Search
Register
Movies, Movies, Movies
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

mzehe916

tommi teardrop wrote:
I'm watching the remake of Arthur for the second time I like it a lot.

Nooooo. Really? The original used to be a Saturday morning clean-up movie. I feel like I've seen them all too many times. I don't think I could ever give the remake a fair shot. I feel like this would be just like "Get Him to the Greek," but much less entertaining.
Post Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:58 am
xGasPricesx

Post Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:00 am
tommi teardrop

Yeah, I haven't seen the original since I watched it 30 or so times when I was 8 years old. I always liked it, but it was never a sacred movie to me or anything.

But Russell Brand is great in the new one. The dialogue made me lol at least 30 times and he and Helen Mirren are perfect together.

Then again, I'm a pretty big Russell Brand fan. If you don't like him, you will probably hate this.
Post Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:55 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I was kinda sorta maybe on the fence with Russell Brand. But that film definitely put me over the top and onto the "holy shit, this might be the most annoying and unlikeable human alive" side.
Post Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:21 am
tommi teardrop

Really? I always thought he was really charismatic.

I read his book on a long flight and really liked it/him. He has a part about raising inbred hamsters in his room as a kid that makes me laugh every time I think about it. He has a way with words.
Post Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:02 pm
mancabbage

His radio show / podcast used to be really, really funny.

I've not liked any film or tv work he's done though, garbage
Post Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:39 pm
Limbs

Captiv8 wrote:
You're misinterpreting my criticisms for total dislike. Wrong. I think the movie was very clever and successful as meta-expression. I enjoyed it, but that doesn't mean I can't have complaints. There's nothing wrong with wanting something great to be something excellent.

I recommended the movie to three of my co-workers today as well.

Haha, I was busting yer chops.
Post Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:58 pm
selfworth

Bicycle wrote:
I fell asleep watching Rubber the other day. I thought it was going to be a kickass movie about a tire that kills people but they fucked it up with stupid social commentary every five minutes and whatnot. Lame

i made it about 15-20 minutes into it and i had to turn it off. that movie is sooo bad it can't even be good in a bad way. i have a friend that recommended it to me and i told him to never recommend anything to me ever again after that debacle
Post Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:50 pm
Captiv8

I watched Carnage this weekend. The first thing I noticed about this movie was how seemless that editing of the movie was. This isn't normally something I think of unless it's bad, but it was really impressive given the limited set. That said, I think Polanksi should have used more tracking shots to stick with the dialogue and carry over some of the feel from the play. The performances were really great, especially Jodie Foster. I could have done without Winslet though. I don't have anything against her, but I feel like someone lesser known would have given the role a bit more authenticity. But it was great overall, especially the emotional transitions. It's a sleeper though, so bring your patience.

Now The Descendants. It was terrific to see Clooney outside of his usual intensely handsome rogue pigeonhole. He was surprisingly convincing in the role of shaky father, though I would have liked more of an unstable element to his character drig certain moments, given the circumstances. The two girls playing his daughters were really great as well, even while in Clooney's shadow. As a whole, however, I'm not sure the film warranted as much critical claim as it received. It was good, don't get me wrong, but Oscar worthy? That's a little generous. Ah well. It was filmed on location though, which gave it a nice visual backdrop.
Post Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:58 pm
Brynjar

tommi teardrop wrote:
Really? I always thought he was really charismatic.

I read his book on a long flight and really liked it/him. He has a part about raising inbred hamsters in his room as a kid that makes me laugh every time I think about it. He has a way with words.

Agreed

I've seen Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Get Him To The Greek and Despicable Me and I've thought he was great in all of them. I also like his stand up.
Post Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:44 am
mzehe916

I watched a video of him recently talking to a panel about drug addiction and methods of treatment that showed him in a new light. I did laugh at one point when a member mentioned that he had been arrested roughly 12 times, and he said something along the lines of, "yeah, they were rough." I will watch Arthur, just for you Tommi. And if I don't like it, next time I'm in Vegas I'll burn every white-boy working for a chinese law group. Or not.
Post Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:13 am
Brynjar

So I just saw The Avengers and I enjoyed it. Really great action and mostly great cast even tho Cobie Smulders is a huge miscast. The dialogue is without a doubt the movie weak point, so much cheese and unfunny lines.

The spoilers below will be in brown so unless you really try you can't/won't read it. (edit: its the best color me thinks for this but maybe my eyes are fucked up)

The color looks very differently when I preview my post and after I posted :/

- So Erik Selvig is under the mindcontrol of Loki, gets knocked out, wakes up and basically says "I wasn't 100% under his control so I put a feature in the doomsday machine I bulid for Loki, without him knowing, that makes it useless." That's just lazy writing.

+ Bruce Banner hulking out the first time he meets the aliens (or whatever they are)

- None of The Avengers have any emotional stakes when they are fighting, all the love interests from the other movies are miles away from any action. Maybe that's a plus but for me it was kinda like "well it's just another day at the office."

+ Hawkeye runs of out arrows at one point, I really liked that.

- I know this is a PG13 movie but I think I can safely say that not one civilian dies during the final battle. Aliens shooting everything with ray guns and they only hit cars. There is even a scene where an alien couldn't kill some poor soul only 10 feet from him.

- The aliens shut off like robots and fall down when their main "ship" is blown up but at no point is that explained and we have no indication that they are like The Borg.

- Calling Hawkeye Legolas is not witty.

- The Avengers don't save the world with their powers/skills but with a nuke.

Last edited by Brynjar on Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:02 pm
AdamBomb

See Chronicle. Seriously. Very good.
Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:04 pm
mancabbage

really? I thought that was garbage, that kid was a whiney shit.

did just go see cabin in the woods, and woaaaa that was surprisingly awesome, monster overload
Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:16 pm
Jesse Custer

I went to see Marley.. It was really fucking good. Bob Marley's music is so omnipresent that you get desensitised to how brilliant he was. This totally brings it home,.
Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:25 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 56, 57, 58  Next