues are heavily addressed from a critical perspective. In the song “Drug Dealer” the wordsmith directs his frustrations at pharmaceutical industry. “Go Green” is a track that explores the inner conflict of wanting to live a conscious life in a consumerist society, especially when activism is often little more than a marketing ploy. Finally on “Six Feet High” he describes what his family went through when his father’s machine shop business was destroyed by flood waters. Issues with FEMA, communal ties strained by profit motives, and the superficiality of empty gestures all find a way into this very personal tale.

The record isn’t all weight and politics though. My favorite track on the record is “Death of the Boombox”, a declaration of rebirth in an era where discussion of “the death of hip-hop” is the trendy catch phrase of critics and artists alike. This album is laid on the bedrock of rap’s golden era. However, it builds on what made that time so great. When so many underground rappers are staking their careers on creating music to appeal to indie-rock sensibilities, Prolyphic proves that remaining true to the sound he was raised on can still be innovative, and it may just be enough to gain the attention of fan base that he deserves.
Post Sat May 11, 2013 7:38 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

and these drums, oh my these drums, i dunno if i ever noticed buddys drums like this before
Post Wed May 15, 2013 10:45 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

sup

yall listening to this shit or what

speak up
Post Thu May 30, 2013 11:04 pm
Limbs

Bizz As Ussh and Hand Grenade are my faves so far.
Post Fri May 31, 2013 2:00 am
Limbs

And Six Feet High. I really like Six Feet High. Fuck those other two I just said. Six Feet High.
Post Fri May 31, 2013 4:16 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Six Feet High is my personal favorite. That song has made me tear up on a couple occasions.
Post Fri May 31, 2013 8:23 pm
Limbs

The beat is perfect for it. Perfect.
Post Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:17 am
PH34R

I found this as a related video from the drug dealers.
al'tarba vs Lord Lhus - "Welcome to Hell"
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PzE3Jg8pk0

The flow and the beat bump'n like the sound of Immortal Technique
Post Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:03 pm
Mr 9999
Judge and Jury

PH34R wrote:
I found this as a related video from the drug dealers.
al'tarba vs Lord Lhus - "Welcome to Hell"
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PzE3Jg8pk0

The flow and the beat bump'n like the sound of Immortal Technique

Yeah, it's corny.
Post Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:10 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4