Search
Register
::METAL::
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Captiv8

If you want something more listenable and retro, I recommend thrashers Municipal Waste. You can actually understand the lyrics as well. Their whole style verges on punk, but it's thrashy enough to fit into the old school metal category. They also have Dave Witte behind the kit, and he was a legend for Burnt by the Sun and Agoraphobic Nosebleed. Frankly, his talents are wasted on Municipal Waste, as their drums, while good, aren't exactly demanding.

Speaking of Burnt by the Sun, you can't go wrong with any of their albums. I'm also a really big proponent of Pig Destroyer (who I think is now sadly defunct). The latter has really fast and short songs that don't fuck around with anything fancy. It's just step on throat, twist, and next. Really fantastic stuff. All of their albums are phenomenal, and they also revolve around some really creepy stalker/abductor stories written up by frontmen Scott Hull (also formerly of Agoraphobic Nosebleed and hey! everyone's favorite, Anal Cunt) and JR Hayes. They even have one "album" called simply Natasha that is one 37-minute track about the same.

Edit: I googled Pig Destroyer just to see if they were still around and HOLY FUCK they have a new album coming out October 23rd! I haven't been this excited for a new metal album ever! There's already reviews out on it hailing it as the best metal album of the year!
Post Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:54 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

cap whats your opinion on between the buried and me, their newest album the parallax 2 is getting great reviews supposedly
Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:19 pm
Captiv8

Between the Buried and Me have completely shit the fucking bed. Their self-titled debut, The Silent Circus, and Alaska were all really good, and they showed a nice amount of progression from album to album. This was all really great to see at the time, since metalcore was getting really stagnant. Then BTBAM went far left with Colors, and off the field with The Great Misdirect. Suddenly the metal became largely overshadowed by progressive/jam elements that made them more akin to a heavier version of Phish. It was a really bizarre transformation for me to behold. I don't like prog-rock, though I do respect the musical prowess of all members of BTBAM. And from what I've heard, Parallax is much of the same. I'm done with those clowns. It's no longer my cup of meat.
Post Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:26 am
Captiv8

Okay, I know I just recently derided doomy metal as a general rule. But as with most rules, there are exceptions. In this case the nautically obsessed German band Ahab. I just discovered they released another album in June, The Giant. It looks amazing, and the snippets I've heard sound really great. It's also refreshing to hear a "doom" band that doesn't fall into the hugely overplayed tropes of gothic depression and cadaver worship. Once I get my hands on this I'll give an update.
Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:46 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

yah dude if look a page or 2 or 3 behind i posted stuff about it, i think u even responded, anyways, its a very good album, and super dope album cover artwork
Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:12 am
Captiv8

Neuro wrote:
yah dude if look a page or 2 or 3 behind i posted stuff about it, i think u even responded, anyways, its a very good album, and super dope album cover artwork

Relax, guy. I mentioned Ahab initially, and you posted about their new album on page thirteen. Nobody is trying to steal your Kool-Aid. Somehow that information about Ahab went into my brain and then slipped away like so many one-night stands.
Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:45 pm
Dr Sagacious

Andrew! Death Grips has me in the mood for some crazy experimental Metal. Show me the way, sir.
Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:45 pm
Captiv8

Well duder, the first band the immediately popped to mind is Oxbow. Mainly because of this guy:

He clearly does not give a fuck. I also think he captures the intensity of Death Grips into a nice little meme. Oxbow aren't really metal though, but then you're stretching the boundaries of what metal is as soon as you start talking about the "experimental" or avant-garde. Anyway, they are a band that is all over the map. The vocalist, Eugene Robinson just sort of shrieks and howls and whimpers and moans and does all other sorts of really weird intonations that boggle the mind. I mean, this shit is practically unlistenable at times, but I respect Oxbow for simply doing their thing. Peep this track for a really good example.

I implore you, and anyone interested to listen to a handful of youtube tracks before you make your conclusions.

Let's see... who else? The second band the fits the metal bill a bit more is Ephel Duath. I think they're really competent musicians with really short attention spans. So you'll be taken on a journey with anything of theirs you listen to. It's like swimming in a giant vat of gumbo with a shark and a shitload of D batteries.

Another band that works in more conventional metal but still manages to have a really interesting sound is Psyopus, thanks in no small part to guitar virtuoso Christ Arp. I looked up a few of the videos to try and get a good representation, and you really can't go wrong with any of them. I'm only really familiar with their first album (I think they have three) so here's a track:

I won't embed this because I don't want to cloud the page up, but I suggest you check out Arp playing Imogen's Puzzle 2 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaxBR2QTApM

I also came across a video called "The 5 Gayest Breakdowns" but that's different kind of beast altogether, so let's leave it alone.

Last one I'll post a video for, and only then because it's a fucking challenge to get through the entire song without clicking on anything else. This is some sonic torture. Painfully slow doom with ear-piercing vocals. This isn't even doom. This is pure agony. But you never know. Somebody (apparently?) likes it. The band Sunn O))) sounds very similar.

I would also check out the following:

Botch
Melt Banana
Godflesh
Green Carnation
Atheist
Cynic
Horse the Band (recommended for pure comedy/schlock/awesomeness/camp)
The Locust
Behold...The Arctopus (I mentioned them here before)
Between the Buried and Me (their last three records)
Training for Utopia
The Human Abstract
Most of the stuff on The End Records
Giant Squid
Knut

That's all I can really think of for now. Let me know what strikes your fancy.
Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:24 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Captiv8 wrote:
Neuro wrote:

Relax, guy. I mentioned Ahab initially, and you posted about their new album on page thirteen. Nobody is trying to steal your Kool-Aid. Somehow that information about Ahab went into my brain and then slipped away like so many one-night stands.

im not worried about stolen kool-aid, just reminding thats all
Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:21 pm
futuristxen

Listening to the new Evoken album from this year. Liking it a great deal. Great Funeral doom meta(I unlike Captiv8 like doom metal in pretty much all of it's incarnations)l:

In that vein, Skepticism:

The other genre I'm huge into is ambient black metal--so I've been listening to a lot of Darkspace:

And the new Blut Aus Nord/Conclusion of the 777 trilogy:

Blut Aus Nord are probably my favorite metal band. Maybe my favorite band in anything. I think the 777 trilogy was pretty great. Memoria Vetusta is my favorite series by them though.

The Meditant! Soo good.
Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:06 am
futuristxen

Captiv8 wrote:
Do you guys light black candles and douse your capes in goat's blood while listening to this shit?

Yes. I mean, think about who you are talking to here.

Quote:

Surely you yearn for something a bit more visceral than this funereal doom

I listen to Black metal when I'm not listening to funeral doom. So I mean, whenever I want to go faster, I go faster.
Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:24 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

really diggin blut aus nord, Thanks!
Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:58 am
futuristxen

Also are you having the problem that I am where none of captiv8's whatever he posted show up?
Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:06 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

i see it all
Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:11 pm
futuristxen

Oh and I was thinking the other day, that I'm glad I didn't get into Metal until late because if I had gotten into it earlier I probably wouldn't have listened to so many other kinds of music. It's probably my favorite genre right now. I mean I hadn't even ever listened to Maiden before this year. That was an experience. There's so much to catch up on just within the subgenres that I'm into, and that's not even getting to keeping up with everything.

I also think it's funny how wildly different the music is under the metal banner. I don't think there's another genre of music that has such a huge difference between the type of music coming out under it. So it's funny that I could be super into a ton of different bands--and then the stuff Captiv8 listens to is completely off my radar mostly and not really anything like what I listen to predominantly.

Here's another of my faves--Lunar Aurora who put out another dope album this year:

Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:18 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 19, 20, 21  Next