Search
Register
Chicago
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Anti.Agent036

Chicago  Reply with quote  

Just moved here. Anything in particular I should see, visit, etc? So far, I've just been checking out restaraunts (which is my city-guage). Went to the Shedd aquarium, but not much else. I'm sure there's lots to do, but the people I'm surrounded by confine themselves to the suburbs and I think I've put them on to more then they've put me on to.
Post Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:54 am
GrantherBirdly
D&D addict

Millennium Park is worthy of a stroll, particular to gaze upon the bean / cloudgate and to see the Gehry designed outdoor stage.

Check out Weiner Circle latenight if you want to see some weird shit.

Though touristry and pricey, I think it's worth having a drink at the top of the Sears Tower.

There are also really good architectural tours, both walking and by boat, which I would recommend. Chicago has a fascinating architectural history, so much so that Saul Bellow declared it to be the most American of cities.

Of course the Art Institute is a must-see.

If you find yourself in Hyde Park I think the Uchicago campus is worth checking out, and you can look at Obama's house, but more importantly eat brunch here afterwards:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/valois-chicago

I'll update further as I remember things.
Post Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:59 am
anomaly
Loserface

great band!

Post Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:05 pm
Captiv8

Boys Town. Seriously. Great food, great clothes.

I thought everything around Wicker Park was pretty nice. Vintage shops galore, though most of it is atrociously overpriced. There is a really nice bookstore there though whose name escapes me.

Don't be a Cubs or a White Sox fan.

Goose Island Brewery has some seriously good stuff.

Native Foods, if you like vegan and veggie stuff. There are at least three in the city.
Post Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:38 pm
GrantherBirdly
D&D addict

how could I forget, go here and order the "Strange Famous" burger:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-bad-apple-chicago
Post Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:45 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

One of my top 3 favorite cities. Love Chicagooooooo.
Spent a full month there while recording the Li(f)e album and my favorite veggie place to eat was Earwax in Bucktown. Not many options really, but it was they had a great veggie ruben. If you get a chance, it's necessary to swing through to Hot Doug's as well. So much to do in Chicago, but the eats...the EATS...haha. It's a fat man haven.
Post Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:21 pm
zagadka
DARK PAST HAVER

So many good eats.

Santullo's for late pizza and metal at least once for the experience (pizza was OK, really salty)

De Cero is pretty good for some "upscale" tacos. Jicama margaritas are great if they have them on the menu.

Alliance is great for macarons and fancy desserts (I have spent an embarrassing amount of money here...)

Hot Chocolate has great food and dessert.

MCA is a great museum, they have lots of fun stuff in their gift shop.

I have always loved the Field Museum and the view of the city from it. It feels so, isolated even though its really not.

Go to a Cub's game at least once. I could care less about sports and I have a hard time mentally coping with a lot of the gross bros that are in the area, but the grounds are pretty freaking sweet. It feels, for lack of better word, supernatural.

Walk through Graceland cemetery (near wrigley) on a summer for fall night, the place has a super creepy/ beautiful vibe to it and its huge.

Andersonville is a great neighborhood to walk around in. Lots of great shop and places to eat.

Definitely go to the beach during the winter for a total Eternal Sunshine moment. I dunno, that's what I think of when I'm at the beach in winter...
Post Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:59 pm
the mean
Certified O.G.

A classic:

http://www.veggiediner.com/
Post Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:46 pm
Anti.Agent036

These are great recommendations. Thanks all.

I did like Wicker Park (bucktown area, I believe it's called). I had some Lou Malnatti's pizza which was WAYYYY better than Giordanos and Gino's East. I noticed that the thin crust pizza I've had thus far is HORRIBLE...worse than Arizona, in fact.

I stayed at the Drake for a weekend, which was a really cool experience. Obviously, somewhat pricey, so won't be doing that too often.

I went to Wrigleyville one night, which SUCKED. Drunk college kids errwherr.

Oh, and I found a chinese place that is amazing, and very similar to NY Chinese food.

Any other recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Post Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:27 pm
anomaly
Loserface

no one orders the "Chicago shallow dish pizza" for a reason. Get those deep dish carbs in ya!
Post Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:32 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I know that Veggie Diner is the quintessential spot for vegetarians (especially vegans,) but I must say.......I wasn't in love with it. I was underwhelmed but maybe that's because I was expecting the exact opposite.
Post Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:20 am
xGasPricesx

I went to Chicago once when I was little, but I don't remember much about it except that I really liked it. The only thing I have to offer is this.

And this.

Post Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:18 am
pedavis

http://www.neofuturists.org/ - Too Much light makes the baby go blind. If you like improv, or just something different to do, i highly suggest this. And it's sort've improv with a twist, albeit i haven't been to too many improv type shows, the whole thing is/was pretty fun imo. haven't been in a while.

deep dish pizza is where it's at. Art of Pizza is what a lot of my friends swear by.

a friend of mine co-owns a bike shop called Comrade Cycles on chicago ave. Super friendly guy, extremely helpful. so yeah if you're into bikes/in the area check him out.

if you're into burgers/whiskey there's Three Aces on taylor street. not on the cheap side and kind've a once a month thing, but their burger is amazing, and can include a side of house made potato chips fried in duck fat. super awesome beer selection too. they also have a whiskey bar that i haven't tried. really nice atmosphere, huge dark wood bar. and i hear it's very comparable to Kuma's Korner which has a 1-2hr wait time anytime i've been there except without the wait.

chinatown rocks, all i got to say about that. same with reckless records (for vinyl/music/etc) and they've got a couple locations. pretty good at holding onto rare finds (searchable through their website) for pickup too.

i'll come back to this. being from the suburbs i experience a pretty huge boner for chicago and all things about it. burbs are lame (sometimes).
Post Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:22 pm
McLirious

Chicago Cultural Center, just across the sreet from the bean.
http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/dca/supp_info/chicago_culturalcenter.html
Free. Amazing building inside & out (was originally central library). Great exhibits.
Post Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:15 am
Anti.Agent036

McLirious wrote:
Chicago Cultural Center, just across the sreet from the bean.
http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/dca/supp_info/chicago_culturalcenter.html
Free. Amazing building inside & out (was originally central library). Great exhibits.

Thanks for this. Checked it out on Sunday. Beautiful place. Got to hear some sweet violin by an Indian child-prodigy, too.
Post Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:15 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next