Search
Register
I hold my babies close tonight...
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

MYOWNCLICHE

I hold my babies close tonight...  Reply with quote  

....because for the first time I realize that I can not protect them from insanity.
Post Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:16 pm
DeadAwake

That is one factor which makes me not want to have kids.

Its everyones duty to bear this burden and not lose themselves in the struggle against themself. A lot of people seem to just run and hide from it. I guess the best you can do is just prepare them for it.
Post Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:51 am
GrantherBirdly
D&D addict

deleted myself...
Post Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:10 am
Szechwan

Sobering thought isn't it. You'd go crazy if you constantly worried about these types of completely random events happening around you, but life never seems to let you forget they exist for long.
Post Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:40 pm
Jack

Quote:

Stuff like this shouldn't be a thought when thinking about having kids, much less a factor. You just gotta enjoy life my man, and when tragedies like this occur you just have to face it. It really is sickening though
Post Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:58 pm
DeadAwake

Jack wrote:

Quote:

Stuff like this shouldn't be a thought when thinking about having kids, much less a factor. You just gotta enjoy life my man, and when tragedies like this occur you just have to face it. It really is sickening though

Funnily enough, i didnt hear about the shooting until after i posted this and went into the random video thread.

I thought MyOwn was referring to his own insanity, having had a really rough period influenced by his psyche and that he was scared his kids would begin to behave like that, or were displaying certain traits in himself which cause him a great deal of struggle.

I can be presumptuous.
Post Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:31 am
Captiv8

DeadAwake wrote:
Jack wrote:

Quote:

Funnily enough, i didnt hear about the shooting until after i posted this and went into the random video thread.

I thought MyOwn was referring to his own insanity, having had a really rough period influenced by his psyche and that he was scared his kids would begin to behave like that, or were displaying certain traits in himself which cause him a great deal of struggle.

I can be presumptuous.

To be fair, this thread wasn't exactly clearly explained. I assumed it was about the shootings in Connecticut, but I wasn't sure. Which leads me to a question: why post a thread without context and just some ambiguous statement? Center the topic.

And incidentally, this was the first bit of US news I received after flying home for the holidays. God bless the USA. I couldn't help but think that something like this would never have happened in the UK, simply because it is incredibly difficult, barring the odd gangster type, to get a gun. Not even the cops have guns, though, on a side-note, I noticed that a lot of them now have tiny video cameras mounted to their helmets. Anyway, gun control is a sticky subject. I don't know how to resolve it.
Post Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:34 am
CriticalTheory_Breakfast

I can't convince myself these events are gun-control issues. I'm not sure if it's been revealed whether or not the guns were legal, but usually gun violence in this country deals with illegally purchased firearms, which would continue to be illegal even with stricter gun laws.

Nearly every American mass shooter of the last 15 years has had significant warning signs and known mental health issues. I think the solution lies somewhere in that mess, not necessarily gun control.

With that said, this shit is awful.
Post Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:15 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

both matter, you never see these sick people use anything else to go on rampage with, its always guns

the mental illness factor IS important too and does need more attention than what its getting

its just a realllllly bad combo and hard to predict these outcomes
Post Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:08 pm
Hinhale

Can't really say I know much about the subject since we have no Gun issues in Sweden, but I would imagine that most illegal guns start out as legal and are then stolen or something?
Post Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:00 pm
Jesse Custer

Neuro wrote:
both matter,

its just a realllllly bad combo

Yeah.. this, completely. I don't understand this false dichotomy that's been created in the discussion that is pitting these two factors against each other to decide which bears the lion's share of the blame.

(and I mean everywhere, not just on this forum, obviously)
Post Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:07 pm
CriticalTheory_Breakfast

But for the sake of combatting the gun-control conversation that has dominated discussions about these events, I think it's fair to address it in terms of "let's talk about mental health INSTEAD of guns".

Of course guns AND mental illness are likely culprits here. But you immediately lose half of your audience when you start talking about guns. I don't hear any coherent conversation (in the media, in public, in my own life) that represents both staunch gun-control advocates AND 2nd amendment champions. It's always either a useless shouting match or it is preaching to the choir.

A lot of pro-gun people say "guns don't kill people, crazy people with guns kill people". So first we should establish what "crazy" is, and then find out how "crazy" got to a place where they didn't receive appropriate help, and then finally how "crazy" got a gun. Maybe then we can have a conversation with pro-gun people that is more targeted and informed than blanket statements about gun control that seem to threaten them so much.

It just seems like a lot of wasted energy is spent on a very vague idea of a solution that is so easily shot down by gun advocates.
Post Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:02 pm
Brynjar

Maybe I'm just so simple minded but to me all the talk about "guns don't kill people, crazy people with guns kill people" and 2nd amendment is laughable. People being crazy is not the issue, not by a longshot, ofcourse people that shoot and kill dozens of people are crazy. That a "normal"person can buy anything more then a handgun and a hunting rifle is the craziest shit of it of all.
Post Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:30 pm
Jack

i would prefer no one has guns, but if anything there needs to be stricter laws. No one fucking needs semiautomatic and automatic rifles.
Post Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:59 pm
X the Outsider

That was hard news to read throughout the day. My son was in daycare at the time, and all I wanted to do was leave work and take him home. We sat back and watched Rudolph and I couldn't enjoy it all.
Post Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:05 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next