Search
Register
Ever play sports again after a major injury?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

FranktheP

Ever play sports again after a major injury?  Reply with quote  

My 17 year old daughter is a sophomore in high school and completely tore her ACL, tore her miniscus and chipped some pieces off her knee cap playing indoor field hockey back in early December. Her surgery is set for January 25th with the hope that she will be able to play again in August when training camp opens (she will miss the spring lacrosse season).

Her mother (my ex-wife but we have a very cordial relationship expecially wehn it comes to our daughters) and I differ completely about her playing again. She is 100% against it and I am for it as long as she wants to play. I am afraid if she quits because she is afraid to get hurt again it may start a trend of quitting things when the going gets tough (so to speak).

Anyone here have a major injury and go back and play? Any more injuries cause of it? Did you quit instead out of fear of getting hurt again?
Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:35 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

I tore a knee ligament playing soccer. I didn't get surgery and it had to heal on its own. I took it easy for a long time and rehabilitated it. It's never been the same but I would guess that it got to be around 90% and is as good as it's gonna be.

Anyway, I'd advise you and your ex-wife to read this book: http://www.amazon.com/Warrior-Girls-Protecting-Daughters-Epidemic/dp/0743297555
Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:43 am
FranktheP

Thanks, Ic. I just ordered it.
Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:04 am
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

I broke my henway playing football.

Had pins and screw in it for months.

But I feel fine now. I cycled 3900 miles last year.
Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:48 pm
the mean
Certified O.G.

At 17 it's really her call isn't it?

My brother still gets paid to play soccer after multiple knee surgeries.
Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:06 pm
FranktheP

Its very much her decision. She is telling me she cant wait to play...shes telling her mom she might not want to...I'm not that dad who is reliving his lost youth through her. I want her to play only if she wants...I just am afraid if she quits out of fear it may start a trend. I could be totally wrong.
Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:56 pm
FranktheP

dp

Last edited by FranktheP on Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:00 pm
FuseONE

i took a helmet to the face in my second game as starting quarterback. i didn't miss a play, but did ride to the ER in an ambulance afterward with my parents cause i had to get a bunch of stitches. my mother was...less than enthusiastic about football after that so i wouldn't be too upset with your ex. but people come back after torn ACL's and i think your daughter is old enough at this point to make the decision for herself. i mean i don't have kids, but 17 is quite different from say...9.
Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:43 pm
anomaly
Loserface

I twisted my ankle and fucked up my knee getting off a treadmill once. I went home and got fat and had fluid on my knee, but i went back to run again.

I think it should be her choice, but I admire those that go back for 2nds after getting hurt
Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:51 pm
mzehe916

Whether or not she goes back to play sports make sure you emphasize the importance of physical therapy afterwards. I shattered my knee cap when I was 18, then ditched out on p.t. because I was young, dumb and decided I wasn't going to play college sports anymore. Bad decision. But I went back to therapy later and today my "bad" knee is my best knee. I still snowboard, play basketball, and soccer on it. That was 18 years ago.
Post Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:05 am
Captiv8

I hate to be on some LeVar Burton shit, but just help your daughter understand that sometimes being tough is knowing when to walk away and when to keep going. Let her know that countless athletes get injured all of the time, recover, and go on to continue great careers. The can even excel like crazy, as with Adrian Peterson this year. As long as she has all of the information, the pros and cons, and you and mom aren't pushing anything on her, I'd say your job is done as parents in this matter. She'll make the decision she thinks is best for her. And I don't think walking away from sports necessarily indicates that she'll be prone to quit when the going gets tough. It will just mark a shift in priorities.
Post Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:21 am
FranktheP

Thanks. I plan on her keeping the pt up until they release her or her insurance runs out. And this decision will be hers to be made totally...I am just looking for experiences to show her that it can be done. I have pointed out AP to her many times. I am also starting to think that I am little quick to think this may start a slippery slope to quitting anything else.
Post Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:46 am
coolerthanhot

best thing you can do is make it as non-traumatic a decision as possible, and be honest with her about your feelings and thoughts

but that's pretty common sense-y
Post Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:24 am
medicineman
HALFLING

Knee injuries are a real drag. I partially tore a ligiment and miniscus and got a spiraling fracture in my fibula about five years ago. It was a sports injury of sorts...I slipped on a beer-soaked second base in a casual game of kickball. I ignored the injury for a LOT longer than I should have and didn't know the full extent until much later. I walk completely differently than previous. My footballin' days were already done by that point but I know I'd be hesitant to play any contact sport again. Make sure your daughter keeps up on the physical therapy. That stuff is very important. I know that sports are a big part of life for some but that injury will be with her to some extent for the rest of her life, so yeah...basically what Captiv8 said.
Post Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:43 pm
RealJustice

My cousin was a great tennis player and fucked up her ankle on a trampoline when she was sixteen or seventeen - surgeries, pins, physical therapy, all that. She didn't ever return to her pre-injury level of play, but she kept at it. More importantly, she loved her doctors and physical therapists and ended up getting a degree and working in sports medicine. She wasn't able to compete at the level she wanted to, but her experience created new ideas about what she envisioned herself doing as an adult. Even though she missed being able to move like she used to, she found a calling that filled some of the void left by not being able to compete at a high level.
Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:57 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next