Search
Register
The Hobby Thread
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Alias@anticon.com

Cooking.

pan-fried tofu, quinoa and fresh greens with fresh ginger-carrot dressing.

Chicken strips and hand cut fries with honey mustard sauce, all from scratch. I even breaded the chicken with bread crumbs from a loaf of bread I made.

homemade queso fresco after being freed from cheesecloth.

carne asada tacos (with aforementioned queso fresco I made). I like mine with shredded cabbage, cilantro, queso fresco and a squeeze of lime.

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:20 pm
crash

Location: the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption

I do a lot of biking, urban exploration, and buildering (urban climbing). I also love graffiti, though I havenít done much of it myself. I take a lot of pictures too, and often those five hobbies end up being part of the same adventure. I spent this Saturday biking around DC, hopping fences and walking the railroad tracks, climbing a few buildings and checking out some abandoned warehouses. They were all places Iíd been before but there was a bunch of new graffiti I wanted to flick. At the end of the day I climbed up one of the tallest buildings in DC (which is to say, not very tall) to watch the sunset.

I also enjoy camping, hiking, or just walking in the woods. I just got into backpacking last year and I am totally addicted. As much as I enjoy exploring the gritty underbelly of the city, nothing beats hiking through the mountains with everything you need on your back, waking up with the sunrise and sipping whiskey by the fire at night while you grill up some fish (or more often, crayfish) pulled fresh from the stream bubbling a few yards from where youíre sitting. To me thatís heaven. In the woods I feel no anxiety, Iím blessed with seemingly boundless energy, and even pain seems to have less of an effect than it should.

Since I canít always find time (or a partner) to escape to the mountains, I spend a good deal of time exploring stuff closer to home. I find a lot of stuff just by looking around Google Earth. Last year I bought a 15 lb. inflatable raft that I can strap to the back of my bike and took a day to explore an abandoned islands in the Potomac. I got a few more Islands I plan to check out this summer.

Anyone whoís a regular here knows Iím sort of obsessed with all things Middle East. I read news and blogs obsessively and my bookshelf probably has a wider selection on the region than your local Barnes and Noble. Not to say Iíve read all of them though, I have a problem with ordering books at about twice the rate I can actually finish them.

I love cooking (and obviously eating), especially southeast Asian cuisine. Generally the more exotic, authentic, and bizarre the better. Right now Iím on a Sichuan kick. I just got a Sichuan cookbook and Iíve been trying my hand at getting that perfect balance of oily hot pepper and the numbing coolness of the Sichuan peppercorn. This Sunday I made Bang Bang Chicken, Fish Fragrant Pork, and Cucumber Salad. Only the chicken turned out to my liking but Iíve got plenty more cold weather to work out the kinks. Once spring arrives I wonít be able to justify staying inside when I could be out exploring.

edit: I forgot one thing. I love maps. I could look at maps all day. I use Google Earth and MS paint (I know that's pretty noobish) to custom make trail maps every time I go backpacking. By the time I'm done making the map and planning the route I've usually got it memorized, but it's good to have a back up. I also invented a game, I call it the Google Earth game. Zoom all the way out on Google Earth. Deactivate all the layers (borders, names, etc), then close your eyes and spin the globe around a bit, stop and zoom in all the way with your eyes closed. Open your eyes, right it to north, slowly zoom out and see how fast you can guess where you are. Playing this game requires a bit of patience because more than half the time you end up in the middle of the ocean, which is no fun. If you can convince someone else to play with you, you can take turns zooming in on cool locations which makes it a lot more fun, but I haven't had much luck getting anyone to join me. /nerd

some pics:

graff from saturday. this piece is 17 years old, which is a pretty rare find in a city that gets buffed as hard as dc.

sunset from the rooftop (this shot is from the summer, i forgot my tripod on saturday so i didn't bother taking any pics)

crayfish soup with whittled flatware because i forgot to bring spoons.

bike + boat:

the island before me

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:24 pm
anomaly
Loserface

Alias@anticon.com wrote:
Cooking.

pan-fried tofu, quinoa and fresh greens with fresh ginger-carrot dressing.

What the hell are you NOT good at? Breading made w/ bread you made? That's a level of cooking I'm just not ready to commit to.
Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:43 pm
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

I fill my free time with reading, writing, thinking, studying, and other things that make most people think I'm boring.

Once upon a time I watched movies, played video games, and listened to music. Then my house got robbed. The thieves were nice enough to be illiterate enough not to steal anything made of paper, though, so I can still do all those boring things.

I also play the drums. That's probably the only thing I do these days that generates interest among guests or acquaintances that I met in some place other than an upper-level college course.
Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:52 pm
Prontoid

I'll second the dehydrator.......apart from jerky making dryed mango is a favourite of mine, also good for making food for camping trips etc....
Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:01 pm
anomaly
Loserface

I have a dehydrator and have made some pretty good batches of jerky. You have to use lean beef to avoid having nasty greasy stuff in the end. Because of that, it can get expensive, so I don't bust out the dehydrator a lot. That Dr Pepper jerky is a favorite of mine. Use the Dublin Dr Pepper w real sugar and it's even better. Yum
Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:43 pm
anomaly
Loserface

Crash, where do you live? I actually am a mapmaker (not quite a cartographer yet) and a geographic information systems nerd. You ever need a map, hit me up. It pays the bills and I actually practice on my time off to keep the skills sharp
Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:49 pm
crash

Location: the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption

i live in dc, but most of the maps i make for camping are in VA, WV, and NY.

i appreciate the offer but i really enjoy making the maps myself. they're nothing fancy, i just take screenshots of the USGS overlay on google earth and stitch them together, then use ms paint to draw in trails, campsites, and other info that's available online, but that's really all i need.

are the topographical resources that are better than the smallest scale USGS maps?
Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:54 am
anomaly
Loserface

This is the stripped down free version of what I use. ESRI has tons of free basemaps to use. I'd look for topographical data in those basemaps.
http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcreader/download.html

Lots of good free data here
http://datagateway.nrcs.usda.gov/GDGOrder.aspx
Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:57 pm
Limbs

Lately it has been forcing myself to do things I'm uncomfortable with. Right now I am on some talk to strangers/meet new people kick. It's very surprisingly going swimmingly. And cheap!
Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:14 pm
zagadka
DARK PAST HAVER

Luckily, my job lets me do a lot of the hands-on, creative junk I like to do. The only downside is when I get home I just feel like plopping in front of the TV and doing nothing.

I collect perfume. Namely, just Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab. I have well over 100 different scents. Its weird. I never wanted to collect anything before.

Hmm. I really love Chinese Medicine and acupuncture. I wish I could moonlight as an acupuncturist/ herbalist. I read a lot of books about Chinese medicine and it has influenced the way I cook a lot- 5 flavors of deliciousness.

If I had a house and land, I'd probably collect homeless animals non-hoarder style. I'd love to have several big rabbits hopping around my house. Fat ones with dewlaps that get wet when they eat. Ones with feet so big you could put shoes on them.

wabbits.

I'm also in the middle of planning a wedding reception that won't suck balls. That takes up a lot of time.
Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:06 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

i keep reading this as The Hobbit Thread
Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:53 pm
mancabbage

I like to travel places and climb rocks, hardly ever drink anymore, way too obsessed with the climbing.

If i aint climbing rocks or working im listening to records or cooking with the lady. I do video interviews with photojournalists for a living (mostly, sometimes more corporate stuff), i love the job and the work but it doesn't pay that great.......at all, 28 now so will probably have to find something else soon that i dont enjoy that pays well.. but not sure what, I've done office jobs for time and know i cant last long without the urge to stand up on my spinny chair, rip my shirt off, paint my nipples, do a big twist with my cock out and piss everywhere like a rotating water feature. Its just one of those things. I ain't panicing though, whats the point
Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:21 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

cabbage you ever see the movie 127 Hours?
Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:27 pm
phataccino

Cooking, gardening, snowshoeing, a little golf.
Post Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:04 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next