Search
Register
*edit* I'm moving to Austin now. Any suggestions?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

mzehe916

Don't ever go to Gallup. Ever.
Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:30 am
poopsnack

Reading this thread inspired me to learn a little something about New Mexico. Here is what I got - 2 million people, and about 1 million of them are in Albuquerque and metro. It's a 121K sq miles, too. That is nearly 3 Ohio's. Fuckin Hell.

Oh, and there is a city called Elephant Butte, near a city called Truth or Consequences.
Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:11 am
name

poopsnack wrote:
Reading this thread inspired me to learn a little something about New Mexico. Here is what I got - 2 million people, and about 1 million of them are in Albuquerque and metro. It's a 121K sq miles, too. That is nearly 3 Ohio's. Fuckin Hell.

Oh, and there is a city called Elephant Butte, near a city called Truth or Consequences.

Truth or consequences is a surreal place. Hell, the whole state is. I lived in NM for 3 years. Part of me loved it. Part of me did not. I actually found abq to be the least interesting part of NM. I love the south of the state, near Las Cruces and Mesilla.

A central NM highway at 2 am is the darkest place you'll ever be.

'Land of enchantment' is right.
Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:04 am
Captiv8

New Mexico sounds badass. I really need to check that state out.
Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:42 am
ruffiano

I've been in Las Cruces since 2007. I've only been up to ABQ twice, so I couldn't tell you much about it. Lot of good eating down here in LC and the Mesilla Valley area, though.

Beautiful state, once you get into the desert stuff. It took me awhile to adjust.. never having been off the east coast until 2003 when I moved to AZ. The went from AZ to NM in 2007... until FOREVERRRR. or whenever.
Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:56 am
Flawed Logic

Location: Austin, TX - Albuquerque, NM - Kalamazoo, MI - Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

phataccino wrote:
The second most lost I've ever been in a vehicle was in Albuquerque.

Haha - This makes me wonder what your most lost time was.

The more we've been reading up about Albuquerque and NM the more excited we're getting. It's going to be a big change from the Midwest but I think that's a good thing. I can't wait to get me some great southwest food!

Now I just need to find a decent job down there.
Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:03 pm
spagucci-one

I just moved out of Albuquerque to Santa Fe. I lived in Albuquerque for 14 years. Like others have mentioned, you will want to find a place to live on the North Side of UNM campus area. The South Side is where all the undergrads live, and is what's called the Student Ghetto. We have all four seasons here which is suprsing to alot of people. This is because people think NM and automatically think desert. We are what you would call a mountain desert. Like Sage said, we have a good musc scene here and get a lot of bands traveling through. The best place to watch a show is the Launchpad. Breaking Bad is wrapped up filming, but there is always somthing being filmed. The Avengers just finished filming, and Lone Ranger is slated to start shooting soon. We have awesome cuisine called New Mexican, which is somewhat similar to Mexican. There are not any pro sports teams, but we have the AAA team for the Dodgers called the Isotopes(take from the Simpsons). Our UNM basketball team is not to shabby as well. I could go on and on, so feel free to ask questions, and I'll answer them for ya. BTW, you will be moving to area in the summer, so get ready for the DRY heat!
Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:18 pm
Flawed Logic

Location: Austin, TX - Albuquerque, NM - Kalamazoo, MI - Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

Thanks Spagucci-one! I think I can deal with the dry heat as long as it's not humid, but we'll see. I've never lived in a state that's not humid as hell during the summers. I can't wait to check out the Launchpad. It sounds like a cool place. It's going to be weird living in a state with no pro sports. That's a first for me but I'll definitely go check out the Isotopes. Do they sell Duff beer a there? haha

I appreciate the north side of UNM tip. A couple people have mentioned that now. From everything I've seen it looks like the VA Medical center is located in the south side of the city. Maybe a little bit of a daily commute isn't such a bad thing. I'm not so worried about finding a nice place to live. I'm more worried about finding a good paying job.
Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:48 pm
spagucci-one

The VA hospital is definitely in a fought part of town. I thought you meant UNM hospital. Try looking in Nob Hill for housing as well. It's closer to the VA hospital than north campus area. What is your trade? I could possibly help point you in the direction of some places that might be hiring.
Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:55 pm
Flawed Logic

That's good to know. My wife will have a few different tracks with her internship. She'll spend some time at the UNM Hospital, the VA Hospital and some time with the native American population (I forget the name of the center). She'll be all over the place. We hope to be located in a place somewhat central to all of that.

Besides my relentless pursuit of trying to make an income from my alternative/rock band and Flawed Logic I've worked in the financial sector for about ten years now. I've spent the last few years in Kalamazoo working at a local Credit Union. I've noticed there's a lot of Credit Unions down there and I've already spoke with a few. Nothing tangible yet though. It seems as if Albuquerque is more of a tech town than any other profession.
Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:17 pm
Flawed Logic

The time is growing near. My wife and I found a nice place to live (away from the international war zone as locals put it) and weíre getting everything ready to go to Albuquerque on June 10th. Itís crazy how fast the time has flown. Iím playing my last show this weekend with my band Sound the Silent. Itís a bummer since we just got everything going recently and recorded some new tunes but it is what it is. I lucked out and was able to finagle the Credit Union I work for to let me work from home in Albuquerque. Thatís some trust right there.

Thereís only one last thing I need to get hammered out. I need to find some people to make music with in ABQ. I canít set my drums up in the apartment weíre moving to and I donít want them to get dusty in their cases. If anyone knows of any bands or musicians in that area please drop me a line. Iíve been looking at Craigslist and other sites but nothing worthwhile has come up. Iíll probably just have to hit up the scene once I get out there but please let me know if you hear of or know anyone.
Post Wed May 16, 2012 3:57 pm
Flawed Logic

Hey everybody. I know it's been a while since I've posted on the forum (beyond random videos) but I find myself needing some input or advise from people who may have some. My wife and I have been living in ABQ NM for over half a year and we've enjoyed it. Just last week my wife got a job offer in Austin TX that we couldn't refuse. It's now time for us to relocate and start all over again. I've heard great things regarding Austin's music scene and it's opportunities for musicians.

Does anyone have any advice regarding safe places in Austin for my wife and I to start searching for places to live? Any info or knowledge of Austin would be gratefully appreciated before we make the move in the next few months.
Post Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:26 pm
Flawed Logic

**Sorry - double post**
Post Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:26 pm
anomaly
Loserface

Don't do any cash trasnactions for deermeat through Craigslist.
Post Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:21 pm
Flawed Logic

Good looking out Anomaly. I should probably cancel my pending order then.
Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:29 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next