Register
SOPA THREAD - Web blackout WEDNESDAY
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Bicycle

Sticking up for free speech by silencing your dissenters. I love it
Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:42 pm
Disharmony

The fact that facebook didn't blackout was actually a GOOD thing. I say this because it allowed a fast avenue of discussion about the topic. For the people in the know and the people who had no idea wat da soapie bills weresss.
Post Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:41 am
neveragainlikesheep

Bicycle wrote:
Sticking up for free speech by silencing your dissenters. I love it

Haha. Yeah, because DOS'ing commercial websites is the same as silencing dissent. Come on...
Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:00 pm
Bicycle

Its not exactly 'free and open' internet

From my perspective Anonymous's tactics seem to occupy a nice middleground between childishness and fascism. I dont know what thats supposed to accomplish
Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:48 pm
MCGF

Anonymous is the internet's way of protecting itself. I understand calling them childish, but how are they fascist?
Post Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:20 am
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Fascism (play /ˈfæʃɪzəm/) is a radical authoritarian nationalist political ideology.

Certainly sounds like a way to describe a internet DDOSing group. *eyeroll*

Actually not even a single word above applies to Anon. You can't even consider them radical. This thread shows their views are mostly in line with millions of other people.

Do you work for the DoD or RIAA or something Bicycle? lol
Post Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:29 am
empti

I think Bicycle's been butthurt by Channers before or something. lol
I kid.

But honestly, DDoSing is nothing more radical than the protestor who chains himself to the door of a business at a picket disallowing entry to employees and clientele. Sure, eventually the cops come and remove the dude from the door and access is restored but people are going to then talk about that one picket with the dude who chained himself to the door and had to be removed.

If they were permanently disallowing access to these websites then yes, maybe, call them fascist but honestly, why would they need to do that when they could have just sat back and let SOPA pass, it'd have done that work for them.
Post Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:03 am
Bicycle

"The hacking group released a document on file-sharing site Pastebin.com listing the websites they planned to attack along with the names of US Democratic Party leaders and MPAA employees and their families.

The details included property values, work and home phone numbers and addresses as well as the names, ages and schools of the member's children"

A bit more concerning to me than the other shit.

a two year investigation of a site that you know is primarily used for piracy isn't an attack against free speech

Ive had this argument with tech head friends plenty of times. The free speech and censorship talk always serves as a rationalization for why they feel entitled to free shit. It always leads to talk of fighting the evil entertainment industry and how artists with any amount of integrity should do it for the love and not for the money. This SOPA PIPA shit is no different

Theres some valid points being brought up but they're made by people who are idealogically against intellectual property and have done absolutely nothing about piracy except profit from it. I cant take that seriously. Ive looked at the bills and really cant imagine how any of the wording included in them would lead to the breaking of the internet. I can see why Google would be against it, cause the parts about advertising would definitely affect their profits

and 4.5 million facebook users is little more than fashion. Fighting the man is always fashionable. Doesn't matter if one of the biggest corporations in the world is telling you to do it
Post Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:01 pm
empti

Bicycle, no offense, but it sounds as if you're just arguing the other end of this discussion for the sake of balance. But it really sounds as if you're doing just what you're accusing others of doing in regards to this bill and the action taken against it; simply parroting without any real research or thoughts of your own.

You say you've read the bills but it seems as if you've not read the articles in the bill which were so broad and generalized that, yes, they would allow for senseless censorship of content solely based upon crazy claims of copywrite infringement? Do you know how the internet works? Do you know how the internet has been allowed to become what it is now? If SOPA passed in it's current state people could potentially catch a case simply for posting a video rant about whatever, if they happened to have someone's music playing on their iPod dock in the room which the video was recorded. The mere fact that ANY copy written material of ANY sort is present would be considered illegal.

Justin Bieber would have been arrested for covering those Usher songs over the original beats, the very same covers that got him discovered before he eventually blew up.

What would the world be without the Bieb?
I dare not imagine.

In all seriousness though it's more than apparent that the bill was flawed in so many ways, as evidenced in the fact that many of it's supporters pulled their names off the bill. All those silent on the bill came out against it, and prior to this they removed the DNS "blacklist" from the bill because they realized that they hadn't realized what effect it'd have on the internets as a whole.

And say what you will about Anon, and their tactics, but they get shit done and have folks running scared, folks who usually sit high atop their pedestals, folks who's biggest concern being how they can make more money off the hard work of others.

Oh, and as far as Doxing is concerned. When a cop abuses his power on citizens whom he has every "Dox" on available at the click of a mouse, why can't it go both ways? This keeps folks in check, folks who feel they can't be checked. You don't see them doxing random people who cut in front of them at the grocery store, do you? Nah, but if you're cop who indiscriminately pepper sprays of a slew of peaceful protesters,a judge who beats your daughter relentlessly simply for downloading video games or an executive financially raping your employees and clientele for a mediocre product whilst supporting the demise of the internet because you failed to adapt with the ever changing times, then you're probably going to get Doxed.

TL;DR You should probably read more and focus less on attacking anonymous in a thread a thats about SOPA, and not a fringe group that's against it. It's like folks hating on muslim ideology simply because they don't agree with the way some folks interpret it, or because they disagree with Al Qaeda's tactics.
Post Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:27 pm
futuristxen

I like Anon. They've got Goldman Sachs, we've got Anonymous.
Post Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:00 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3