Whoa...RIP Whitney Houston.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

AdamBomb

Whoa...RIP Whitney Houston.  Reply with quote  

http://www.tmz.com/2012/02/11/whitney-houston-dead/#.TzcTPvnnTWY

Quote:

Whitney Houston dead at 48.

Whitney Houston died this afternoon ... a rep for the singer told the Associated Press.

Houston won two Emmy Awards, six Grammy Awards, 30 Billboard Music Awards, 22 American Music Awards during her record-breaking career. Her album "Whitney" was the first female album to ever debut at #1 on the Billboard Charts. She has sold 200 million albums world wide.

Houston holds an Honorary Doctorate in Humanities from Grambling State University in Louisiana.

Houston had one child, Bobbi Kristina, with husband Bobby Brown. Houston and Brown were married from 1992-2007.

Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:19 pm
MCGF

fuck. R.I.P.

Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:35 pm
Mark in Minnesota

We would also have accepted, as thread title:
+ Whitney Houston-Steady Taking L's
+ Whitney Houston has taken her last L
+ Do you think it was drugs?
Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:09 pm
anomaly
Loserface

Sucks someone just lost their mother. Too early to call drugs, but regardless, drugs are heartless fucks and I hate them.
Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:42 pm
xGasPricesx

I really hate my Facebook right now, I'm realizing how many of my "friends" on there are really just heartless pieces of shit. I hope her family is able to make it through this tragedy.
Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:19 am
poopsnack

To quote Moby - "Any life lost to addiction is tragic, sad, and unnecessary, whether its a pop star in a hotel or a homeless guy under a bridge."
Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:33 am
AdamBomb

xGasPricesx wrote:
I really hate my Facebook right now, I'm realizing how many of my "friends" on there are really just heartless pieces of shit. I hope her family is able to make it through this tragedy.

I agree with this. Either everyone thinks they are Chelsea Lately or a Comedy Central roastmaster. Bullies.

This is a post I saw from a "friend" on facebook. I hate this shit.

What is wrong for having compassion for anyone and their family in a tragedy, regardless if they were famous or not? Are we that depraved that its just a joke? I'm not crying or wearing all black, but it is someone who had an impact on our culture and is very sad.

I'm an 80's baby...part of my growing up was the nostalgia of Whitney Houston. I remember my mom singing along to her stuff in the kitchen while she was making dinner. Lots of memories... She's more than just a snark off some shit you read off TMZ a year ago.

Also, I don't see why it is that if people have drug problems, most people just take a big shit on them. Its a sickness. Some people use, say "that was fun" and keep it moving. Others use expecting the same thing, but the shit grabs ahold and ruins their life. We've all done things that in retrospect were stupid and we were lucky to live and tell about it. Don't be smug and judgmental when someone did not.
Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:23 pm
Plum Puddin'

slow motion death.
Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:03 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

like buying roses.
Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:45 pm
Z-0

AdamBomb wrote:
Also, I don't see why it is that if people have drug problems, most people just take a big shit on them. Its a sickness. Some people use, say "that was fun" and keep it moving. Others use expecting the same thing, but the shit grabs ahold and ruins their life. We've all done things that in retrospect were stupid and we were lucky to live and tell about it. Don't be smug and judgmental when someone did not.

i dont know how the issue is treated in your area, but it is simply not an issue my state govt wants to touch, beyond rhetoric, regardless of the party in power. i spent much of last year lobbying my state parliament to increase funding to local D&A services, until my job as a project coordinator for a drug and alcohol youth arts outreach program got axed in november, along with the entire program itself. our state govt has spent a massive amount of money refurbishing the major hospital north of sydney...except for one department...the detox unit which has been falling apart from concrete cancer for the past 10 years, and which houses the psychology department for relapse prevention programs (kind of important). but that's okay, its located right at the back of the hospital where nobody but the junkies who use the methadone program, and the shameful addicts who are admitted to the ward, can see it. and hell, across the street from the hospital is a little private place called north side clinic. if you happen to have $25,000 upfront spare you can get treatment there. they'll even allow you to go down to the pub during your treatment.
Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:48 pm
Limbs

I've been known to belt out a Whitney jam here and there. Woman had talent. Not even 50? Real sad.
Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:31 pm
Mark in Minnesota

She slowly wasted her gifts for years, and joined a reality television production designed to flaunt the personal and professional destruction.

She's the Anna-Nicole Smith of great modern sopranos.

On some level, I was always going to start rooting against her once that's what she became.

Maybe I would have felt the same way about Billie Holiday if VH1 Celebreality had been a thing back then, but it wasn't and I don't.

Whitney's tragedy as a public figure didn't happen on Saturday, it ended on Saturday. Let the rehabilitation of her musical career begin, starting with a sharp increase on the price of her full iTunes catalog.

As a private figure, any human being's death should be mourned, and mourned with a degree of solemnity--but most of us never connected with her as a human being, only as a manicured and monetized product. And I'm just not sorry that a problem in the supply chain has caused this particular product to be pulled from the shelves.
Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:53 pm
Captiv8

Ya, there is some really wild and insensitive speculation going on. Facebook is quite egregious in this regard, which really makes me want to avoid it more and more. I was never a Whitney Houston fan in the sense that I listened to her music, but I recognized vocal range, power, and control when I hear it. People need to show some respect.
Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:57 pm
GrantherBirdly
D&D addict

Mark in Minnesota wrote:
She slowly wasted her gifts for years, and joined a reality television production designed to flaunt the personal and professional destruction.

She's the Anna-Nicole Smith of great modern sopranos.

On some level, I was always going to start rooting against her once that's what she became.

Maybe I would have felt the same way about Billie Holiday if VH1 Celebreality had been a thing back then, but it wasn't and I don't.

Whitney's tragedy as a public figure didn't happen on Saturday, it ended on Saturday. Let the rehabilitation of her musical career begin, starting with a sharp increase on the price of her full iTunes catalog.

As a private figure, any human being's death should be mourned, and mourned with a degree of solemnity--but most of us never connected with her as a human being, only as a manicured and monetized product. And I'm just not sorry that a problem in the supply chain has caused this particular product to be pulled from the shelves.

whoa. some of my friends posted unfunny and insensitive one-liners on facebook. but the above remarks definitely outdo them in sheer meanness and misunderstanding of what sympathy is.
Post Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:11 am
Mark in Minnesota

I don't know. It's not that I'm glad she's dead, by any means; it's just that worse things happen to better people all the time and we don't mourn those properly either. When someone falls so far so quickly, I feel like maudlin, even macabre bemusement at the end is a perfectly reasonable emotional response for someone to have.

The "omg, why people gotta be such jerks" reaction bothers me, because it seems overly simplistic in its approach. Some people had already started saying their goodbyes to the young, singular vocal talent she used to be, just like they had with Amy Winehouse, just like many people have to do every day for addicts amongst their circle of actual loved ones. For those people, the sudden outpouring of shock and grief at the end is bound to provoke a blasť response, at least occasionally. To dive on those responses as being mean or disrespectful and then walk away is a failure to acknowledge that they might have come from a place of honest pain and sadness.
Post Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:33 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next