Search
Register
Hitchhikering Across America
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Hellen Earth
could be a girl. could be a guy.

Hitchhikering Across America  Reply with quote  

I've never done this before. I'm a 33 year old dude at a cross roads, and feel like I need something wild to inspire and reset my outlook on things.

Has anyone hitched at all and can offer advice on any aspect of it really?

I'm just in the process of telling family and friends that I'm doing this. I plan on 2.5 months and I'm leaving from Fitchburg, MA heading westward.

Anyone in the middle of the country who'd like to volunteer as a recharging pitstop, I'd be much obliged.
Post Thu May 16, 2013 12:41 pm
mzehe916

I used to hitchhike between Fresno, Ca and Morro Bay quite often. Since it was only a 2.5-3 hour drive I was never too worried, but I did do a lot of standing around. You will get picked up by a lot of creeps. And know that where you want to go isn't always where you will go. Not exactly, at least. Also, maintain good hitchhiker etiquette: don't smoke, don't bum smokes, don't bum food, don't stink, or fuck with the radio. I used to pick up my fair share of hitchhikers back in the day and dropped one off early because he asked me to pull off to get some food...and then asked if I would buy it for him. Keep your valuables with you.

And after a long time of thinking about it, ask yourself why you want to do it. I only did it because I went to college in that town and I didn't have a car, and trains don't go there. Randomly hitchhiking across the country sounds sketch to me...but then again I'm getting on in my years.
Post Thu May 16, 2013 12:58 pm
Captiv8

Going Peter Jenkins, eh? Good luck. I'd recommend the backroads, looking fairly clean cut, and just being all around nice to everyone you meet. Truckers will take you long distances, and most are cool. Better to catch them at truckstops, talk a little bit to feel them out, and then see where they're willing to take you. A lot of the overnight drivers just want some company to help them stay awake.

Do you plan on working oddjobs for cash? Is your food plan hobo stylee? Bring a nice pot and pan with you, and some essential kitchen tools. A strong and sturdy paring knife is essential, and also doubles as a self-defense weapon. Most folks are happy to give, like Fogerty said.
Post Thu May 16, 2013 1:14 pm
FranktheP

May want to think twice:

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/Kai_the_Hitchhiker_an_internet_sensation_wanted_for_murder_in_NJ.html

A self-described "homefree" hitchhiker, who became a viral sensation on the Internet in February, is wanted for murder in New Jersey.

YouTube viewers know him as "Kai, the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker." He became an instant star after he said he saved the life of a woman from a homicidal man who believed he was Jesus. His interview with a Fresno television reporter turned him into a celebrity.

Today, officials in Union County said Kai, whose real name Caleb Lawrence McGillvary, is wanted in the bludgeoning death of a North Jersey attorney. Kai, 24, is also known as Kai Lawrence, Caleb Kai Lawrence and Kai Nicodemus. He is considered armed and dangerous.

Kai allegedly met the attorney in New York City near Times Square. A surveillance camera captured images of their encounter. The men later went back to the older man's house, officials said.

In a post made Tuesday to his Facebook page, Kai claims he was raped.

what would you do if you woke up with a groggy head, metallic taste in your mouth, in a strangers house... walked to the mirror and seen ... dripping from the side of your face from your mouth, and started wretching, realizing that someone had drugged, raped...? what would you do?

According to Union County officials, he was last seen at a PATCO stop in Haddonfield.

At a press conference on Wednesday, officials said Kai had reached out to some fans in South Jersey. Those fans dropped him off on Tuesday at the train station. He told them he was first heading to Philadelphia and then going to see a girlfriend in Georgia.

PATCO officials said they had no knowledge of the suspect at one of their stations.

In an effort to avoid detection, officials said, Kai has cut his hair. He also sports a recently acquired facial tattoo.

Attorney Joseph Galfy was found unresponsive Monday in his Clark, NJ, home. An autopsy revealed he died of blunt force trauma, according to the Union County Prosecutor’s office.

In early February, Kai told KMPH-TV in Fresno, that he was a passenger riding in an Oldsmobile when the driver snapped and drove into an electric company worker “because he was black.”

According to Kai, the man said “I come to realize I’m Jesus Christ and I can do anything if I want.”

When bystanders rushed to the worker's aid, the man, who Kai described as a "fat, rich white guy" to Jimmy Kimmel, began to crush one of them. Kai said he feared he would snap the woman’s neck.

“So I ran up behind him with a hatchet and Smash! Smash! SUH-MASH!,” he told KMPH.

“That woman was in danger. He had just finished what looked like at the time, killing somebody and if I hadn’t done that he would have killed more people.”

Anyone with information is asked to call (908) 654-TIPS (8477), visit www.uctip.org, or text UCTIP plus a message 274637.
Post Thu May 16, 2013 2:56 pm
Hellen Earth

Good advice Captiv8, thanks.

My reason for this has been long building and is part of what I consider my personal spiritual pursuit. i want tto talk to people take a break from technology,and just mix things up and do something extreme that's designed to challenge me. Hard to talk about this without sounding douchey.

I've never seen west of Niagara, I got divorced two years ago, I have my daughter two days a week typically, and I've managed to get back on my feet pretty well. I'm about to take over the business I've been working for, and figure I need to do this now while I still look relatively not old and creepy.

I'm trying to figure out a way that I could signal to drivers I'm doing this for perceived altruistic reasons. Maybe even if it's just a subconscious cue to an archetype that increases my chances of appealing to generous contingents.
Post Thu May 16, 2013 4:59 pm
wesfau

Hellen Earth wrote:
I have my daughter two days a week typically,

A lot can go wrong with your walkabout. Your daughter needs you more than you need your vision quest, I'd reckon.
Post Thu May 16, 2013 5:30 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Don't try kicking a soccer ball across America, either.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/05/16/seattle-man-killed-attempting-to-dribble-soccer-ball-to-brazil/
Post Thu May 16, 2013 5:34 pm
Plum Puddin'

Do it.

America needs you.
Post Thu May 16, 2013 7:30 pm
Hellen Earth

wesfau wrote:
Hellen Earth wrote:
I have my daughter two days a week typically,

A lot can go wrong with your walkabout. Your daughter needs you more than you need your vision quest, I'd reckon.

Part of the reason I'm doing this is for her. I do like the term walkabout.

This isn't really something I'm looking at as a enjoyment, it's something I have to do. It's gonna be tough and much of it doing things that are against my nature. I've never traveled or done anything like this.

Missing my kid is going to be tough, but I'm honestly not worried about not coming back or whatever you are alluding to. I'd say she will be better off with a father who took a couple months and went on an adventure. I'm going to try and document it so it will be something she can check when she is older.

Also, I'm fairly well equipped to handle myself around dangerous people and nature and will be taking precautionary nature.
Post Thu May 16, 2013 8:59 pm
poopsnack

if you don't already have some - get some life insurance.

Really doe.
Post Thu May 16, 2013 9:42 pm
Hellen Earth

Really doe? Truly the last thing i'm worried about is dying. Violent crimes have gone down over the last thirty years. Of course there is danger, but through the jobs I've held over the years I think I've become pretty saavy with interpersonal relations and would never get into a space with someone who gave me the willies.

I'm looking for practical advice here.
Post Thu May 16, 2013 9:51 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Hike a long distance trail.
Post Thu May 16, 2013 10:24 pm
corporateslave

Well, I happen to be moving from Beverly, MA to Chicago this Sunday. I could certainly give you a ride that far if you're interested, I've got no other passengers coming with me, and you're somewhat on the way. Email me at matt82kuhlman at gmail dot com.
Post Thu May 16, 2013 11:02 pm
Plum Puddin'

Buy a cane sword.

Rename yourself Azkor.

Visit small towns solving problems.

Become All American Hero.
Post Thu May 16, 2013 11:08 pm
FranktheP

Hellen Earth wrote:

Suggesting life insurance seems pretty practical to me since what you want to do is fully impractical. Good luck. Hope you return safe and find what you are looking for out there.
Post Fri May 17, 2013 7:43 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next