Search
Register
Tablets, tablets and tablets....
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

mzehe916

Tablets, tablets and tablets....  Reply with quote  

I geek out on reviews and articles before I purchase any type of electronic device. So for the last two weeks I've been researching which tablet I want to buy. So far I am sold on the Nexus 7. The only things that are stopping me (besides the late release in my area) are 1) screen size and 2) no expandable memory. What do you guys use and why do you like what you use. Does anyone own the Nexus tablet? What are your thoughts? The reviews are wonderful for it, but can it be all that?
Post Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:05 am
anomaly
Loserface

My iPad is incredible. Jailbreak it and they're even better.
Post Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:49 am
Stormshadow

Windows8 Tablets are coming out in the next month. I personally would wait and see all the new fall devices before purchasing.
Post Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:02 am
Jack

Stormshadow wrote:
Windows8 Tablets are coming out in the next month. I personally would wait and see all the new fall devices before purchasing.

This! It is tough to wait on stuff like this but I'm doing it right now with a phone. I really wanted to pick up a new phone last month but knowing the iphone 5 was tba, i waited to hear more about it.
Post Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:49 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

ipads are pretty damn good and probally the best ,dont listen to haters

windows 8 tablet does look pretty slick too

Last edited by Neuro on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:45 am
mzehe916

Stormshadow wrote:

Yeah, this is normally what I do, and then I lose interest. But I did read today that they are expecting a Google Nexus 10 in late fall/Winter. I just hate waiting! Does anyone own a Nexus? I heard they are selling fast int he U.S., just wondering how people (as opposed to reviewers) are finding them.
Post Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:35 am
Jack

nvm........i deciding between a laptop and a tablet but i think a laptop is for me. Any cool budget laptops?
Post Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:40 pm
Raoul DeGroot

10 inch isn't an awesome size to take out on the town or to school or for lazy one handed reading. 7 inch is kinda the sweet spot unless you need your tablet to pull double duty as a laptop replacement.

I have a galaxy tab 7. That's a good un. The nexus 7 is also great. I've goofed around with it. Both very zippy. Galaxy tab has a few more bells and whistles (sd card expansion and better camera?) and has a keyboard dock that's pretty handy for actual notetaking

If you can stand not having drag and drop for big file transfers though, I'd wait for the ipad mini in october. Android is good and has a few more customizable features, but Apple tablets are always zippier, less buggy, have more apps, and HAS AUDIO LATENCY THAT'S 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANDROID - which you absolutely need for making beats in any capacity.

Having a tablet that can work as a synth/fx processor/recorder/sequencer is a huge deal and android just isn't gonna get there for another generation at least.

The ipad mini is probably gonna be comparable in price to the kindle fire/google nexus they say. I'm thinking of jumping ship. -and I've never owned an apple product in meh life.
Post Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:09 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

ipad mini?

is this confirmed?
Post Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:54 pm
Jack

nah it was heavily rumoured to be in development and many thought it was going to be announced today, but it wasnt. A new iphone, nano, shuffle, and touch were announced. No mention of an ipad mini
Post Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:12 pm
Plum Puddin'

Post Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:35 pm
mzehe916

Raoul DeGroot wrote:
10 inch isn't an awesome size to take out on the town or to school or for lazy one handed reading. 7 inch is kinda the sweet spot unless you need your tablet to pull double duty as a laptop replacement.

I have a galaxy tab 7. That's a good un. The nexus 7 is also great. I've goofed around with it. Both very zippy. Galaxy tab has a few more bells and whistles (sd card expansion and better camera?) and has a keyboard dock that's pretty handy for actual notetaking

If you can stand not having drag and drop for big file transfers though, I'd wait for the ipad mini in october. Android is good and has a few more customizable features, but Apple tablets are always zippier, less buggy, have more apps, and HAS AUDIO LATENCY THAT'S 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANDROID - which you absolutely need for making beats in any capacity.

Having a tablet that can work as a synth/fx processor/recorder/sequencer is a huge deal and android just isn't gonna get there for another generation at least.

The ipad mini is probably gonna be comparable in price to the kindle fire/google nexus they say. I'm thinking of jumping ship. -and I've never owned an apple product in meh life.

Thanks! This is the feedback I was looking for. Practicality in relation to size. This wont be a laptop replacement as much as it will be couch, train, and plane entertainment and an away from laptop or work computer buffer...but to a level beyond what my phone can handle. I won't go the ipad route only because I have no dj potential...wait, yes I do. I can be DJ Potential! What apps do I need to dj hard?
Post Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:55 am
Stormshadow

Take a glance at the Microsoft Surface as well. Has a cover that also serves as a keyboard, win8, and different models sizes.

Edit: Saw that you said laptop. VIZIO has some nice ultrabooks for a good price.

http://www.vizio.com/computing/
Post Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:36 am
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

I have an iPad and it is the first Apple product that I am pleased with. The battery life is long. The screen is good quality. The audio is fine. It rarely crashes. Well worth the price (free as a bonus)!

iTunes on the other hand is a horrible piece of garbage software that is attached to every iPad and you will hate it if you don't already. It will delete shit that it should not, it will not sync, it will fail to upgrade, it will corrupt your apps so they need reinstalled, it will be awful. Don't even think about using 2 iTunes accounts anywhere near the same device. You were warned.
Post Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:30 pm
tommi teardrop

I hear people bitch about itunes, and I guess I'm just ignorant, cuz it always seems to work okay for me. I'm using spotify or soundcloud most of the time these days though.

Having an ipad has killed my ability to use a desktop or even a laptop. "Oh I have to sit in a chair and use a mouse. pfff."

I'm on my ipad all the time. It's the shit. Best purchase since my G4 tower. Can't recommend it enough. I play chess on there. HBO Go. NFL Sunday ticket. The fantasy football app is the shit. And Tiny Wings consumes my life.

I love my ipad. That's it.
Post Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:41 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next