Search
Register
London - Things to do or see
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

poopsnack

London - Things to do or see  Reply with quote  

I am going to London in a little over a week and want to know what people who have been there or live there think is worth doing or seeing. I will probably dip to Paris for a few days after, too. More time will be in London at the Olympics. So... Big Ben, the London Eye, London Bridge... got it. There are lots of resources on the 'net for tourist things... but I want to know what you think is coolest. Don't know when I will return there.
Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:08 pm
GrantherBirdly
D&D addict

murder sherlock holmes
Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:56 am
GrantherBirdly
D&D addict

use the word cunt with impunity
Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:56 am
ROTTY

There will be loads of stuff happening across London especially during the Olympics!

I would recommend checking out the Tate Modern while youíre here and some other galleries. It depends on what youíre looking for?

London will be very busy so as an alternative day out would be to get on a train to Brighton and (30 -40 mins from London). Itís a nice coastal town that is great for venues and shopping and generally a nice place to walkabout.
Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:45 am
anomaly
Loserface

Whatever you do, don't roger the boogley.

You should never roger the boogley.
Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:54 am
mancabbage

list of things going on during the olympics: http://pinterest.com/lankygirl/london-events-calendar/

The transport here is mental at the moment, traffic everywhere, although the tube hasn't been that much worse than normal as far as i've noticed anyway. When you go down there, bring water in case it gets stuck. Also get an oyster card (a top up travel card) - don't buy individual tickets at the tube stations as you'll end up paying through the nose for it.

Everywhere you're gona go is gona be packed and there's tons to do here so it really depends on what you're into tbh.

Aside from all the museums and art galleries it depends on the weather, if its nice (its fucking lovely here at the mo) i'd go outside somewhere, maybe a boat ride down the thames.

Orrr go to one of the london parks ( here's a list that will have big screens up showing the games - http://www.reddit.com/r/london/comments/x6j8o/a_list_of_big_screens_showing_the_olympics_in/ )

They're all pretty nice although my favorite is probably hampsted heath, you can go swimming in the ponds there if you're brave,

its quite central and has some great views of the city, its also really close to camden town which is worth checking out - lots of markets and pubs with gig venues in them and can be a nice place to drink. check out 55 during happy hour and you can drink awesome cocktails for really cheap.

The tower of London can be cool, although last time i went i was about 13, but you do get to see where people lost their heads... st pauls cathedral is pretty cool, you can go to that walk across the river to tate modern then eat on the south bank of the thames all in one day pretty easily if you wanted.

Soho is also really nice to go drinking, covent garden too if you're loaded but I would avoid leiscter square during the night as its a magnet for prats.

In terms of nightlife, there really isn't that much going on around the area of olympics - that area used to be somewhat a wasteland, the closest place is the financial sector (those big towers you'll be able to see) - don't go there, its sterile, vapid of life and shit.

Going a bit more into central london you can get to liverpool street and head down to east london which is where you'lll find a bit more of a hipster vibe and the nice bars that they frequent, brick lane used to be the place, its now full of agro drunk thugs and the curry is fucking garbage and geared toward tourists and drinks, most pale skinny people in 2nd hand go stoke or dalston now. Which is ok but a bit of a ballache to get back from depending on where you're staying.

Chelsea and Fulham have the kings road which used to be the place in the 70s

and yeah i know its the cheesy tourist thing to do, but i've lopped onto some of those guided walks that people do every now and then and they're actually pretty cool, London is a really old city with a lot of history so you can quite easily get drunk and piss in a corner only to be told thats the place where William Wallace got fucked up.

http://www.lessonslearnedinlondon.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:53 am
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

I'd take a picture next to Big Ben and the big ferris wheel.
Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:29 pm
mancabbage

also, the food here is great if you know where to go, but there are a lot of places that locals know to avoid that'll have you shitting liquid faster than a cup full of laxatives.

In central london around leiscter square - don't go eat at one of those pizza places with the shit on display - that stuff is so old they could be museums.

Try and eat some brittish curry, its aamzing and i llive off of it, just avoid brick lane its not that great, if you're in a hotel ask someone who works there where they go for a curry and go to a local one
Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:42 pm
poopsnack

mancabbage and rotty, respect. Thank you! I just want to experience the city a bit... so even though I might not be 'into' something doesn't mean I'll rule it out. If I let myself stay in my comfort zone, I'd be sitting in pubs all day and squander this opportunity. That park look really awesome. I will be bringing my camera and that looks rips for some great shots. I will be buying a week pass on the tube, as well. You guys rock.
Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:26 pm
mancabbage

if you've got a free sunday go to camden town on that morning, the market will be busy but also the world food market thingy will be on, they got everything from peruvian curry to chilli sauce and cakes (look for the old italian guy with the moustache's cake stand, they are awesome) - don't mistake it for the Chinese food stands - they're always there and taste like pain.

its just there.

you can email me at seanpicli at gmail dot com if you want and i'll give you my number and ya can call me if you get lost or something
Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:04 am
mancabbage

oooh shit yeah,

I also really reccomend you get one of these

They're super cheap to rent, you can find them everywhere and its a way nicer way of getting around central london than taking the tube. If you have an iPhone you can dl an app that will show you all the parking / rental spots for them around london (they're literally everywhere although somewhat hidden down back streets, rather than in plain view).

Infos here

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/14808.aspx

also this will probably be pretty handy for getting around as it'll let you know how to get somewhere if say the obvious tube line taking you there dies

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en
Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:09 am
ROTTY

Best Pub in London (IMO)
If your floating around north London. Archway/Highgate area. There is the best pub in the world. It's called the Spaniards Inn. Very old pub. Dick Turpin drank in there. But food is great and loads of dogs and a great pub garden.

I also went on the Jack the ripper tour recently and it was great. I would definitely recommend it.
Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:55 am
mancabbage

^ this is indeed a great pub

I disagree with the mans politics but there's no denying the guys charm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19007127

edit, also I'm having a bit of a bbq at mine on the the 4th of august for friends / fam that helped us win that competition, will be lots of food and beer, I always said i'd buy anyone from here a beer if they came over so you're more than welcome to come by if you've got a spare day. I'm at bounds green tube
Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:02 am

Jump to: