Search
Register
Aesop Rock "SKELETHON" available at SFRstore NOW!
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Buddy Peace

There was a lot of tour van thievery happening recently over here with some slightly smaller punk bands- sudden fundraisers had to be organized so they could carry on in most cases, it was just dark news to keep hearing. Fucking crazy thing to do. I don't know if it's chancers or if there's a ring of people who do this in a calculated way but it's nasty shit.

The album is amazing at any rate, it's getting some proper airtime over here.
Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:33 am
Jesse

Captiv8 wrote:
Limbs wrote:
Captiv8 wrote:
Limbs wrote:
Hang on. So you guys are really saying you can listen to an Aesop Rock album all the way through without falling asleep?
Why is this weird? People like different kinds of music.
Boy do they. Intellectualize it all you want. Shit's still boring.
I don't think anybody here is intellectualizing Aesop the artist. Some people find his output pleasing and worth listening to. Others don't. No biggie. I don't listen to him because he makes sense and provides a cohesive narrative from song to song. It's just art for my ears, pure and simple. And like anomaly said, jog on.
Wait yes I totally am - this is not a word but I'm playing along - "intellectualizing" Aesop the artist.

His words make perfect sense to me. He uses more metaphors than similes, and indeed probably more metaphors than direct language, but he does make sense and his songs are internally cogent, and furthermore his albums are tied together by larger themes that can illuminate lyrics that seem obscure our of context.

He genuinely is very intelligent, and his rhymes genuinely are sensible, sensical, and intelligible.

Plus dope and his beats are crazy.

Sucks about his van. Eugh.
Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:01 am
knowrites

i like this new album.
i have fun when i listen to it.
Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:39 am
Captiv8

Let me rephrase, then. If people are analayzing whether or not they should listen to music on an intellectual basis, they shouldn't be. The appreciation of art is an intuitive and subjective process unique to each individual. Even individuals who enjoy the same artwork may enjoy it for different reasons. An intellectual discussion on the merits of said art is great. In the end, whether it be abstract or something
more palatable/accessible, there is no need to slag someone who believes in the process and the product, and works hard at what they do. If it's not your thing, move on.
Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:16 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

knowrites wrote:
i like this new album.
i have fun when i listen to it.
Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:15 pm
Bob_ptmfus

anomaly wrote:
SFR announcement wrote:
Whose van? Did this happen in San Francisco? Because our van was broken into once or twice in that fine city.

Yep, Aesop's in SF. He FB/tweeted it. Had to cancel show at the Fillmore

Hard rock band Torche's van was broken into in San Francisco in June. Cameras, computers, hard drives and a roadie's guitar were taken. I'm guessing some of the venues are by sketchy places?
Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:20 pm
knowrites

Bob_ptmfus wrote:
anomaly wrote:
SFR announcement wrote:
Whose van? Did this happen in San Francisco? Because our van was broken into once or twice in that fine city.

Yep, Aesop's in SF. He FB/tweeted it. Had to cancel show at the Fillmore

Hard rock band Torche's van was broken into in San Francisco in June. Cameras, computers, hard drives and a roadie's guitar were taken. I'm guessing some of the venues are by sketchy places?

i've never been in a venue that wasn't....
Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:55 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:39 pm
anomaly
Loserface

But you can bet your ass if you don't park in the paid lot and your meter expires .........you're fucked. Theyre on that like crazy and oh fuck yeah, you'll pay.

Shows where city priorities are.

If only they could give tickets on broken windows or busted locks.......even more revenue!!!
Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:59 pm
knowrites

anomaly wrote:
But you can bet your ass if you don't park in the paid lot and your meter expires .........you're fucked. Theyre on that like crazy and oh fuck yeah, you'll pay.

Shows where city priorities are.

If only they could give tickets on broken windows or busted locks.......even more revenue!!!

i think you can be ticketed for having a broken window.
maybe it's just the windshield?
Post Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:20 am
anomaly
Loserface

i think it's just the windshield while the vehicle is moving
Post Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:13 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

gotta say

the aesop cd case is the best cd package digipak too yall
Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:30 am
futuristxen

Because of Spotify I've been able to revisit a lot of the hiphop from whence Aesop Rock came, and sort of hear that stuff against other types of music and hiphop--and I think I've gotten to the point where it's just not speaking to me anymore. A lot of it seems old and stale and sad.

I haven't been about Aesop Rock since Labor Days, but I tried to give this album a listen, and it was pretty much impossible to get through. I don't care about his message. His voice bores me. And the production doesn't do anything for me either.

The only guy active in this scene that I can still listen to is B. Otherwise if I'm listening to hiphop it's Spaceghost Purrp/Raider Clan stuff, Lil B, ASAP Rocky, or The Black Hippy group.

You can put El-P on a Killer Mike album, it still sounds dead to me. And this album is deader than that. Great to see that he's still making it happen though, and still has a fanbase. I definitely respect the hustle he's doing, because to remain relevant to anyone for that long with your art is an achievement in hiphop. But the art does nothing for me. And him particularly, not in awhile. But I don't know anything. Like what you like. What moves you is what moves you.
Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:39 pm
anomaly
Loserface

Thanks for taking the time to share your opinion and wonderful list of hiphop makers with us.

That's far out!
Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:31 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

:cough: cough:: hipster ::cough ::

j/k

;p
Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:21 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next