Search
Register
THE Video Game Discussion Thread
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Brynjar

To me Mortal Kombat has always looked more fun but Street Fighter has a better "fighting flow".

I've haven't been a huge fighting game fan but I've played many MKs, SFs and Tekken games and I've to say that the fighting game genre just hasn't evolved enough for me to buy any new games, I could just play Street Fighter II.

But that's just me.
Post Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:17 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

street fighter does have a somewhat of better flow, and "combo" system

but it has too many generic characters, i'll only use maybe 4 of the 20, and each characters special moves are completely different the way you button press which makes it a pain in the ass to go from character to character or to even try a new character and succeed, you basicly have to stick 1 or 2 characters and master them to be any good

mortal kombat focuses largely on special moves, and alot of small combos, and of course fatalities, and almost every character is fun to play with and the way the special moves are done are different from each other but still easy /learnable so you can pick different characters and be good with a big handful of them, plus mortal kombat is loaded with secrets , secret play modes and alot of variety in levels, level fatalities too

fuck that street fighter x tekken game, they should make a mortal kombat vs street fighter game
Post Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:51 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Disharmony wrote:
Says the guy who basically likes anything if he thinks it looks cool before he actually plays it, then spends several pages trying to get people to talk about it when clearly no one is interested. It's okay to be disappointed.

have you played Rage yet, you'll love it :) theres even a demo available to d/l , try it out :)
Post Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:11 am
Brynjar

I really hope Sony will promote the shit out of DUST 514 next E3. It's almost insane that a icelandic game studio could become a AAA studio within the next year or so.
Post Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:44 pm
smake

Finally started playing Deus Ex 3. The first Deus Ex is one of my favorites, never got into the second one (which was a poor sequel, if I should believe the reviews).

This one longs promising so far. A lot like the first one. Actually enjoying walking around and doing sidequests, which I normally skip because of my lack of time (read: Skyrim). Graphics aren't great compared to shooters like Modern Warfare 3, but the atmosphere and overall world looks nice. Really like using air vents and other routes to get inside buildings. Hacking is still a bit odd though.

Actually played a few hours without shooting, which is a first for me. Stealth isn't really my thing, but it works well in this world. Story seems intruiging. It looks like an updated version of the first one, and so far so good.
Post Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:37 am
Z-0

Captiv8 wrote:
And speaking of Silent Hill, anyone check out Downpour yet? The screenshots made it look great. The HD collection comes out Tuesday as well, which should be fun. One thing that drives me crazy about Silent Hill though is the various endings, none of which ever seem to be that great. At any rate, I'm looking forward to playing the second one again in HD, which achievements. Getting the chainsaw was fun.

i've yet to play downpour. from what i've read it's another average game in the series. but like you i'm most excited about playing the second game in HD and with a decent sound system....pyramid head and mannequins...
Post Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:46 am
Captiv8

Dead Space is neato completo. At first I thought the game was a bit too long given two and a half playthroughs are required for all achievements, but I breezed through it on Impossible in just over 9 hours. Not bad. The secondary fire option for the line gun (this explosive mirror-ball thing) kicked ass.

I've looked into the second one and the only thing stopping me from digging into it is the Hard Core mode achievement. Ridiculous, I know. But apparently you have to beat the game on that difficulty (not a problem) with only 3 saves in total (a huge problem). I don't have the time to sit down for a massive session, or the patience if I die somehow to repeat three hours of gameplay.
Post Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:55 am
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Neuro wrote:

but it has too many generic characters, i'll only use maybe 4 of the 20, and each characters special moves are completely different the way you button press which makes it a pain in the ass to go from character to character or to even try a new character and succeed, you basicly have to stick 1 or 2 characters and master them to be any good

mortal kombat focuses largely on special moves, and alot of small combos, and of course fatalities, and almost every character is fun to play with and the way the special moves are done are different from each other but still easy /learnable so you can pick different characters and be good with a big handful of them, plus mortal kombat is loaded with secrets , secret play modes and alot of variety in levels, level fatalities too

fuck that street fighter x tekken game, they should make a mortal kombat vs street fighter game

This is the reality of street fighting and all (fighting) games that were ever made. You will never be a master with all the characters. Someone who spends more time focusing on one will be a master of that one and you'll be a jack of all n00bs. That's the way the world works. 10,000 hours to become an expert at something, on average.

Here's an article that every gamer should read, and I can almost guarantee none of you will, but it would set your mind free:

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw

It's called "Playing to Win". I've given you the power, take it in your hand like a Nintendo glove and use it.
Post Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:55 am
Mark in Minnesota

I suspect that achievement wouldn't actually be that hard to obtain. Dead Space 2 speed runs apparently only take a few hours to complete.
Post Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:42 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

correct, while the game is on 2 discs, mainly because of the graphics, the campaign isnt TOO long, i would say its just about right for a game like that

its def a must play if you like the first, this one actually defines the series , where as the first one you are wondering what the fuck is going on , it had you wondering if its a doom3 meets resident evil game or what, deadspace 2 sets the game in firm pavement tells and you whats up, and opens the series up for more, and the gameplay is smooth like butter, playing it feels great, very nicely polished
Post Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:53 pm
Jesse Custer

jakethesnake wrote:
Neuro wrote:

This is the reality of street fighting and all (fighting) games that were ever made. You will never be a master with all the characters. Someone who spends more time focusing on one will be a master of that one and you'll be a jack of all n00bs. That's the way the world works. 10,000 hours to become an expert at something, on average.

Isn't this the whole thing though? Street Fighter (and most other fighting games) has a lot of depth to the fighting system, which gives it so much more longevity. Mortal Kombat absolutely doesn't, but has lots of bright colours and flashing lights which perfect for ADD Neuro.

Btw, Neuro your assesment of Street Fighter is way off. Fair enough if you don't like it but "the buttons you press for the special moves are completely different for each character"?? Bollocks. It's actually because there's not that many different combos for specials that if you can learn one guy, you can pick up and play with a whole bunch, but to get really good you need to understand the peculiarities of that character.
Post Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:18 am
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

current gen fighting games aren't feasible to me with the controllers
my hands cramp up after 10 minutes not fun

give me an arcade controller and ill beat your ass......untill then... i lose

SF2 turbo with the 6 button sega controller is where its at though....
Post Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:24 am
Jesse Custer

Yeah, I had to buy an arcade stick when I got hooked on Street Fighter IV.
Post Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:51 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

i like street fighter
dont get me wrong

i was just giving my opinion on the 2 games

i agree the combat system is more tech for street fighter, i thought i said that (in other words)

mortal kombat has always been my favorite ever since the earlier editions too, i just like that style of game better, and i like the blood and gore,character design, special moves better, and its not flashy with bright colors,(compared to street fighter) thats street fighter , street fighter is all flash (not saying thats bad)
Post Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:12 am
futuristxen

King of Fighters and Samurai Showdown are my favorite fighters
Post Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:52 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 259, 260, 261 ... 354, 355, 356  Next