Search
Register
KONY 2012..a scam?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Asterax

FranktheP wrote:
FuseONE wrote:
could be off a bit, but if im not mistaken that's actually on the high side for a charity pulling in a lot of loot. for many of them, i think it's more like 10-20%.

"Charity Navigator for the National Kidney Foundation. You can search other nonprofits of interest at the web site: http://www.charitynavigator.org

Organizational Efficiency
Program Expenses 82.9%
Administrative Expenses 11.2%
Fundraising Expenses 5.8%
Fundraising Efficiency $0.15"

I believe it has to be at least 70% raised goes to help or the IRS looks into it.

My employer has more organizational efficiency than the National Kidney Foundation. Haha. Nice. Such a random example to use.
Post Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:12 am
FranktheP

Asterax wrote:
FranktheP wrote:
FuseONE wrote:
could be off a bit, but if im not mistaken that's actually on the high side for a charity pulling in a lot of loot. for many of them, i think it's more like 10-20%.

"Charity Navigator for the National Kidney Foundation. You can search other nonprofits of interest at the web site: http://www.charitynavigator.org

Organizational Efficiency
Program Expenses 82.9%
Administrative Expenses 11.2%
Fundraising Expenses 5.8%
Fundraising Efficiency $0.15"

I believe it has to be at least 70% raised goes to help or the IRS looks into it.

My employer has more organizational efficiency than the National Kidney Foundation. Haha. Nice. Such a random example to use.

First example that I found that explained what I ws looking for.
Post Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:45 am
spagucci-one

Read this. It might change your opinion on KONY
http://thedailywh.at/2012/03/07/on-kony-2012-2/
Post Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:49 am
Asterax

I've actively avoided watching this documentary but, I did go to the KONY 2012 site.

Images of celebrities and policymakers that say "Message Now" and links to their respective twitter handles = very creative.
Post Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:12 pm
desert penguin

I'm really not that interested in their financials. I would never consider donating to them in the first place. So it cost them 9 million to make a viral video. The video is an overwhelming success, so I don't see how any of their former or current supporters can be upset.

My issue is that they are convincing people that we need to militarize the region. Fuck that. There are a shit ton of situations across the world that the U.S. could intervene in for humanitarian reasons. We don't get involved in them because it's just not practical, and our efforts would likely just result in more blowback. There is no logic in propping up another oppressive dictator, whose army is guilty of many of the same things as Joseph Kony, just to go on another fucking manhunt.
Post Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:34 pm
Limbs

I don't think they are calling for major military involvement. The video says we sent 100 troops to train their military. If a country is cool with having us send some folks to aid them in a strictly training copacity to help people, I'm cool with that. That's a lot different than envading with all our resourses and putting more people in danger.

Maybe the video should have talked more about HOW our military can help people. What to say to our public officials. Stuff like that. How to not just make things worse.

Ultimately I guess I'm cool with the make Kony famous stuff. I just wish we didn't need some dumb slogan and a big bad villain to get people to pay attention.

Is there any evidence that this is getting people to do any research? Or are we just blindly retweeting to make our white guilt go away?
Post Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:17 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Attila The Hun is probably glad that Twitter wasn't around 1600 years ago.
Post Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:09 pm
outpatient

that narrator has a cult-leader vibe about him. the way he structured that whole video, filming himself and his kid, he comes off as a sketchy, narcissistic dweeb. I would bet good money that he retells his backpacking adventure stories to try and get laid.
Post Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:13 pm
desert penguin

Limbs wrote:

Is there any evidence that this is getting people to do any research? Or are we just blindly retweeting to make our white guilt go away?

I think it has generally inspired the people who regularly research news events to do as they usually do. I think it has inspired other people to do as they normally do in such situations as well. We all get uncomfortable in knowing that a man like Kony exists and is still getting away with such atrocities as we go about our daily lives. We all just have different methods of regaining our normal comfort level after learning that. Most people just need a cigarette. A little less will feel better after a good RT. A smaller majority will make a status update denigrating anyone too cowardly or heartless to reshare on their wall. An even smaller group will read one accompanying article or blog post and parrot that opinion rather pretentiously at social functions for a couple of weeks. The minority will research multiple sources and just be confused as fuck. And the super minority, Jesus, will assess the situation and make everything just as it should be.
Post Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:32 pm
Captiv8

Facebook is blowing up with all sorts of moral indignation at this Kony chap. As with just about any hot topic, especially that of a political nature, everyone is also suddenly an expert. But the most amazing thing of all is that true colors get revealed. So thanks for that, Kony.
Post Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:35 pm
Confidential

African voices respond to hyper-popular Kony 2012 viral campaign

some pretty good analysis here

http://boingboing.net/2012/03/08/african-voices-respond-to-hype.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&fb_source=message

" Award-winning Nigerian-American novelist and photographer Teju Cole published an inspired set of tweets today on sentimentality toward Africa by Americans. Ethan Zuckerman gathered them here , and Alexis Madrigal did the same here . "From Sachs to Kristof to Invisible Children to TED, the fastest growth industry in the US is the White Savior Industrial Complex," Cole writes. "The white savior supports brutal policies in the morning, founds charities in the afternoon, and receives awards in the evening." He is brilliant and you should be following him on Twitter , anyway."
Post Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:22 pm
Captiv8

^^^^^^

This. It's amazing, really. Everyone wants to allay the pain but never address the cause. Here's to every girl and guy that still believe that diamonds equal love.
Post Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:41 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Yep. That's exactly what I've been waiting for. And I'm glad they're addressing the old, tired narrative about "western white people coming in to save the poor black folk." I also like how she explains how she didn't even know what the video was about 5 minutes into watching it. I felt the same way. I have no idea why the video is 30 minutes long considering what their supposed goal is. All this being said, none of us would be talking about this without the "Kony 2012" thing and that's a headfuck in itself. It's a learning experience on multiple fronts.

Post Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:14 pm
mlanifesto

I was willing to give these people a marginal pass, as I assumed they live in a bubble of privilege and have no idea what epic shits they are.

Then I saw their shameful statistics manipulation. They know exactly what kinds of wankers they are, and are trying to hide it.

Quote:

Classic chart junk manipulation from Invisible Children #KONY2012 Compare the numbers on the left pie chart with the relative sizes… shameful information design!

http://carbonrich.org/post/18997761612/classic-chart-junk-manipulation-from-invisible

Peter Grossman 2012
or even Warren Anderson 2012...

Those fucks aren't even on the ICC's radar, also the US isn't even a signatory, surely a big issue that is easy to influence, when trying to prosecute people who commit crimes against humanity.
Post Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:19 am
Asterax

Sage Francis wrote:
All this being said, none of us would be talking about this without the "Kony 2012" thing and that's a headfuck in itself.

I'd measure Invisible Children's success based on whether folks are still discussing Kony 2012 and child soldiers a year from now.
Post Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:54 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next