Search
Register
2012 Election Sufurage.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Captiv8

Did you misspell suffrage on purpose? Is it supposed to be a little jokey wordplay, like sufferage?

I will lose all faith in America if Romney is elected. Talk about a fucking cult leader. The thing about elections in the United States is that there's a general agreement on their effectiveness and necessity. But doesn't anyone else feel that their just like buying replacement parts of varying qualities that are only temporary solutions to a problem, and they might not even do what the packaging promises? The whole machine, as it were, needs removed and replaced. Stop buying spare parts, America. Secondhand democracy.
Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:50 am
name

perfect:

http://dailydish.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451c45669e2016763deed64970b-550wi

how the hell do embed pictures here, anyway? i have no problem with videos, but the "img" buttons never work for me.

Last edited by name on Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:50 am
Scottie

T-Wrex wrote:
Limbs wrote:
Are you just not voting? Or Paul?

I like that she is going to give her delegates to Jill Stein. Jill Stein is by far the best candidate the Green's have run in a couple of decades.

She is 100x the person Ron Paul is.
Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:53 am
Limbs

Captiv8 wrote:
Did you misspell suffrage on purpose? Is it supposed to be a little jokey wordplay, like sufferage?

I suck at spelling fake words.
Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:28 am
name

Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:39 am
name

[img]http://dailydish.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451c45669e2016763deed64970b-550wi.[/img] ahhhh.
major technical difficulties. sorry.
Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:40 am
Limbs

phataccino wrote:
The other day I switched my affiliation from 'non-affiliated,' which I had been my whole life, to Republican in order to vote in my state's primary in May. I wanted to go home and bathe in bleach afterward. Anyway, not sure who I'll vote for in the presidential primary. I'll probably just leave it blank.

Vote for Santorum. So even if this election is already bought by the Repubs, I'd rather have the sincere nutcase over the bullshitting nutcase.
Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:27 pm
firefly

Do people here still believe in Obama?

Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:16 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

No one believes in anything anymore.

What would you have us do for the 2012 election?
Post Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:11 am
firefly

I know it's a difficult situation. I just find politics are not only a huge theatre piece but a gigantic waste of time. Expecting things to CHANGE now is really stupid in my opinion. I'd rather not vote at all then vote for the lesser of two evils. Or I'd rather vote for a "fringe candidate" for that matter but only if I actually believed in that person.

I think that the only real solution is to form our own society or to at least drastically re-structure our method of government. I think that time has shown us that we can't trust in government to run society. Voting for Obama is like signing a contract saying that you agree with his policies and will accept his decisions if re-elected. I've talked about this before on this forum but the only way to have a more just society is if we the people get more involved. Participatory government where the elected leaders are more like facilitators then decision makers. Where they act as public servents and not like our bosses.

Our democracy is a huge joke. Voting once every four years for a person to make all our decisions? We have to be way more involved in the decision making process. The proof is that the majority of people want things that our politicians don't give us and the majority of the population dislike most of what they do pass.
Post Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:21 am
Limbs

That is all fine and dandy but the system isn't going to change within the year. Come November we are going to have a choice. A shitty choice, but still a choice. Use every amount of voice we have. You sound counterproductive to me.

We are chipping away at marble. Not ice. You can't use a hair dryer.
Post Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:56 am
pedavis

Limbs wrote:
That is all fine and dandy but the system isn't going to change within the year. Come November we are going to have a choice. A shitty choice, but still a choice. Use every amount of voice we have. You sound counterproductive to me.

We are chipping away at marble. Not ice. You can't use a hair dryer.

agreed.

passively watching something so important just "happen" can be very detrimental. even if it is a joke system, it's our joke system.

and we can never let it fully get out of control, and i think voting helps with that. showing interest in something seemingly insignificant can have a big benefit if there are enough interested.
Post Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:00 pm
Mark in Minnesota

Firefly with the freeman/sovereign citizen rhetoric again. The American system of government doesn't work the way you're describing it as working.

Casting a ballot for the President--or even for the winning candidate--is not a contract of any kind. It doesn't forbid us from expressing dissent, nor does it cause us to become bound by any laws that would not otherwise bind us. Not only that, casting a ballot does not disqualify anyone from subsequent participation in direct action of any kind.

Direct democracy won't necessarily result in a better system of government than a representative democracy, either. The vast majority of things that government needs to do are complicated and cannot be done effectively without the input of experts. When those experts act in bad faith, they will have just as much power to deceive the public as they have to deceive representatives. We've seen this time and time again around referendum ballot initiatives in places like California. Liars with lots of money can still get to make the rules, they just have to use money to co-opt journalists and opinion-makers instead of public officials and their staffers.
Post Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:49 pm
mancabbage

dont know who to choose?

http://forum.davidicke.com/showthread.php?t=201658 you wll find the answers here,
Post Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:31 pm
firefly

Mark in Minnesota wrote:
It doesn't forbid us from expressing dissent, nor does it cause us to become bound by any laws that would not otherwise bind us

What good is "dissent" when you vote the guy in again, the guy who just made it legal to arrest people indefinitely? I never said that you're not "allowed to express dissent" but you are making a statement that you now trust in this person to make all the major decisions for you. I'm not trying to use freeman logic here, trust me, I'm talking literally, what is voting if not a statement that you want this person to run the country (which means make all the major decisions for you?)

Quote:

Direct democracy won't necessarily result in a better system of government than a representative democracy, either.

This is where I disagree. Since none of us have ever experienced direct democracy on a grand scale I don't know how you can be so sure of this. What we do know though is that most of the major decisions being made by government is incredibly unpopular and if we got to vote on these issues - all of them - as opposed to voting once every four years we wouldn't have most of these problems that we do now.

Quote:

The vast majority of things that government needs to do are complicated and cannot be done effectively without the input of experts.

Experts? Please. You mean the same experts that have been expertly running our countries the last 10 plus years??? The ones who passed the patriot act and invaded countries for profit with our tax money? You apologists better make up your mind, is the government incompetent or are they experts!?

Look, I'm not saying that running a country this big is easy, I just think that we all have to start taking more responsibility for our actions, which means educating ourselves and involving ourselves with running our own communities.
Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:46 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next