Profile
Search
Register
Log in
How'd you find this forum? How has it influenced you?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Post new topic Reply to topic
Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Author Message
mortalthoughts
LAME KID


Joined: 12 Dec 2002
Posts: 11616
Location: MI
 Reply with quote  

SFR announcement wrote:
Lastly, if everything goes as planned, each and every single one of you motherfuckers will be banned from it before I die.


Its already been there twice in the last 10 years i think your stuck with it

></object>

edit: ive been debating for years on if i should go delete a lot of my old posts from here or not. Looking back on a lot of them i feel so fucking stupid still to this day.......
Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:25 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
futuristxen



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 19373
Location: Tighten Your Bible Belt
 Reply with quote  

SFR announcement wrote:


However, to this forum's credit, this *is* a place where people can hash out their thoughts (or maybe participate in arguments) in a way that is out of the eyes/pokes/disdain/annoyance of their own personal "fanbase"/social circle. This is a select group of people from all walks of life who we've come to know and understand outside of whatever memes and shares happen within our own internet clique. Not only that, but there's an archival thing going on here, which is something I don't get the sense of from sites like Myspace, Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Take yourself for instance. There are many things I've seen you post on twitter and tumblr, but nothing that has given me greater insight into who you are than what I've been able to ascertain from your posts on this forum. In a weird way...this archaic internet platform is more intimate. Or, hey, maybe I'm wrong. But one thing's for sure. This messageboard, in all its puny-ness, has outlasted LiveJournal, Friendster & Myspace. Although it gets a fraction of the activity I currently receive on Facebook and Twitter, it's still more active than my GooglePlus page. People come back to this forum after they abandon the other shit because we're a constant in a virtual world of unreliable sheeeeyot. Lastly, if everything goes as planned, each and every single one of you motherfuckers will be banned from it before I die.


Yeah the archival side of it is interesting, and also why I gave up my notions of internet privacy very very early on. So I guess that's one influence the forum definitely had on me. I'm much more apt to not care who knows what about me because it's out there, and a lot of it is on this forum.

I still google search this site a lot for different things.

And you're right about social media now, not being as personal as it used to be. People used to write emails, and use instant messaging! You could have long involved meaningful conversations with complete strangers. I've found the easiest way to scratch that itch now is to work a few dating sites in conjunction with the other social medias, and then sort of filter the cool people on over to the other stuff after you've both talked ad nauseum about how terrible your parents were to you.

the surreal thing is always when you find someone from one social network in a completely different space entirely. It's like running into your first grade teacher in the grocery store.
Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:21 am
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
xGasPricesx



Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 1552
 Reply with quote  

SFR announcement wrote:
Our goal isn't to wave the flag of messageboards and pretend that they should take priority over all other social sites. Times have changed and I accept that. People have gone on to cater to their own personal pages. I understand that and I do the same. Back in the day, people would post fleeting grievances/interests/thoughts on this site and now they do that on their own page. Good.

However, to this forum's credit, this *is* a place where people can hash out their thoughts (or maybe participate in arguments) in a way that is out of the eyes/pokes/disdain/annoyance of their own personal "fanbase"/social circle. This is a select group of people from all walks of life who we've come to know and understand outside of whatever memes and shares happen within our own internet clique. Not only that, but there's an archival thing going on here, which is something I don't get the sense of from sites like Myspace, Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Take yourself for instance. There are many things I've seen you post on twitter and tumblr, but nothing that has given me greater insight into who you are than what I've been able to ascertain from your posts on this forum. In a weird way...this archaic internet platform is more intimate. Or, hey, maybe I'm wrong. But one thing's for sure. This messageboard, in all its puny-ness, has outlasted LiveJournal, Friendster & Myspace. Although it gets a fraction of the activity I currently receive on Facebook and Twitter, it's still more active than my GooglePlus page. People come back to this forum after they abandon the other shit because we're a constant in a virtual world of unreliable sheeeeyot. Lastly, if everything goes as planned, each and every single one of you motherfuckers will be banned from it before I die.


Pretty much this. I love this forum for all the opposite reasons that I love the other social network sites. I follow futurist on Twitter, but I would know very little about her and wouldn't have too much interest in following her there if it wasn't for the fact that I know her as futuristxen from here. We don't have too much in common when it comes to the things she posts on Twitter, but because of what I get to see her talk about on this forum, I am more inclined to check out a lot of the stuff she posts on there.

For me this forum is kind of like asylum from the rest of the internet. No matter how many preventative measure I take on my social network/media sites, there is a lot of craziness that spills over. This forum is the one place I can count on to find consistently rational and intelligent discussion, and occasional silliness. I find this place to be a great escape from the Twitters, Facebooks and Reddits of the internet, and since I've actually got to learn a decent amount about a lot of people here without meeting many of them in real life, it's nice to check in here and get periodic updates about their lives. Because, at this point, I actually do care about many of them.

Sure this forum isn't nearly as active as many of the social networks and what not, and its feedback isn't as immediate, but to some extent I think it works to its advantage. I really like having this place to come by and rest my internet weary head, to have the occasional good discussion about the latest news story, video game, sports team, band or funny video. It's also a nice way to keep in touch with some of the things going on with SFR that I may miss otherwise.

There may be a day in the future when this forum has outlived its usefulness altogether, and Sage and Co. have completely transitioned to other means of communicating with their fans online, but as far as I'm concerned, that day is not today. I will continue to check this forum daily, and try to post on it as often as I can think of something somewhat worthwhile to say. Overall, I'm still just happy to have this place.

tl;dr: I love this forum for all the opposite reasons that I love most social networks.
Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:08 am
 View user's profile Send private message
tommi teardrop



Joined: 12 Apr 2007
Posts: 2216
Location: Las Vegas
 Reply with quote  

My facebook and twitter game must be garbage, because I never have discussions or arguments that compare to the ones we have here.

I found this place from googling sage after hearing Inherited Scars. I had heard some songs from Napster before that, but IS was the song that got me. Saw the anitconquistador show. I looked at the forum here and there mostly for music recommendations at first.

Didn't get an account until way later. I like message boards because you are held accountable for what you say. And the preview function really allows you to read what you are saying and think about it and how it will be interpreted before posting.

I read some other forums, but this one is the only one I post on regularly.

So yeah, post more everybody.
Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:12 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
MessiahCarey



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 10924
 Reply with quote  

There aren't words for how important a part of my life this forum, the people who post here and the folks who run it are to me. The entire trajectory of my existence has been changed by all of you, and yes - I don't even know what many of y'all look like.

I'm the dude that PatrickBateman drove 8 hours to meet. I had a show in Orlando, which was about 25 hours away from my home. We had a legendary time, and then he just recently put a show on for me and my homies in Philly where he lives and works that was easily the most well attended and profitable stop no our tour and provided LEGENDARY good times.

Growing up in a small town searching for like minded, or unlike minded but interesting and good people sucks. This place changed that and introduced me to so much.

<3,
Shanal
Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:26 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
futuristxen



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 19373
Location: Tighten Your Bible Belt
 Reply with quote  

xGasPricesx wrote:
SFR announcement wrote:
Our goal isn't to wave the flag of messageboards and pretend that they should take priority over all other social sites. Times have changed and I accept that. People have gone on to cater to their own personal pages. I understand that and I do the same. Back in the day, people would post fleeting grievances/interests/thoughts on this site and now they do that on their own page. Good.

However, to this forum's credit, this *is* a place where people can hash out their thoughts (or maybe participate in arguments) in a way that is out of the eyes/pokes/disdain/annoyance of their own personal "fanbase"/social circle. This is a select group of people from all walks of life who we've come to know and understand outside of whatever memes and shares happen within our own internet clique. Not only that, but there's an archival thing going on here, which is something I don't get the sense of from sites like Myspace, Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Take yourself for instance. There are many things I've seen you post on twitter and tumblr, but nothing that has given me greater insight into who you are than what I've been able to ascertain from your posts on this forum. In a weird way...this archaic internet platform is more intimate. Or, hey, maybe I'm wrong. But one thing's for sure. This messageboard, in all its puny-ness, has outlasted LiveJournal, Friendster & Myspace. Although it gets a fraction of the activity I currently receive on Facebook and Twitter, it's still more active than my GooglePlus page. People come back to this forum after they abandon the other shit because we're a constant in a virtual world of unreliable sheeeeyot. Lastly, if everything goes as planned, each and every single one of you motherfuckers will be banned from it before I die.


Pretty much this. I love this forum for all the opposite reasons that I love the other social network sites. I follow futurist on Twitter, but I would know very little about her and wouldn't have too much interest in following her there if it wasn't for the fact that I know her as futuristxen from here. We don't have too much in common when it comes to the things she posts on Twitter, but because of what I get to see her talk about on this forum, I am more inclined to check out a lot of the stuff she posts on there.



Which is kind of what I was saying. When I first started posting here it was a place I could go to feel less alone about my thoughts and taste. Now for the most part I feel like a weird alien. I play videogames sometimes, but the few that I play are not the ones that others here play. I don't care about youtube videos because it's too much of a process for me to commit to. Sports I support the two teams that everyone hates. There aren't really many music threads. I don't share film tastes with the people left here. And politically I often feel like I'm in a party of 1. Also even though I like and am interested in science, I don't hate religious mythologies, or hate people of faith. Or care about juggalos.

The threads that are left that I still like are the personal crisis threads, because it's like...the same reason I almost clicked on that Kristen Stewart/Pattison link on my facebook the other day.

I come back because of the love and respect I have for SFR. And to search old threads. Mostly ones about myself.
Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:09 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP


Joined: 19 Jul 2002
Posts: 7789
 Reply with quote  

i always look forward to futuristxen posts, but never see them anymore :( we need more future
Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:13 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
T-Wrex
p00ny tang


Joined: 30 Jun 2002
Posts: 6405
Location: Detroit, Michigan
 Reply with quote  

I found this site on accident.

I was looking for info on the production of inhalers.
Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:27 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous


Joined: 30 Jun 2002
Posts: 21594
 Reply with quote  

We'll just leave it at that. Haha. Speaking of, if anyone has an inhaler that works and they're willing to send it my way, I'll trade you an album/shirt or something. I'm cleaning out my house to make room for new floors and my asthma is kicking my ass. The last time I visited the doctor (which is raaaaaaarely) I forgot to re-up on that shit. I'm not going back there unless I absolutely have to. Anyway, figured I'd throw that out there.
Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:03 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
mattrego



Joined: 26 Jun 2003
Posts: 1415
Location: RI-CA-FL
 Reply with quote  

Growing up in Rhode Island you had limited radio stations that played rap. The Massachusetts stations came in real shitty for me cause I grew up in Aquidneck Island, which is in the southern most part of RI. The only one that came in clear was 90.3 WRIU, college radio out of the University of Rhode Island. I loved that station. I never wanted to be a rapper or DJ. Rap was an escape for me. And 90.3 provided my own little rap world i could live vicariously thru. I stayed on the Island thru college and continued to listen. I moved to San Diego in 1996 when I graduated college and a buddy of mine used to send me random cassette tapes of the shows on 90.3 from 3-6pm. I discovered Sage thru the cassettes my buddy sent me. His True School Show was fan-fucking-tastic. Sage was a great, great radio personality. Such an entertaining show. Lots of shit talking which was right up my alley.

In 1998 I took a year long internship at the University of RI and was an avid listener of 90.3 once again. Went to a few shows at the Ocean Mist, the Met, etc.. After the internship ended in 1999, I moved to South Florida, but I still wanted to follow this entertaining bastards career. See what he was gonna do with this rap shit. That is when I discovered the internets. Sage used to mention how to follow him online. If I remember correctly, I think this site was run thru UGHH/NON-PROPHETS.COM, or something like that, when it first started. So, basically, this site and forum was my introduction to the internets. Ha.

This place has been entertaining and educational for me. I still check it everyday. It has introduced me too new music. My job(s) and my lifestyle doesn't allow me much time in front of a computer, or even a smart phone. Hell, the only reason I am able to write this somewhat long response is that I'm still kind of layed up from my achilles tendon rupture and wicked case of plantar fasciitis. I really, really suck at internetting and contributing to this forum. But I love this place. I have been back living in RI since 2009 and have seen countless SFR shows. I have been to SFR headquarters. Helped out with getting Li(f)e out to the public.

So yeah, the forum has had a pretty profound effect on me. It introduced me to a whole new genre of rap. When I first heard Sage rap way back when, I thought he would be a good ghostwriter for someone. Haha!!! Shows you how much I know (knew) about anything that has to do with the music industry. My "knowledge" of rap still hasn't progressed. Ask Storm Davis about the atrociously inaccurate comparison I made at the Church show. Yikes. But I will continue to check this forum out until Sage takes it down.

P.S. I miss Phil Lacio, Trav, Bobby Anticon and countless others. Ha.
Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:00 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
poisonfree



Joined: 23 Aug 2002
Posts: 1518
Location: Macramento
 Reply with quote  

Spot on. I can have discussions with people on here and not have it degenerate into 50 comment tirades that expose racist,ignorant,hateful,inconsistent,or straight up stupidity that jeopardizes my relationships with those people directly, or with those people (family members) that read the comments. "Mijo why you friends with such an idiot!?"

It's taken a long while for me to understand that everyone has horrible things about them, and the world has horrible things about it, and if we can't talk about those things without the arguments focused on simply defending some irrational stance, we will never, ever be able to understand (and ultimately address) those issues.

This is the place where discussions can be made that help further my understanding on human beings, politics, and social interaction, without having to worry about people arguing without making a point relevant to the discussion.

So I thank you all for that, immensely.

This forum has made it harder however to discuss things that are "Hot Button" topics because I want to talk about the issue, and in RL nobody wants to discuss anything with any depth.




Quote:

SFR announcement wrote:
Our goal isn't to wave the flag of messageboards and pretend that they should take priority over all other social sites. Times have changed and I accept that. People have gone on to cater to their own personal pages. I understand that and I do the same. Back in the day, people would post fleeting grievances/interests/thoughts on this site and now they do that on their own page. Good.

However, to this forum's credit, this *is* a place where people can hash out their thoughts (or maybe participate in arguments) in a way that is out of the eyes/pokes/disdain/annoyance of their own personal "fanbase"/social circle. This is a select group of people from all walks of life who we've come to know and understand outside of whatever memes and shares happen within our own internet clique. Not only that, but there's an archival thing going on here, which is something I don't get the sense of from sites like Myspace, Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Take yourself for instance. There are many things I've seen you post on twitter and tumblr, but nothing that has given me greater insight into who you are than what I've been able to ascertain from your posts on this forum. In a weird way...this archaic internet platform is more intimate. Or, hey, maybe I'm wrong. But one thing's for sure. This messageboard, in all its puny-ness, has outlasted LiveJournal, Friendster & Myspace. Although it gets a fraction of the activity I currently receive on Facebook and Twitter, it's still more active than my GooglePlus page. People come back to this forum after they abandon the other shit because we're a constant in a virtual world of unreliable sheeeeyot. Lastly, if everything goes as planned, each and every single one of you motherfuckers will be banned from it before I die.

Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:34 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
vincinatti blues



Joined: 04 Jun 2009
Posts: 172
Location: San Jose, CA
 Reply with quote  

Started listening to Sage as a freshman in high school 10 years ago. Found out about this forum and became pretty active on it. At the age of 15 or 16, I flew from California to Rhode Island to attend Sage's benefit concert for Jen Swain where I met a lot of the forum members as well as bunked at Joey Beats' place.

Eventually I became a pretty angry teenager and purposefully banned myself from this forum but ol' Sage let me back in. It's been years since I've been here, no love lost.

Hi guys! Hope all is well with everyone.
Post Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:02 am
 View user's profile Send private message
laurapalmer



Joined: 10 Jul 2002
Posts: 1474
 Reply with quote  

I saw atmosphere and sage at the empty bottle in chicago in 2002, jumped on the forum after that. At one point before that i had stumbled onto the ezboard, but i didn't connect any dots until after that show.

then over the next few years, went through some things, moved a lot, had some difficulties and used this joint to keep me together (and be combative to work out some stress). for a small window, this forum was a life line. then it was just a fun place to talk to people, but i never really made much effort to meet people in real life after one such get together went horrible.

the forum introduced me to some fantastic art, music, films, and books. it also gave me a lot to consider ranging from economics to religion.

the last couple years i have been so focused on staying afloat with my business and then with moving on that i haven't allowed myself time to drop in here very much.

and of course i participated in the SFR fantasy football league. i actually shot icarus a note to see if that was going down this year, haven't heard anything.

edit: and like an idiot i finally logged into yahoo and saw an invite waiting. so, yeah...guess that is on.
Post Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:54 am
 View user's profile Send private message
crash



Joined: 07 Aug 2003
Posts: 5456
Location: the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption
 Reply with quote  

Thanks for the shout out Cap!

I got into hip hop my freshman year of college (2000) but I was mostly listening to early 90s NY stuff. This girl I was dating told me she heard a rapper on college radio who said something about Ani Difranco and she thought I might like him. His name was ďAtmosphereĒ. With the internet, Napster and massive amounts of free time it didnít take me long to completely immerse myself in the indie hip hop scene. Of course Sage was a big part of that.

At some point I recall going on the EZBoard to ask if the guy from Cake plays the trumpet on The Rewrite. I was berated, schooled about AOI, and left with my ego slightly bruised. Then in 2003 I signed up for some reason I canít remember. I didnít return to post regularly till a few years later, when an office job provided me ample downtime to waste time arguing on the internet.

This place taught me a lot about hip hop, history, politics, racismÖ it seemed like for every topic there was an expert on hand. Itís influenced my musical tastes and political outlook as more than some of my closest friends. My politics took a definite swing to the left in my years on here, though I remained to the right of the board as a whole.

That status - being the boardís self-appointed moderate champion - seems pretty funny (and sad) to me now. Back in the beginning I took this board extremely seriously. I was living at home in a small town with just a handful of friends, working a boring job that I hated, stewing over the recent loss of my first love, sliding deep into depression, and escaping all that with what I later realized were the first stages of alcoholism. This board was one of my primary means of interacting with other people and it meant a lot to me Ė which mostly manifested in taking arguments and bannings super seriously, as if I was righteous online crusader for truth and fairness. To me, the internet was very serious business. Now I look back on a lot of what I posted and cringe.

These days I check the board now and again but itís sort of lost its luster. The crowd is smaller and more homogenous for a variety of reasons. Iíve also grown somewhat bored with hip hop. Sole played at a bar 3 blocks from my house and I didnít go because I was tired. Iíve never been the biggest fan of his stuff but 5 years ago I probably would have driven an hour each way to see that show. Itís sad that this community isnít as vibrant, but I think itís partially due to an inevitable feedback loop. We got busier as we got older and as a result we had less time to spend on the board. When we did check it, weíd think ďwow this place is deadĒ and then move on with our day instead of doing something to contribute. Perhaps Iím projecting my personal experience, but I think I speak for more than a few.

Iíve met a lot of awesome people through this forum (including a girlfriend) and Iím content with all the time I ďwastedĒ here. I think it made me a better person, even if in the process I repeatedly embarrassed myself on a medium thatís archived for perpetuity. Oh well.
Post Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:07 am
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Mark in Minnesota



Joined: 02 Jan 2004
Posts: 2019
Location: Saint Louis Park, MN
 Reply with quote  

Today at work one of my employer's systems operators dismissed an email alert about something broken saying "Pinging green now. Assuming it was a blip."

I produced data showing that the problem was intermittent but ongoing, and tagged the graphs with a note saying that the system in question was "steady taking blips."

Internet-tainted vernacular. Thanks, Strange Famous Forum!
Post Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:33 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
All times are GMT - 6 Hours.
The time now is Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:39 am
  Display posts from previous:      


Powered by phpBB: © 2001 phpBB Group
Template created by The Fathom
Based on template of Nick Mahon