Search
Register
B. Dolan - "House of Bees Vol 2" mixtape + reviews
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Flawed Logic

Location: Austin, TX - Albuquerque, NM - Kalamazoo, MI - Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

Good god damn!!! This.Is.killer.
Post Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:49 pm
bbreakz

b. dolan wrote:
As requested, here's some bee leakage:

http://soundcloud.com/strangefamousrecords/b-dolan-still-here-from-the

Lyrics posted here:
http://bdolan.net/still-here-leak-lyrics-posted/

I'm done. I will listen to no more leaks. This thing got me amped and pissed on my run today. Besides 2BAD this is all I heard. It has given me a taste of the House of Bees flavor.

Are the Skull Beard T-shirts sold out? Not seeing them?
Post Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:16 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

bbreakz wrote:
Are the Skull Beard T-shirts sold out? Not seeing them?

You're right. Not sure what's up with that. We'll have this fixed soon and we'll let you know when it's back up. Should be very soon.
Post Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:37 pm
bbreakz

Well I needed new shirts anyway and I love the Skullbeard shirts but not sure I can rock it. I ordered old ones instead.

I'm pumped that Cancer 4 cure and HOB Vol. 2 will come the same day. I have a new truck with a new stereo. Vol.1 goes in tomorrow on constant loop.

No more leaks! Promise?
Post Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:16 am
Plum Puddin'

BUZZZINN 'ROUNND YOUR HIIIVE!

Ha.That first verse is gold.

2nd ones just fucking dope.

MAURY POVICH!

Nice work to Buddy too.

Cuts are nice.
Post Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:04 am
Storm Davis

The issue with the shirt page has been fixed, its back up and running:

http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/store/b-dolan-skullbeard-tshirt-new-p-559.html
Post Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:28 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
xGasPricesx

Just ordered my copy and can't wait for it to get to my grubby little hands so I can blast it all around town.
Post Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:18 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

xGasPricesx wrote:
grubby little hands

insectual paronomasia?
Post Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:43 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

just got home from work and guess what was waitin for me

awwwwwww yeeeeaaaahhhh

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Post Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:39 pm
Limbs

Re: B. DOLAN - "KING BEE" final leak is out on pg.  Reply with quote  

Despite the fact I think I hate Dolan's blonde beard, this shit needs to be way more viral I feel like.

Post Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:38 am
Limbs

"personal is political, you pigeonhole my music"

Mmmmmmm
Post Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:44 am
xGasPricesx

T-Wrex wrote:
xGasPricesx wrote:
grubby little hands

insectual paronomasia?

Ha, I had to look this up and this page was the first hit to come up on Google. But yeah, something along those lines I suppose.
Post Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:08 am
mattarl

bee'z in the trap cover?
Post Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:48 pm
b. dolan
FBI agent

No idea what that means, but some reviews are starting to roll in:

http://undersong.co.uk/?p=2278

Released: 12/06/2012 on Strange Famous Records

Strange Famous is my favourite independent record label and B Dolan one of its stalwarts, creating edgy, political and emotional hip hop and urban poetry with some of the best producers in the circuit to create some killer hooks. Read more about him here.

I have been lucky enough to catch Dolan live in the UK twice, most recently on his tour with Scroobius Pip, where he showcased a couple of new tracks from this album, House of Bees – Volume II. Surprised he was dropping a new album so soon after Fallen House, Sunken City in 2010, I was keen to find out what HoBV2 had in store for us.

Produced by SFR producer and DJ de jour Buddy Peace, the concept behind HoBV2 was that it would be an hour long “album quality” mix-tape of “tunes good enough to be on a regular LP” (Dolan’s words). And if there is one thing BP can do – it’s make a mix-tape. First track Still Here chronicles B Dolan’s father’s diagnoses with terminal cancer, and how the loss had caused him to question his calling. However, upon hearing this upbeat and unique cut provided by Buddy Peace, Dolan states he was pulled out of his reverie, and decided to fight back, and get this album finished. And thank the Gods of hip hop he did. From its opening riffs (note to self – can a bagpipe sample be a riff?) it was clear this album would be a game changer.

B Dolan has stripped away all except that which is necessary on the tracks to basically leave his guts strewn across the record. It’s wide open, raw, emotional, personal, political but utterly listenable. Even if you don’t agree with the politics behind some of the tracks on album, this won’t detract from the album. Tin Soldiers, where B lays down his opinions on military conscription will be a heartfelt hymn to some, but to others it will simply be a pretty beautifully worded track with a relaxed r and b hook. Film The Police, the recent You Tube phenomena, has become an anthem for the Occupy movement (of which B Dolan is a spokesman), but to others, it will simply be a banging hip hop record, using reworked cuts from the NWA classic F*** The Police to make a modern day anti-establishment track. Dolan has a flawless ability to inform, to educate – but not to preach, and this seeming absence of judgement is what helps endear the listener to him.

As this is a mixtape, the tracks blend seamlessly from one to another, whilst still each maintaining an individual identity (so you can listen to it on shuffle without it sounding chaotic, don’t worry). Buddy’s attention to detail means even the interlude track Colony Collapse has a post-apocalyptic, unsettling vibe to it, complete with a spoken word detail of how Colony Collapse Disorder can be identified by the loss of bees (seriously – wiki it).

Reviewing this album has been really, really hard – mainly because I could write essays on each track; the lyrics, the poetry, the song structures – then the music; the samples, the effortless mixing, the seamless matching of one to the other. Not to mention the overall concept of a mix tape album, which deserves far more analysis than I can give it here.

The best thing you can do? Just buy it. Listen. And feel the hairs on the back of your neck rise up when you realise what this album has created. A new breed of emceeing. A new breed of hip hop. And it will give you goose bumps.

Buy From 12th June from www.strangefamousrecords.com/store

Rating: 9/10

Turn On: When it starts

Turn Off: When it’s over
Post Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:23 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

film the police is much more than just an #Occupy song, while it works great with all that , its much bigger, and i kinda cringe a lil when i see that some only think of it as an occupy anthem
Post Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:00 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next