Search
Register
End-of-Year lists & the future of music
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

vintge
is vintge vince? vince vintge vincge?

i haven't purchased an album in a store for years, sadly enough.
Post Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:44 pm
Bicycle

Jesse wrote:
I would like to start with asking bicycle who are some of his favourite camera mans!

Preferably concentrating on those who have gained exposure through free off-the-floor band videos.

Not really sure what the point of your question is. Seems like youre just taking issue with my word choices

You go to some shitty club somewhere and theirs a dozen dickheads with cameras pushing you outa the way to get a shot. There is an abundant supply of people who like to do these things. Might as well put them to good use

your options are to either put up with shitty cell phone videos that irritate xgaspricesx or put in an effort to make better videos
Post Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:22 pm
anomaly
Loserface

i've never been to a show where a dozen dickheads are holding their phones up. what kind of shows you going to?
Post Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:14 pm
CaptainFantasy

I have never bought music other than physical copy stuff. I've got thousands of CDs. I do have an ipod for the gym but if's full of stuff I ripped off CDs. Other than listening to that on shuffle at the gym I'm a fan of a collection of songs as an album and not just whatever randomly comes up next. I know I can do this with digital stuff too but I like putting a CD on and looking at the artwork, reading liner notes and holding a product in my hand. That being said with actual stores becoming more rare I do purchase most of my music online from artists and labels themselves. I couldn't tell you the last time I bought an album from a music store. It's sad cause as a child I loved browsing through music and buying/discovering new stuff for random reasons. What I do like about shopping from labels artists direct is, correct me if I'm wrong, more money goes to the people making and releasing the music and not to a middle man. Plus, it's most often the best value too. It scares me that some day I will have no option other than buying mp3s online. They don't sound as good either...there's a random thought that I forgot to work in.
Post Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:27 pm
Bicycle

Im talkin about photographers at bars and stuff

the point is that people have cameras and nothing to do with them. and people watch shitty cell phone videos. You dont even need a camera person. Just work out a deal with another band you're playing with like i'll tape you if you tape me and then we will look like we give a shit about our presentation and people wont have to judge our performance based on shitty cell phone videos because we have provided them with a better alternative

sage, you say "Personally, I want to continue pressing physical product, and I intend on doing just that, but at what cost?"

You started off pressing up CD-Rs with photocopied covers. Is that something you could see yourself going back to as the demand for a physical product dies out? Or would something like that be too costly and time consuming? What about handling all of the physical sales during the pre-sales phase?
Post Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:42 pm
xGasPricesx

anomaly wrote:
i've never been to a show where a dozen dickheads are holding their phones up. what kind of shows you going to?

I never said a dozen. It's usually just one or two, but that's all it takes. If the local shows in your area never have people taking cell phone videos, then consider yourself lucky, cause that shit can be real annoying to stand behind. But yeah, one person tapes the show on their cell phone or digital camera and posts it on YouTube, and local bands don't have the clout to be able to get that shit taken down most of the time, so they usually either own it or try to ignore it/hide it, and the latter rarely ever works.

Bicycle wrote:

the point is that people have cameras and nothing to do with them. and people watch shitty cell phone videos. You dont even need a camera person. Just work out a deal with another band you're playing with like i'll tape you if you tape me and then we will look like we give a shit about our presentation and people wont have to judge our performance based on shitty cell phone videos because we have provided them with a better alternative

It's just a lot more complicated then that, especially in the music scene out here in Phoenix. It is pretty disjointed out here and there's not a whole lot of "community" in a lot of the different scenes. Also, just having someone videotape your performance with a video camera, especially if that is another band member who doesn't exactly know how to properly use a camera, then you really aren't going to get too much better quality than a cell phone camera. It can be pretty difficult to capture a live performance on film and have it look and sound decent, and I'd be willing to bet most musicians who have tried, especially with limited to no funds, would probably agree with that.

I don't really mind as much as I'm letting on though, especially because I don't have any actual investment is most all of the bands that I've seen this happen too. It's just that I really like to see bands that I'm a fan of succeed and get some popularity, and I feel like shitty YouTube videos of their performance could potentially be a hinderance to that. Some of those bands may disagree with me, and maybe they have a point. Maybe those shitty YouTube videos just happened to expose some new people to that bands's music and the listener didn't mind the shitty quality, and went and sought out their quality stuff afterwards. If that happened to be the case, then I guess I'd be happy those videos were up, but I haven't exactly seen that to be true in my own anecdotal experiences. I'd definitely be interested to hear some of the forum band members/musicians take on this though.
Post Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:05 pm
Hinhale

I haven't been buying CDs in physical stores since I started listening to indie-rap about 4-5 years ago. It was just imposible to find here in Sweden. Last year I stopped buying CDs altogether since I never actally used them anyway.
Post Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:27 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Limbs wrote:

I'm a fan of convenience as much as the next guy but jeeze let's get outside more.

this is something i highly agree with , as these are some of my favorite things to go out to do, and since i cant go out and do them its just sad, i LIKE going out to the video store to rent a movie or game, i like going out to the store to buy music, i like going to the comic store/book store and browse and see the comics and art in my hand, bring back STORES! digital is cool and convenient but why cant they BOTH be options, why do they have to make it one or the other
Post Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:09 pm
JohnSchwan

Neuro wrote:
Limbs wrote:

I'm a fan of convenience as much as the next guy but jeeze let's get outside more.

this is something i highly agree with , as these are some of my favorite things to go out to do, and since i cant go out and do them its just sad, i LIKE going out to the video store to rent a movie or game, i like going out to the store to buy music, i like going to the comic store/book store and browse and see the comics and art in my hand, bring back STORES! digital is cool and convenient but why cant they BOTH be options, why do they have to make it one or the other

Because one is becoming much more profitable than the other.
Post Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:44 pm
TV

The only new CDs I can think of that I bought this year are Das Racist and Random Axe, both of which must've been Best Buy. I used to go to Soundgarden on occasion when I worked in Baltimore but I haven't been there in years. I don't know of any stores around here so when I'm in BB I'll stroll through the CDs and usually grab something. Sometimes if I'm ordering something from Amazon I'll throw a CD in also, but that's not a brick and mortar so I don't know if that's a place you're interested in.
Post Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:58 am
Flawed Logic

Location: Austin, TX - Albuquerque, NM - Kalamazoo, MI - Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

This was a tough question for me. It took a while to actually think of the last time I went into a store other than FE or online through Strange Famous. Back when I lived in South MPLS I could go to Cheapo or Down in the Valley but I haven't lived in MN for a couple years. Kalamazoo MI doesn't have have many options for brick and mortar Cd shops so my options are very limited, and because of that when I do want to get a new album or Cd, I prefer that my money goes to Strange Famous or FE rather than iTunes, Cd Baby or Amazon. The only other place that I have purchased vinyl or a Cd at in the last year is at a show directly from the artist. Other than that it is at FE or online at Strange Famous.

Shit - I still have about 500 Cd's in my garage from the last two bands I was in. Anybody need any coasters? hahaha
Post Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:50 pm
Jesse

Bicycle wrote:
Jesse wrote:
Bicycle wrote:
The band looks and sounds like professionals and the camera man gains exposure.
I would like to start with asking bicycle who are some of his favourite camera mans!

Preferably concentrating on those who have gained exposure through free off-the-floor band videos.
Not really sure what the point of your question is. Seems like youre just taking issue with my word choices
Nah dude, I'm poking fun at the common fallacious idea that people who do donate their professional skills to the greater glory of an artist "gain exposure" from it.

They don't!

(that's why we pay them money to make it worth their while to do things for us we can't do ourselves)
Post Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:54 pm
xGasPricesx

Related funny story: The last time B. Dolan was playing in my town (last March) there was a pretty small crowd because of what seemed to be really shitty promoters (my opinion). Anyways, there was like 15 of us right up in front of the stage in this little night club and these 2 guys were filming B. with their cell phones while simultaneously trying to mosh in a small crowd that wasn't in the mood for that. B. had insulted the kids a few times throughout the set, but they pretty much just laughed along with it, and then at one point about 3/4 of the way through his set, in the middle of a song, he reached out and slapped one of the kids in the face. He just went right on with his performance after that and the crowd did a little "Ohhh snap" and the dudes continued to act in the same manner for the rest of the night.

After the show, out front of the club, the three guy had come out asking B. to sign things or something and then some other girl had come out and pretty much shoved them all into a car and apologized to everyone for their behavior. It was a pretty interesting show. Also, B. still killed it that night.
Post Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:29 pm
medicineman
HALFLING

I haven't bought a single album in a physical store this year. We lost our best record shop here about a year ago, and while I wasn't the most frequent customer there, it was sad to see it go. The proprietor was a really nice guy (he also really knew his hip-hop for an older white jazz guy - not everyone is so open minded), employed his daughters, serious knowledge of music history and willing to chat it with you, decent vinyl selection - just a nice shop. But apparently we can't support two in this community and the lesser of the two, in my humble opinion, had better name establishment and survives. I don't frequent the other (Record Collector), because it's in my opinion a hipster haven where people only stock what they like so they can sneer at those who don't have it already when they come in to patronize their business. So they get nothing from me except the occasional ticket cop when I fear a sellout.

But I also haven't been buying music online, because right now I don't have any plastic or even a bank account. It's been an insanely fiscally troubled year, unexpected medical bills, legal shit, you know the tune. And personally, I haven't been really too immersed in what's coming out and I've really only been aware of a few new albums I was interested in. I've been listening to a lot of country and folk rock, raiding my old man's records, keeping up on the local scene, which is actually on the upswing perhaps, and working on my own album and getting a studio put together, which soaks up the liquid assets. I do think though that for the most part my purchasing of physical CDs will be slim from this point on. Anytime I travel to someplace with a nice shop I like to buy a few just to do so, but I probably won't be spending much around here anytime soon.
Post Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:19 pm
Nemonic7

Was in Walmart today about to buy the new Common album but saw that they only had the edited version so I had to pass.
Post Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:54 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next