Bicycle

nope
Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:17 pm
Jesse

mortalthoughts wrote:
McLirious wrote:
Ban handguns!
ban fucking morons from reproducing!
That's a weird response in this case. You think Zimmerman is the way he is because his parents were morons? He's an adult now, it hardly seems pertinent.
Post Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:47 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

Jesse wrote:
mortalthoughts wrote:
McLirious wrote:
Ban handguns!
ban fucking morons from reproducing!
That's a weird response in this case. You think Zimmerman is the way he is because his parents were morons? He's an adult now, it hardly seems pertinent.

it was a knee jerk walking out the door for work reaction to the absurd idea of banning hand guns in america
Post Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:13 am
desert penguin

I think I'm more in favor of sterilizing morons than banning handguns. Guns aren't much of a worry if morons aren't using them. Although, who needs a gun when there are no morons to shoot?
Post Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:40 am
xGasPricesx

The problem with banning guns is that it hasn't seemed to work. In the places they have tried it, gun crime rates haven't really gone down at all, and in some place they have gone up. I really think the left should shift its focus from gun prohibition to much stricter gun education. Much like drugs, you will never stop the flow of guns from getting into the wrong hands, so let's focus on getting more regulations and training to be able to own a gun.

I grew up in a very pro-gun area, and have many friends who are very fond of their guns, and many of them are card-carrying NRA members. The one thing I can always come to a consensus with them on, is that we need more training and education for gun owners. Those people actually want that, because they are just as disgusted with the morons who aren't properly trained with guns, and who end up misfiring and injuring or killing themselves or someone else.
Post Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:00 am
mlanifesto

xGasPricesx wrote:
The problem with banning guns is that it hasn't seemed to work. In the places they have tried it, gun crime rates haven't really gone down at all, and in some place they have gone up...

wat?
I was assuming this was a US specific generalization, as it obviously is untrue looking at stable, wealthy, nations globally, but then I looked into it for 10 mins.
Gun control laws aren't the biggest factor in lower rates of gun deaths in the US, but statistically states with gun control laws have lower gun death rates than those with less gun control laws.

There is an interesting article from The Atlantic from last year that looked at this and came up with this graph

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/01/the-geography-of-gun-deaths/69354/

Of course all of these factors are impacted by the availability of guns and ammo.
Canada has modern gun laws, but US guns can move across the border pretty easily and they have a higher gun death rate than other wealthy stable nations with similar laws.
Post Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:47 pm
Bicycle

Yes. Voting for McCain is a greater factor in gun violence than poverty, stress, mental illness, living standards, happiness and well-being. That makes perfect sense to me. So when some kid shoots up a school we can cross all those things off the list and just blame republicans. I cant wait for the bumper stickers

That was an enlightening article. I'm gonna read the one about why rich people are less ethical now. I fucking hate those guys
Post Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:29 pm
GrantherBirdly
D&D addict

Bicycle wrote:
Yes. Voting for McCain is a greater factor in gun violence than poverty, stress, mental illness, living standards, happiness and well-being. That makes perfect sense to me. So when some kid shoots up a school we can cross all those things off the list and just blame republicans. I cant wait for the bumper stickers

That was an enlightening article. I'm gonna read the one about why rich people are less ethical now. I fucking hate those guys

You must not be a very close reader. Here are two excerpts from the article that you should review before spouting your misplaced indignation:

Quote:

As usual, I point out that correlation does not imply causation, but simply points to associations between variables.

I bolded the key section of this one to assist you:

Quote:

What about politics? It's hard to quantify political rhetoric, but we can distinguish blue from red states. Taking the voting patterns from the 2008 presidential election, we found a striking pattern: Firearm-related deaths were positively associated with states that voted for McCain (.66) and negatively associated with states that voted for Obama (-.66). Though this association is likely to infuriate many people, the statistics are unmistakable. Partisan affiliations alone cannot explain them; most likely they stem from two broader, underlying factors - the economic and employment makeup of the states and their policies toward guns and gun ownership.
Post Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:47 pm
mlanifesto

Bicycle wrote:
Yes. Voting for McCain is a greater factor in gun violence than poverty, stress, mental illness, living standards, happiness and well-being.

Just to clarify my position on that as it was a little oversimplified above:

I would say that red states tend to vote against their own interests, and bring about conditions that promote the other factors that were looked at.

If you look at poverty, Republicans are constantly going for the little welfare provision provided here. Mental illness is more likely to be treated in areas with good public health care.

You also bring up things like stress and happiness, countries with a lower level of inequality and a bigger social safety-net tend to do better in (dodgy) polls about happiness. I assume it would be the same for states. These are areas which republicans don't seem to prioritize, to put it as generously as I can.

If we are looking all the things measured, and the types of governance that exacerbates or alleviates these things, it is not unsurprising that voting republican is the most common factor.

That is just me guessing though, it's not a simple graph made from factual data.
Post Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:50 am
Bicycle

The way information is propagated online leaves little room for idealistic fantasies such as reading comprehension and common sense. communication is reduced to what can fit within the character limits of whatever social network is occupying attention spans at the moment. Most wont get beyond the graph before they let their passions consume them and a need to validate their one sided views takes over. Obvious Bias is obvious

a constant stream of divisive and incomplete information travels the blogosphere like a game of telephone. Ends at the part of the brain that processes emotion stripped of fact and any conclusive evidence. A 17 year old african american is transformed into a 14 year old african american right in front of you. It seems white americas compassion is not for those who wear grills. Hispanic is the new white. 10,000 for a head on a platter. Call and response. Stay tuned as the new black panther party turns into the new new white nationalist party. A guaranteed no frills fun for all extravaganza
Post Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:01 am
Limbs

Man, bounties aren't good for sports or real life.
Post Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:44 pm
AdamBomb

This would have been a better story for national attention, but its pretty much under the radar outside NOLA.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2012/03/unarmed_man_shot_by_new_orlean.html
Post Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:10 pm
Jesse Custer

Would it?

It's not very cut & dried, and doesn't present a nice easy narrative to break down into soundbites as well.
Post Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:20 am
Captiv8

So now there is video evidence that George Zimmerman was not hurt in any way during the alleged altercation that led to Martin's death. This is counter to both Zimmerman's claims and the actual police report. Further still, Zimmerman's camp is trying to paint Martin as a regular vandal and thief. Christ.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/trayvon-martin-case-exclusive-surveillance-video-george-zimmerman/story?id=16022897#.T3O7oGGmiSo
Post Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:38 pm
AdamBomb

Jesse Custer wrote:
Would it?

It's not very cut & dried, and doesn't present a nice easy narrative to break down into soundbites as well.

A 28 year old white police officer shooting an unarmed 20 year old black man to death in a pot raid (he wasn't even the focus of the raid) isn't easy to break down?
Post Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:53 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next