Search
Register
Indie music sales Vs. merch sales in the US (2012)
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

SFR announcement

Indie music sales Vs. merch sales in the US (2012)  Reply with quote  

Pretty interesting to see how the music market is trending now with the playing field becoming almost level with *everyone* having access to digital stores.

"According the A2iM, The American Association For Independent Music, Billboard and SoundScan stats show that independent labels grabbed 32.6% of U.S. album sales in 2012. As in 2011, indie labels outpaced each of the major label groups grabbing the #1 sales spot followed by Universal, Sony, Warner Music and EMI respectively."

If you like charts:
http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2013/01/indie-music-grabs-326-of-us-album-sales-in-2012.html

Last edited by SFR announcement on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:20 pm
SFR announcement

Now here's the bit about merch sales:

And here's a study suggesting that merch sales account for about 2% of an indie musician's income.

https://futureofmusic.org/blog/2013/01/9/mythbusting-part-4

Which pretty much debunks the myth that “musicians make all their money selling t-shirts.”

I was surprised to see such a small percentage to be honest. But when you consider the amount of indie musicians in the country and how many invest in shirts but probably give many away for free or don't sell shit due to lack of shows (or maybe bad designs) I guess that kind of makes sense.
Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:26 pm
anomaly
Loserface

How does a musician get a grant? Honest curiosity....

Also, this makes me think.....we need another Life Is Easy'ish dvd of SFR as a whole. Lots has evolved in 10 years. I'd love to see some new behind the scenes antics. I love that dvd.
Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:07 am
Bicycle

yeah this grant business sounds just... wonderful
Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:58 am
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

edit:

since it was done by " The American Association For Independent Music" maybe im wrong

Last edited by mortalthoughts on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:00 am
Bicycle

"are survey population includes composers and songwriters, salaried orchestra players, session musicians and teachers"

there it is
Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:06 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

mortalthoughts wrote:
since it was done by " The American Association For Independent Music" maybe im wrong

Correct. I should have included that in the original subject line. Just fixed that.
Also, thanks to Anomaly for helping me shrink the graph image. Me still dumb.
Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:09 am
bigsole
Bought his character on ebay

shits fucked up and bullshit.
Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:43 am
Mikal kHill

I've always been surprised I didn't do more in shirts than CDs on the road, but it's never been the case. I always do like 15% of my merch sales at any given show as shirts, the rest is always cd copies of stuff. I guess that's more the norm than I realized.
Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:22 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

On the flip side, once you hit a certain popularity level, it's tough to print enough shirts to keep up with the demand. When I did those shows with Rise Against, I literally watched people stand in line and wait to buy their shirt from the start of the show until the end. Some people even missed significant parts of Rise Against's live performance just so they could purchase their t-shirt. Insanity.
Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:22 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2013/01/12/169133556/there-are-only-100-copies-of-the-new-bob-dylan-record?utm_source=NPR&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=20130112

This just in... Record companies are shady...

Does this mean there might be a re-release of Hope in forty one years?
Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:06 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

That's a whole other issue right there. That's the label's attempt at stopping these recordings from entering public domain. Never knew about that law in Europe. I feel like more countries will try to do the same in the near future.

"Does this mean there might be a re-release of Hope in forty one years?"

Hell, it was hardly released in the first place. haha. Don't get me started on that. I'll go on a tangent that should be saved for a book. Releasing that through a foreign label was a horrible decision. Wholly frustrating on almost every conceivable level, especially since I'm still trying to make sense of that mess. Alas, it inspired me to move forward in other ways which was crucial to what we do now. Had to learn the hard way, but it was an important step.
Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:07 pm

Jump to: