Search
Register
Why is Dennis Kucinich not our president yet?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Why is Dennis Kucinich not our president yet?  Reply with quote  

http://kucinich.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=275443

Quote:

Kucinich Announces ‘Game Changing’ Constitutional Amendment to Publicly Finance Federal Elections

Congressman Kucinich

Washington, Jan 19 -

On the eve of the second anniversary of the Supreme Court ruling known as Citizens United, which opened the floodgate of unlimited, shadowy corporate spending in public elections, Congressman Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) has introduced H. J. Res. 100, a constitutional amendment to rescue American democracy from corporate money’s corrupting influence.

“Because of the decision by the Supreme Court majority in the Citizens United case, more money was spent on campaigns in the 2010 election than has ever been spent in a mid-term election.

“Because of the Citizens United case, more money will be spent in the 2012 elections than has ever been spent in an election in the history of our country.

“Because of the Citizens United case, American democracy has been put up on the auction block,” said Kucinich.

H.J. Res.100 would require that all federal campaigns –all campaigns for President, Vice-President, Senator and Representative – be financed exclusively with public funds and prohibit any expenditures from any other source, including the candidate. H. J. Res. 100 would also prohibit any expenditures in support of, or in opposition to, any federal candidate, so that interest groups will not be able to influence elections. It will maintain the First Amendment “freedom of the press” and preserve the traditional role that the media have played in our electoral process.

“We must rescue American democracy from unlimited corporate money. This is the most fundamental issue facing the future of our nation. With corporate, private financing we have officials working for the interest of corporations. With public financing we have officials working for the public. And public financing will actually save taxpayers’ money, by eliminating any incentive of public officials to reward campaign contributors with taxpayer subsidies.

“We must eliminate the influence of money on our elections and on our policy-making. We must eliminate the influence of special interests on our elections and on our legislation. We must eliminate the influence of multi-national corporations and foreign corporations on the government of our country. We cannot wait. We must fight for government of the people, by the people, for the people,” said Kucinich.

He's the only real candidate I've seen in 12 years. I'm voting for him. I can't, in good conscience, vote for any of these other lying, conniving, scumbag, poor excuse for humans, let alone leaders of the free world. Why have we not made him our president? He backs his word with his vote.

LOOK AT THIS MOTHERFUCKING PLATFORM

On December 11, 2006 in a speech delivered at Cleveland City Hall, Kucinich announced he would seek the nomination of the Democratic Party for President in 2008. His platform[64] for 2008 included:

Creating a single-payer not-for-profit system of universal health care that provides full coverage for all Americans by passage of the United States National Health Care Act.
    The immediate, phased withdrawal of all U.S. forces from Iraq; replacing them with an international security force.
    Guaranteed quality education for all; including free pre-kindergarten and college for all who want it.
    Immediate withdrawal from the World Trade Organization (WTO) and North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).
    Immediate repeal of the USA PATRIOT Act.
    Fostering a world of international cooperation.
    Abolishing the death penalty.
    Environmental renewal and clean energy.
    Creating a moratorium on Genetically Modified Organism (GMO).
    Implementation of H.R. 676, which integrates traditional medicine with complementary and alternative medicine (CAM).
    Ban offshore drilling.
    Halt all Biochemical Aerial Spraying of Pesticides and other toxins.
    Preventing the privatization of social security.
    Providing full social security benefits at age 65.
    Creating a cabinet-level "Department of Peace"
    Ratifying the ABM Treaty and the Kyoto Protocol.
    Introducing reforms to bring about instant-runoff voting.
    Protecting a woman's "right to choose" while decreasing the number of abortions performed in the U.S.
    Lowering the voting age to 16
    Ending the War on Drugs.
    Legalizing same-sex marriage.
    Strongly promoting workers' rights.
    Ending the H-1B and L-1 visa Programs
    Restoring rural communities and family farms.
    Strengthening gun control.
    Legalizing medicinal marijuana and decriminalizing non-medical possession.
Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:52 pm
Jesse Custer

I'm sure he believes in what he's saying but people who have no chance of winning have the liberty of putting forth a lot of impractical ideas.
Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:54 am
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Jesse Custer wrote:
I'm sure he believes in what he's saying but people who have no chance of winning have the liberty of putting forth a lot of impractical ideas.

See, this is more of a rhetorical thread. Kucinich isn't running, he's a dem like Obama. He did run in 2004 and 2008 though.

His ideas are far less impractical than Ron Paul, who is in 2nd place for the GOP candidate right now. Check the Ron Paul thread if you think impractical ideas don't have a chance at winning. Or look up Rick Perry, or Rick Santorum, Or Michelle Bachmann. All crazy as fuck with terrible ideas, all managed to be in the lead at some point in this shitfest so far.

That wasn't really the point though. The point was, this guy has the best platform out of anyone and he sticks to his word when voting. Just the second part of that statement alone puts him in front of everyone, including Obama, for me.

It's a pipe dream, as he will never garner support from PACs with his potentially threatening ideas towards rich companies. And thus, we've come full circle to the bill he proposed, which is linked in this thread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_action_committee

Not sure if you know about PACs across the pond. Basically these douches in congress passed a bill that allows giant corporations to fund whatever candidate they want as long as they're part of these committees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_political_action_committees

All the big name, douchey companies that you'd find with shit ratings on knowmore.org. They buy our president now.

America (and by proxy, you and the rest of the world) is fucked.
Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:36 am
Limbs

Kucinich will always get my vote. It is a shame the system is set up to keep people with his views on the outside.

Making sure sick people get medicine is a radical idea? We are all fucked.
Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:31 pm
mlanifesto

He would get my vote if I had one.

Reasons he won't win:
He is short, funny looking, has an odd voice. He doesn't (exclusively) talk in talking points, his hot wife makes people jealous, his name ends in ich.
People think his ideas are radical because they are told by the corporate media that they are, when in fact they are around a mainstream center left EU (even British) politicians level of ideas.
Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:21 pm
Hellen Earth
could be a girl. could be a guy.

While it doesn't bother me, I'm sure the UFO stuff doesn't really help his electability.
Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:07 pm
Captiv8

All of his platform points are the reasons he won't be elected. There is too much money to be lost in letting someone like Kucinich into the White House. I do think it's interesting to note the relatively of liberal and conservative postions from country to country.
Post Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:38 pm

Jump to: