Search
Register
Hey Forks: Roku Box
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

the mean
Certified O.G.

Hey Forks: Roku Box  Reply with quote  

Anyone have one of these things? Thoughts?

How are they with sports packages?
Post Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:00 pm
AdamBomb

I have the NeoTV box. Love it.
Post Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:22 pm
karl

I thought the video quality from mlb.tv was pretty bad. Noticeably worse than on the computer.

The new search thing is pretty nice--searches Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, etc. all at once.
Post Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:14 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

A local sports talk radio host swears by the Slingbox. I was about to recommend that until I looked at the 1-star reviews on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Sling-Media-Slingbox-SOLO-SB260-100/product-reviews/B000VXKD8K/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0
Post Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:15 pm
the mean
Certified O.G.

Mrs. Mean is convinced that we should ditch DirecTV and get this thing, and therefore save a ton of cash, but I'm not really thinking it is the best idea.

I'm in the Reds local market, so I don't pay anything to watch baseball. The Roku MLB package is $100+ and I've heard there are buffering issues. Plus, because I am in the local market it looks like I can't watch on the Roku until the game is over. Plus maximum resolution is 720.

For football, I would have to buy the Sunday Ticket package for the computer, and then run my computer through the TV. I pay $200 now for the package. It looks like $350 for the full package with computer access. I can't imagine the quality is any good.

For basketball, I could get a cheaper package because the offer a "5 team" option, and I really just watch the Kings. However, the NBA package doesn't have seem to have an option to turn of the scores on the menu, so if I don't watch the game live, there is no way to get to it without seeing the score.

I could see having this IN ADDITION TO DirecTV, but it doesn't seem to make sense to replace DirecTV. Maybe in a couple years.
Post Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:13 am
anomaly
Loserface

I have an AppleTV that I "hacked" to get some extra features out of it. Maybe technology has changed since I got my AppleTV, but I can't get w/ the pixelation of the live feeds. Something about it I don't like
Post Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:00 pm
Eric B

the mean wrote:
Mrs. Mean is convinced that we should ditch DirecTV and get this thing, and therefore save a ton of cash, but I'm not really thinking it is the best idea.

I'm in the Reds local market, so I don't pay anything to watch baseball. The Roku MLB package is $100+ and I've heard there are buffering issues. Plus, because I am in the local market it looks like I can't watch on the Roku until the game is over. Plus maximum resolution is 720.

For football, I would have to buy the Sunday Ticket package for the computer, and then run my computer through the TV. I pay $200 now for the package. It looks like $350 for the full package with computer access. I can't imagine the quality is any good.

For basketball, I could get a cheaper package because the offer a "5 team" option, and I really just watch the Kings. However, the NBA package doesn't have seem to have an option to turn of the scores on the menu, so if I don't watch the game live, there is no way to get to it without seeing the score.

I could see having this IN ADDITION TO DirecTV, but it doesn't seem to make sense to replace DirecTV. Maybe in a couple years.

I don't have any complaints about the video quality on mine. But you are right, it's not going to live up to your expectations for sports. I don't know of anything for college football on the Roku. That's a deal breaker for me. Right now it is a great supplement, but not a replacement.
Post Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:46 pm
SergOne

I looked that the roku, bought one for my parents actually. For myself though I copped a dell zino 2 years ago and ran that direct to my tv. It was the best solution because I didn't have to connect my laptop and it got me around all the limitations of xbox/blueray/roku/boxee/ps3 and the like.

sports is the tuffest, i watch college FB and since I have comcast for internet still I have access to streaming on espn which is nice as I can watch more games than when I had cable. It got bad when my wife saw me doing 4 picture in pictures on the tv and then 4 on the laptop while also switching back to channels to watch games. If I can't find something on there then I go the illegal route. mostly for foxsports sw or cbssportsnetwork games.

As for quality it depends on the games, for me espn is pretty reliable, not much buffering but some games get the quality kicked down if the stream is slow. Usually picks back up after like 5 minutes though. Still got all my local shit via my antenna.

My friend's got the NFL Redzone and I'm kind jealous of that but I don't miss my cable bill. The computer has paid for itself and considering I only spend like 15 bucks a month on tv now fuck it, I'll take it.

Also the Over The Air channels are offered via the cable so if you cancel just plug the cable into the tv and scan. you'll get the OTA channels since it was part of the whole digital conversion thing they did.

for shows amazon tv pass is what I fuck with a lot for shit I want to watch. I had hulu plus but cancelled it, might start it up depending on how their rights to content shape up in the future.
Post Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:40 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mzehe916

wiziwig has helped me with live sports. You have options for selecting the kbps that fit your needs. RedZone all night long.
Post Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:57 am
the mean
Certified O.G.

Thanks all.

We may still pick one up, but the DirecTV stays for now.
Post Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:18 pm
xGasPricesx

So here's my question, I don't watch sports very often, and wouldn't really miss not having them at all, but I do watch a lot of television shows. I would want access to shows from NBC, ABC, Comedy Central, FX, AMC, HBO and Showtime and I would want access to them directly after they air. Is something like a Roku a viable option? I understand it might not be for HBO, but I can always get HBO Go from my mom's subscription to it through her cable provider, but what about the rest of those channels? Am I better off just sticking with a cable provider myself, or do these things give direct access to shows from various networks right after they air?
Post Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:53 pm
redball

So I've been meaning to respond to this for a while but I've been busy with vacation, school, and hurricanes...

I think that you're right to be skeptical that you'll be able to enjoy your sports stuff without a more traditional cable/satellite package. When I cut cable down to an OTA package (only channels I'd get for free if antenna reception wasn't terrible) I was able to watch most of the local sports. I took those that I couldn't watch as a chance to socialize and go to a bar or a friend's house. It worked okay, but it wasn't perfect and the only sport I was really concerned with at the time was football. Sports are one of the ways that traditional television is keeping customers from defecting. There's been some advancement, but in general the more popular the sport the harder it is to get a decent, legal stream of what you want to watch.

Other shows... You really only have two legal ways to get shows online. If they're on Hulu then they'll be there a day or a week after they air. Some other networks like Comedy Central and I think ABC run their own streaming sites but it's the same deal. If it's not there then your best chance is iTunes, where a lot of shows are available for purchase the day after they air. You can buy season passes and new episodes will become available as they may. It can get expensive but if you're only doing it for a couple shows then it's not bad compared to a cable bill, also you can watch the shows whenever as you "own" a copy. Of course the iTunes one requires either a computer hooked to a TV or an AppleTV. (I have an AppleTV)

Some shows just aren't available, though. If you can't live without a show and you can't wait for the dvd or [unmentionable stuff goes here] then you're going to keep cable. This is the perfect segue into my ultimate point here: If you're going to quit cable you should do it cold turkey.

I don't mean that you shouldn't reduce your package like I did. If your cable company has such a package then that's perfect, unless you can actually get the channels you want over the air. What I mean is that you should decide to cut your cable however is right and just do it. Don't try to ween in something like Netflix as an alternative. If you try to add these things to your entertainment but you don't get rid of the cable too then you will only end up spending more. It's likely that if you don't sink money into these things then you won't get enough content to transition to them, and if you do spend money but still watch TV then you'll watch both... and then you've just got another bill.

When we went back to cable because my wife did a study on news programming it was fatal to a largely successful attempt to lower the entertainment bill. Now she's watching shows I can't get legally, and my son watches Disney Jr. during his TV time and I can't get rid of it without a fight.
Post Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:15 pm

Jump to: