Register
Got in to a car accident today hit a pedestrian in crosswalk
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

anomaly
Loserface

Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:47 pm
tommi teardrop

I could really do without all of the gerbil references. The homophobia implied in those comments is completely unnecessary.
Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:45 pm
Confidential

breakreep wrote:
I caused--to feel comfortable driving any significant distance on a regular basis. I actively avoid it, and have grown over the years to really dislike the idea of humans driving cars.

Same here. My good friend lost her brother this week in an alcohol related accident. I was there the next day to see the blood and oil mixture on the asphalt and to witness his grieving family. Today I'm trying to organize food for the funeral. Pretty heavy stuff. Makes me reflect on all the times I got behind the wheel intoxicated, walked away from accidents that I shouldn't have walked away from. I'm very grateful that I never killed someone or myself.

A friend of mine was in an accident a few years back where the other motorist was killed. Not alcohol related. There were no serous legal consequences as afr as I know but it shook him up pretty bad. I got no advice insurance-wise, but just be grateful you didn't seriously injure someone and be careful.
Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:28 pm
desert penguin

I really don't understand where Jesse, Sage and the rest of the douches are coming from.

I mean, I understand that language is important, but we are so far removed from the situation that the consequences of poor word choice really do not exist. It would be one thing if he got right out of his car and started telling the woman how he couldn't believe this had happened to him. In that case, if we were there we could get all douchey and be very proud of ourselves. But we weren't there, and as far as we know nothing like that came out of his mouth at the scene.

This is an internet forum where someone created a topic for legal advice, not a confessional for the Sacrament of Penance. I don't think the OP needs forgiveness from Pastor Douche and his disciples.
Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:00 pm
Confidential

dp

Last edited by Confidential on Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:32 pm
Confidential

I think I can help clarify. It was Op's use of the passive voice which, consciously or not, is a lingustic tool that effectively displaces responsibility from the actor. Saying for example, "she was hit by my car" constructs the car as the autonomous agent in the scenario. As opposed to "I hit her with my car." In the second statement, the active agent is the driver, not the car itself, thus responsibility is his. It may seem petty, and to be fair, OP acknowledged his fault in the thread title and various points of the post. So, it may be the so-called douche's annoyance at the subtle avoidance of responsibility through use of the passive voice as a blame-shifting tactic, as opposed to an active denial of responsibility on his part (i.e. "it was her fault for walking there.")

If it helps you understand to think about it in another un-related scenario, here is further explanation of the passive voice at play in other scenarios:

We find an overabundance of the passive voice in sentences created by self-protective business interests, magniloquent educators, and bombastic military writers (who must get weary of this accusation), who use the passive voice to avoid responsibility for actions taken. Thus "Cigarette ads were designed to appeal especially to children" places the burden on the ads as opposed to "We designed the cigarette ads to appeal especially to children," in which "we" accepts responsibility. At a White House press briefing we might hear that "The President was advised that certain members of Congress were being audited" rather than "The Head of the Internal Revenue service advised the President that her agency was auditing certain members of Congress" because the passive construction avoids responsibility for advising and for auditing. One further caution about the passive voice: we should not mix active and passive constructions in the same sentence: "The executive committee approved the new policy, and the calendar for next year's meetings was revised" should be recast as "The executive committee approved the new policy and revised the calendar for next year's meeting."

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/passive.htm
Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:33 pm
Bring that Beat Back

Sorry I have to ask what's on the forum's collective mind...did you rape her?

If he doesn't respond in a short amount of time we can make assumptions.

j/k

sfrforum foreva
Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:28 pm
Disharmony

Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:35 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:33 am
ROTTY

desert penguin wrote:
I really don't understand where Jesse, Sage and the rest of the douches are coming from.

I mean, I understand that language is important, but we are so far removed from the situation that the consequences of poor word choice really do not exist. It would be one thing if he got right out of his car and started telling the woman how he couldn't believe this had happened to him. In that case, if we were there we could get all douchey and be very proud of ourselves. But we weren't there, and as far as we know nothing like that came out of his mouth at the scene.

This is an internet forum where someone created a topic for legal advice, not a confessional for the Sacrament of Penance. I don't think the OP needs forgiveness from Pastor Douche and his disciples.

He's convinced me. Give me my dollar back.
Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:16 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Desert Penguin,

Sorry you feel that it's so douchey. Jesse pointed out stuff that I also took notice of. I didn't say anything about it at first, but once Jesse did, and as people dissed him for it, I felt it was probably best for me to raise my hand and say "me too" rather than spare myself from whatever d-bag judgment awaits me. From you and others.

If all Nemonic is looking for is legal advice (as someone else suggested,) then I'd have to say that it's a really bad idea to post a full-on confession online. A confession stating zero remorse WHILE explaining that he didn't even see a person crossing the street until he hit them. I'm no legal expert, but I pretend I am while watching court TV. This is my indirect way of telling the author of this thread to be careful of such things.

Signed,
Douche Baggins
Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:58 am
Nemonic7

Re: Got in to a car accident today hit a pedestrian in cross  Reply with quote  

Jesse wrote:
Few minor touch-ups, free of charge.

Nemonic7 wrote:
I hit someone with my car today. I was driving tonight and making a left turn and accidentally hit a woman crossing the cross walk. I didn't see her. I hit her with the left front side of my car and she fell to the ground on the cross walk but thankfully she was able to standup on her own and walk over to a bench on the sidewalk.

She complained of some pain in her leg but was able to walk with a little help to the ambulance. She looked like she was young, in her late 20's possibly early 30's.

This is the first time I have done this. I rarely ever have accidents. I've only had 2 accidents (car on car) since I started driving just over 10 years ago and those accidents were very minor.

Accidents do happen, and I'm not trying to paint you as a villain, but take responsibility. You fire a hundred guns every time you drive a car, don't reframe the time someone gets tagged as something that just happened, especially not something that just happened to YOU.

Why would I have to replace "I got in to a car accident today" for "I hit someone with my car today." when not only in the title but also in the very next sentence I say: "I was driving tonight and making a left turn and accidentally hit a woman crossing the cross walk."?

How am I not taking responsibility by saying that she was hit with a certain part of the car instead of saying that I hit her with a certain part of the car? The car couldn't have hit her on it's own and I had already acknowledged that I was the one driving the car. The reason I pointed out what part of the car I hit her with is because I kind of assumed at the time that hitting her with the side of my car was less severe than hitting her with the middle front of the car. I guessed that was important to know in gauging the level of lawsuit I might be looking at.

I did say that this is "the first time this has happened to me" but even though I do take responsibility it was still an accident and that kind of makes me feel like I was also victim in some part too. In the sense of the aftermath of the situation where I'd possibly be facing a lawsuit. When I said this has never happened to me I was talking about the situation in which I might be facing a lawsuit. I have never been in that situation before. Which was the whole point of the post. Of course I'm sorry I hit the woman and I did leave out how I showed that remorse which was asking her constantly how she was at the time and what parts of her hurt and saying sorry many times but I made this post to give an objective view of the injury of the women to gauge how bad a lawsuit I might be looking at. It's also the first time I'm filing a claim with my car insurance.

I'm not sure what "full on confession" Sage is talking about. Is there anything in what I said that wasn't needed in assessing how bad of a lawsuit I might be looking at? or how bad the situation would affect my insurance?
Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:36 pm
tommi teardrop

I hope you learned your lesson about writing in the passive voice when describing a situation in which you basically shot an innocent woman.

And then, rather than bare your soul and plead for forgiveness, you were just worried about your legal problems.

Not on our watch, bro. If you agree to never drive a car again, we will consider letting this whole incident slide.
Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:26 pm
tommi teardrop

And we haven't even addressed the possibility that she may have been pregnant and that you may have caused a miscarriage or injury to the fetus(es).

I hesitated to bring this up because I didn't want to imply that women were just baby making machines. But I realize that it may come across that way and if Jesse has any ideas of how I can avoid this behavior in the future, I would be willing to pay for a few touch ups.
Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:40 pm
anomaly
Loserface

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:24 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next