View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Dr Sagacious

AdamBomb wrote:
See Chronicle. Seriously. Very good.
Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:20 pm
Limbs

Brynjar wrote:
- So Erik Selvig is under the mindcontrol of Loki, gets knocked out, wakes up and basically says "I wasn't 100% under his control so I put a feature in the doomsday machine I bulid for Loki, without him knowing, that makes it useless." That's just lazy writing.

Yeah, I'm gonna pay attention to that when I see it again. Admittedly, Whedon really doesn't care much for details like that. He just wants the people to go through stuff. The mystical whozawhat is really an after thought, but it would help for him to pay more attention to that sometimes.

Brynjar wrote:
- None of The Avengers have any emotional stakes when they are fighting, all the love interests from the other movies are miles away from any action. Maybe that's a plus but for me it was kinda like "well it's just another day at the office."

Are you suggesting that only love interests can induce emotional stakes? This is silly. There are huge emotional stakes. And it WAS another day at the office.

Brynjar wrote:
+ Hawkeye runs of out arrows at one point, I really liked that.

Me too.

Brynjar wrote:
- I know this is a PG13 movie but I think I can safely say that not one civilian dies during the final battle. Aliens shooting everything with ray guns and they only hit cars. There is even a scene where an alien couldn't kill some poor soul only 10 feet from him.

Yeah, kids, what can you do?

Brynjar wrote:
- The aliens shut off like robots and fall down when their main "ship" is blown up but at no point is that explained and we have no indication that they are like The Borg.

Yeah, it did seem out of nowhere. Easy way to just stop the battle. Again, details.

Brynjar wrote:
- The Avengers don't save the world with their powers/skills but with a nuke.

That is utter nonsense. They all utilized their specific powers within the team. You're being silly again.

I thought the movie was really funny. Maybe too funny. It kept undercutting the drama... but ya gotta mass appeal.

I don't understand your issue with Cobie Smulders. She had like 6 lines. She did the job. The part didn't call for anything more.

I wasn't in love with some of the action. Too cartoony for me but that is hard to avoid when you're pretty much forced to use CGI for characters. I think he kept it on location as much as he could.

The Hulk is just too big for me. He is too unreal. I think Whedon played off that perfectly by getting a little overtly silly with it. Waking up Ironman, punching Thor, beating up Loki. I loved those parts.

I saw a few forced shots. Cutesy camera angels and stuff. It works because you can just say it's an epic super hero movie but... I dunno. Too obvious I guess.

Still, awesome movie and I'm really happy it's killing in theaters.
Post Sat May 05, 2012 2:15 pm
Brynjar

Limbs wrote:
Brynjar wrote:
- The Avengers don't save the world with their powers/skills but with a nuke.

That is utter nonsense. They all utilized their specific powers within the team. You're being silly again.

Nah, it ended with Iron Man guiding a nuke through a hole in the sky while the others were fighting the aliens (and losing?). It wasn't some Stark tech, Mjölnir, a Hulk burp or something awesome the movie should've had. It was a regular nuke seen in so many movies. Why didn't they shoot it up the goddamn sky hole in the first place and where was the US army? Whatever, movie logic I guess.

Limbs wrote:
I thought the movie was really funny. Maybe too funny. It kept undercutting the drama... but ya gotta mass appeal.

I thought it wasn't funny but yeah the "funny bits" really undercut the drama.
Post Sat May 05, 2012 3:57 pm
Limbs

Just saw it again. I think Selvig says Loki made him put a fail safe thingy on the whats-it. They needed Loki's spear to shut it down.

Hulk smashed everything, Thor hammered everything, Cap directed everything, and Stark used his ingenuity. They all played their parts as a team. The nuke was just an excuse to have something powerful enough to blow up the mothership. But the real story there was Stark's willingness to sacrifice himself.
Post Sat May 05, 2012 5:54 pm
Captiv8

Just peeped Crazy, Stupid, Love and The Sitter in a Red Box double feature. The first was pretty good, though I couldn't help but see Steve Carell as a softer, more sensible version of Michael Scott. Gosling was fucking dynamite (that man can wear a suit like nobody's business) and I actually enjoyed Moore's performance. The reveal toward the end was nice too. In the end it was a hopeless romantic's delight.

The Sitter was good for a few laughs, though there were many instances were I think it could have been even funnier. That said, there were some pretty undisguised stereotypes at work that verged on racist. Consider Jonah's scenes in the apparently all-black bar, or the little brawl at the end in the park. Or the fact that the Hispanic kid is ever the troublemaker. Aside from these things, I'd recommend watching this once for some giggles and then purging yourself with more humorous fare.
Post Sat May 05, 2012 6:52 pm
Brynjar

Limbs wrote:
Just saw it again. I think Selvig says Loki made him put a fail safe thingy on the whats-it. They needed Loki's spear to shut it down.

Hulk smashed everything, Thor hammered everything, Cap directed everything, and Stark used his ingenuity. They all played their parts as a team. The nuke was just an excuse to have something powerful enough to blow up the mothership. But the real story there was Stark's willingness to sacrifice himself.

Why would Loki want to have a fail safe on it? Is he gonna screw Thanos over?

The ending would've been fantastic if Thor supercharged Iron Man durning the nuke scene while the others protected Thor while he's doing it, that's a team ending.
Post Sat May 05, 2012 7:15 pm
Limbs

Brynjar wrote:

Limbs wrote:

Why would Loki want to have a fail safe on it? Is he gonna screw Thanos over?

The ending would've been fantastic if Thor supercharged Iron Man durning the nuke scene while the others protected Thor while he's doing it, that's a team ending.

C'mon. That some corny Fantastic Four ending. And The Avengers aren't that kind of team. They clash. They don't really compliment each other. They don't work together. So, yeah, it is sloppy and opportunistic. I find that way more interesting.
Post Sat May 05, 2012 7:55 pm
Limbs

Something else I really loved in the movie. I don't think it's very spoilery.

The scene when Stark and Banner are first in the lab, shooting the shit before Cap comes in. I love how that plays out and there's almost this awkward transition when Stark says Banner should come visit him and hang out. I love that mundaneness.
Post Sat May 05, 2012 10:19 pm
Brynjar

Limbs wrote:

Limbs wrote:
C'mon. That some corny Fantastic Four ending. And The Avengers aren't that kind of team. They clash. They don't really compliment each other. They don't work together. So, yeah, it is sloppy and opportunistic. I find that way more interesting.

You don't say :)

Like I said I enjoyed the movie but I would've liked more if they did something else then just Iron Man flying a nuke up the sky hole.
Post Sun May 06, 2012 6:16 am
Limbs

My point is that you can't have some epic, choreographed team move with The Avengers. They still worked together.
Post Sun May 06, 2012 11:10 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

the avengers movie was great

a great summer superhero popcorn flick

theres no need to pick it apart, if youve seen any of the solo movies you kinda knew what you were gettin ready to see, and thats what they gave us, this movie is much better if youve seen all the solo movies too

with that said , Spiderman and of course batman will be a lot better

prometheus will be the best movie of the summer
Post Sun May 06, 2012 3:22 pm
JohnSchwan

I think Prometheus will suck. I also believe it'll go The Dark Knight Rises > The Avengers > Spiderman.
Post Sun May 06, 2012 4:00 pm
Limbs

I have absolutely no desire to see the new Spiderman. Rises just better be better than Begins. Ridley hasn't been relevant for ages but I'll give Prometheus a chance.

You guys are nutty.
Post Mon May 07, 2012 12:13 pm
Plum Puddin'

I try again & again, but i just cant get into super hero movies.

Post Mon May 07, 2012 6:45 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

im not that hyped about spiderman either but i think it could be way better than expected and i hope its better than what i think its going to be

and theres no way prometheus will be shit, no way
Post Mon May 07, 2012 8:52 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 58, 59, 60  Next