Search
Register
The Hobby Thread
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Captiv8

The closest thing I have to a hobby besides video games is reading. I don't have much time during the semester to read fiction, though I usually end up devoting around 30 minutes every night before bed to a novel. After that, I really enjoy shopping in thrift stores. That's not really a hobby per se, but I do enjoy it and find it exciting. Just last week I found a vintage Penguin and a vintage Le Tigre polo. I'm seriously considering learning how to sew just so I can tailor my own clothes as well. That seems more useful than hobby-esque. I also enjoy cooking, but I'm not really of the Alias caliber.
Post Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:21 am
anomaly
Loserface

Neuro wrote:
i keep reading this as The Hobbit Thread

Yeah, that reading can be a real bitch. Maybe moer redding could be your new hobbit?
Post Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:38 am
mancabbage

Neuro wrote:
cabbage you ever see the movie 127 Hours?

yeah man great film, really pretty
Post Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:50 pm
Mikal kHill

Custom painting and refurbishing nintendos.

Post Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:54 am
Captiv8

You just made Nintendo a little more awesome.
Post Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:53 am
anomaly
Loserface

very cool, but can you fix it where i don't have to blow on the cartridge for 5 mins to get flashing red light to stop? I want to get my Duck Hunt on.

Also, opening them up like that voids your warranty.
Post Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:02 pm
scrappy

mancabbage wrote:

Awesome picture. Where is this? How long have you been climbing?
I don't post here very often, but...
I just started climbing about 3 months ago and I can definitely understand the obsession. The weather kind of sucks right now and I haven't been able to get outside much, so I've been primarily doing gym climbing. It doesn't compare to outdoors, but at least I can work on building up strength over the winter.
This was on my very first climb.

I moved to New York about 6 months ago and I've been doing a lot of hiking, exploring the Catskills. I'm looking forward to doing some backpacking this year.

And I also fill my time with knitting, sewing, all that crafty stuff, motorcycle riding (although I sold my Harley before I moved, so I'm currently without a bike), kickboxing, etc.
Post Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:43 pm
anomaly
Loserface

I've done a lot of crazy stuff in my time, but the images above involving rock climbing make my butt pucker up.

Props to you guys/girls for doing that.
I couldn't.
Post Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:12 pm
crash

Location: the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption

anom, thanks for the links!

i'm loving these climbing pictures... post some more.

buildering:

photographing:
Post Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:02 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Mikal kHill wrote:
Custom painting and refurbishing nintendos.

where do you get all the nintendos, aren they hard to find?

can you make a nintendo unit with all the games built in/ installed?
Post Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:22 pm
Haraway

Szechwan wrote:

Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking? I'd be interested in hearing your take on the Attawapiskat crisis going on in Canada right now. Pretty hot topic nationally, and right up your ally by the sounds of it.

I am from Aberdeen, Scotland. I got interested in the geographically area as our anthropology department has quite a few Canadians as lecturers and has a department of research in Anthropology of North and its quite a delightful change from all the PNG you seem to get.

Attawapiskat crisis in my viewpoint is the effects of not having a place in the world. With governmental policy, land claim and of course natural resource mining many Attawapiskat have had their ties cut which defined their identity as individuals and as a group. Living the way there are while can be seen as Canadian institutions not helping first nation communities in reaching basic human needs which a lot of people will side with you can also see it as a way of the Attawapiskat reinforcing their identify by refusing to enter a more 'westernised' (I hate that term) cosmology and lifestyle choice.

This is a really simple view, I could go on and expand but I would take up numerous pages and bore you all to death.
Post Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:32 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

kHill,
To this DAY...this very fucking DAY...I still take on the painstaking task of trying to get my Nintendo games to load without the blinking light happening. Nudging the game ever so slightly to the left or the right. Blowing in the cartridge...doing every trick possible to get the games to work. And I have sworn that if I ever meet the designer...the person who decided that this was the best way to load games into a system...when I meet that fella, he's going to get slapped the fuck up! haha. I hate that person. If you refurbish NES systems in a way that makes them work flawlessly, then you're my personal hero. I should learn to do this officially rather than just doing the same old tricks I did as a kid. Time to grow up.
Post Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:49 pm
mancabbage

scrappy wrote:
mancabbage wrote:
pic

Awesome picture. Where is this? How long have you been climbing?
I don't post here very often, but...
I just started climbing about 3 months ago and I can definitely understand the obsession. The weather kind of sucks right now and I haven't been able to get outside much, so I've been primarily doing gym climbing. It doesn't compare to outdoors, but at least I can work on building up strength over the winter.
This was on my very first climb.

I moved to New York about 6 months ago and I've been doing a lot of hiking, exploring the Catskills. I'm looking forward to doing some backpacking this year.

And I also fill my time with knitting, sewing, all that crafty stuff, motorcycle riding (although I sold my Harley before I moved, so I'm currently without a bike), kickboxing, etc.

Been climbing just over 3 years now... was addicted since day one pretty much.. Living in London I don't get outside all that often, the weather in england is either overcast, rain or overcast with spots of rain.....So I climb in the gym loads then try and get out to spain twice a year.

That pic is in El Chorro, southern spain.

same route diff angle, the cave that pic is called poema de roca, it has loads of really overhanging stuff, i love it.. going back in april to try some new lines i didnt get on last time.

If you ever get to go there I can't recommend it enough, amazing climbing area, cheap as hell - tons of stuff across all the grades. Even if you didn't climb they have the camino del rey and gorge, its really cut off from everything, vultures flying about, no humans anywhere, feels like a western.. i love it there.

kill the music before you press play
</object>

i need to get on some of this buildering shit, you use a bouldering matt for that crash? I gotta invest in one of those
Post Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:08 pm
Dan Shay

Sage Francis wrote:
kHill,
To this DAY...this very fucking DAY...I still take on the painstaking task of trying to get my Nintendo games to load without the blinking light happening. Nudging the game ever so slightly to the left or the right. Blowing in the cartridge...doing every trick possible to get the games to work. And I have sworn that if I ever meet the designer...the person who decided that this was the best way to load games into a system...when I meet that fella, he's going to get slapped the fuck up! haha. I hate that person. If you refurbish NES systems in a way that makes them work flawlessly, then you're my personal hero. I should learn to do this officially rather than just doing the same old tricks I did as a kid. Time to grow up.

Blowing in the cartridge would provide enough condensation to create some electrical continuity and clean a little bit of the tarnished contacts to provide a quick fix for the first few times one attempts this. Unfortunately it also causes catastrophic failure after that condensation rusts out the contacts.

Erasures rubbed on the game contacts helps, contact cleaner sprayed into the box's contacts may also help, but there's no getting around the lack of gold plating in the 72 pin Low Insertion Force connector, those systems were born to start failing after 4-5 years.

That connector is Edgemount, it's a tight fit but there is no soldering required to replace it. The Part Number is 83-3785.

http://www.newark.com/mcm/83-3785/nintendo-type-72-pin-connector/dp/23C6180
Post Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:18 pm
anomaly
Loserface

^ heh, thisfuckinguyrightheeeeah!
Post Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:13 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next