Profile
Search
Register
Log in
olympics thread
View previous topic | View next topic >

Post new topic Reply to topic
Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Author Message
mancabbage



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Posts: 9262
Location: london
olympics thread  Reply with quote  

what you guys make of that opening ceremony? tons of very brittish references was wondering if it alll made sense to everyone. Loved the nod to music, bean was great as was james bond and the queen, only thing i'd have added was some monty python and del boy. Other than that pretty fun i thought,

I'm scared of getting the tube now
Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:11 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SFR announcement



Joined: 26 Jul 2004
Posts: 921
 Reply with quote  

Can't say that I plan on watching any Olympics stuff. I'll wait for the highlights reel I suppose.
Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:28 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
futuristxen



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 19362
Location: Tighten Your Bible Belt
 Reply with quote  

I missed it. Wha happened?
Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:59 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Captiv8



Joined: 25 Aug 2006
Posts: 8538
Location: Third Coast
 Reply with quote  

I'd almost rather have no fanfare for the Olympics, and then a big celebration once it's all over. There's this big fucking to-do like so many people care, when I think most people are more concerned with trifles and other bullshit. They might put the Olympics on while vacuuming or paying the bills, maybe even while making dinner, but it's not a serious sit down with the family over a bowl of popcorn kind of thing. It's a niche thing, where only hardcore sportophiles and actual athletes of the given event tune in.
Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:10 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
JohnSchwan



Joined: 05 Dec 2005
Posts: 667
Location: Baton Rouge, LA/MA
 Reply with quote  

Captiv8 wrote:
I'd almost rather have no fanfare for the Olympics, and then a big celebration once it's all over. There's this big fucking to-do like so many people care, when I think most people are more concerned with trifles and other bullshit. They might put the Olympics on while vacuuming or paying the bills, maybe even while making dinner, but it's not a serious sit down with the family over a bowl of popcorn kind of thing. It's a niche thing, where only hardcore sportophiles and actual athletes of the given event tune in.


That's actually not true, it's historically one of the top rated events in all Nielsen metered markets. It's a pretty big deal.
Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:43 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
mancabbage



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Posts: 9262
Location: london
 Reply with quote  

Yeah, if you think worldwide, its massive.


futuristxen wrote:
I missed it. Wha happened?


directed by danny boyle and he smashed it... The queen parachuted in with james bond and mr bean played chariots of fire. Tim berners lee got a big scene too. Aswell as nods to the industrial revolution, immigration, fairy tails, nationalised healthcare, childrens hospitals and a 70ft lord voldermort being defeated by 200 mary poppins


Whilst i wont be watching it much i gona def check the 100meters, boxing and swimming


edit

link to bean - http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f73_1343439895
Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:44 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jesse Custer



Joined: 01 Dec 2006
Posts: 1258
Location: London
 Reply with quote  

Also, Becks looked cool as fuck driving a flaming speedboat down a canal to bring the flame in.
Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:59 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
anomaly
Loserface


Joined: 22 May 2008
Posts: 2578
Location: DFW, TX
 Reply with quote  

the American team coming in looked like a Apple commerical.

So many phones
Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:04 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
AdamBomb



Joined: 05 Mar 2004
Posts: 3183
Location: Louisiana
 Reply with quote  

Mr. Bean. That is all.
Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:42 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
mlanifesto



Joined: 16 Apr 2006
Posts: 354
Location: UK>Head Like a Fucking Orange County>San Francisco
 Reply with quote  

Have to agree that they missed a trick. Having Del Boy self-immolate and then fall through a bar onto the cauldron would have been better.
I went in to it cynical, but in the end it did make me a little homesick.

Seemed like Boyle had some good ideas, a bit for the NHS, Abide With Me, all that good stuff. Proper wound up a few Tories. I'd say it was a job well done.

Some concrete good came out of it too, a fascist prick of an MP stitched himself up. Aidan Burley tweeted "Thank God the athletes have arrived! Now we can move on from leftie multicultural crap. "
That confused the fuck out of me, because the athletes arriving meant a parade of people from every culture participating in the games.
Looks like he'll be out of a job soon enough.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/jul/28/olympics-opening-ceremony-multicultural-crap-tory-mp?newsfeed=true

Any truth to the news that he managed to get the first lesbian kiss broadcast on Saudi Arabian TV? People seemed to miss it on the NBC broadcast, but it was there.
Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:16 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
mancabbage



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Posts: 9262
Location: london
 Reply with quote  

apparantly the USA broadcast edited out the lesbian kiss and 7/7 tribute for some adverts? booooo
Post Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:41 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
reintroducing



Joined: 06 Nov 2002
Posts: 1142
Location: melbourne
 Reply with quote  

Man I forgot Danny Boyle was directing it, I missed both airings, the queen parachuted in!? James Bond?! Mr Bean?! God damn it to shit.
Post Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:34 am
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
mancabbage



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Posts: 9262
Location: london
 Reply with quote  

mlanifesto wrote:
Have to agree that they missed a trick. Having Del Boy self-immolate and then fall through a bar onto the cauldron would have been better.
I went in to it cynical, but in the end it did make me a little homesick.



same i was mad cynical about all this, but gotta take my hats off to danny boyle a lot of that took balls, really do wish this got on there somewhere tho

</object>
Post Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:34 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Captiv8



Joined: 25 Aug 2006
Posts: 8538
Location: Third Coast
 Reply with quote  

People really watch the Olympics? That's crazy to me. Only a few of the events are actually engaging. I don't say that to disparage the athletes. It's just hard for me to believe that most people care to watch a sport that isn't in the big five.
Post Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:02 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Eric B



Joined: 30 May 2005
Posts: 1327
Location: Omaha, Ne
 Reply with quote  

mancabbage wrote:
Yeah, if you think worldwide, its massive.


futuristxen wrote:
I missed it. Wha happened?


directed by danny boyle and he smashed it... The queen parachuted in with james bond and mr bean played chariots of fire. Tim berners lee got a big scene too. Aswell as nods to the industrial revolution, immigration, fairy tails, nationalised healthcare, childrens hospitals and a 70ft lord voldermort being defeated by 200 mary poppins


Whilst i wont be watching it much i gona def check the 100meters, boxing and swimming


edit

link to bean - http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f73_1343439895


All the Mr bean links keep getting removed. That part was hilarious
Post Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:04 pm
 View user's profile Send private message

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
All times are GMT - 6 Hours.
The time now is Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:03 pm
  Display posts from previous:      


Powered by phpBB: © 2001 phpBB Group
Template created by The Fathom
Based on template of Nick Mahon