Search
Register
End-of-Year lists & the future of music
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

kese

The only physical music purchases I've made this year were at shows.
One was the Gee Whiz 7" from Buck, I bought the album online, but it's probably the closest to my Favorite album to come out this year.
Post Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:09 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Limbs

Thurston Moore's Demolished Thoughts.

I bought Fallen House on vinyl again on a whim just to have a copy unopened. Maybe frame it if I get it signed.

I think I'm done with CDs. There will be rare exceptions but I just hate them. Always have.
Post Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:40 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

What physical store did you get FHSC at?
Post Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:43 pm
johncos

The new Das Racsit cd and She & Him Christmas album on vinyl were the only new releases I purchased from a store this year, both from Sound Garden in Baltimore.

I also bought a new, sealed copy of the Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack on vinyl, but that's obviously not a new record.
Post Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:00 pm
iammessage

Black Keys El Camino

i know its been a trendy pick and theyve been everywhere, but ive been a fan for a long time and support ohio musicz.
Post Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:07 pm
Limbs

Sage Francis wrote:
What physical store did you get FHSC at?

UHF in Royal Oak, MI. They had HTDD too.
Post Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:06 pm
AdamBomb

I bought Tame Impala - Innerspeaker and Shlohmo - Bad Vibes at Fingerprints in Long Beach and they were two of my top favorites of this year that I bought at a store. Its getting harder to find stuff I like at physical stores. Even the "indie"stores dont quite have the selection for what i'm looking for. I did buy a shitload of albums off bandcamp that I really liked and also bought every release that came off of leaving records (mostly cassettes).
Post Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:31 pm
Nemonic7

None this year and I can't remember the last time I found an album that I wanted in a physical store but it was probably some years ago. I do try though. If I know the album has that type of distribution, I try to get it from the physical store but what usually happens is those artists who do try to get the music distributed in the physical stores like Best Buy/FYE, well it would be listed on the website but not be in the store. Plus the FYE near me closed down a couple years ago. The only other physical stores I know to get music from are Best Buy, Walmart and Target. I tried to buy Cunninlynguists - Oneirology at Best Buy because it's on Best Buy's website but when I went to the store they didn't have it. There hasn't been any other albums that I liked this year that has that level of distribution although I am thinking of getting Common's new album(ha oneirology is about dreams and Common's album has a dream theme). This has been a horrible year for music and I'm just realizing it because I was so busy with other stuff all year. There's only been like 4 albums I liked this year. Most of what I've been listening to are albums from last year and some from years earlier and the mix of loose tracks/singles I liked I usually put together each year.
Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:15 am
adic

I can't remember the last year I bought any music in a store, maybe 09? Probably longer than that...

I still but actual CD's for the most part, but I always buy online. Once all the artists I were interested in started selling online, it was just easier that way...if there was a store close that I could buy the music I like in physical copy than I'd probably still do that, but that hasn't been the case for like 10 years new
Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:40 am
kayla
cutie n3wb

jolie holland - pint of blood
radiohead - the king of limbs

there are a few other albums i liked from 2011, but i didn't buy them.
Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:54 am
Alan Hague

Fucked Up's "David Comes to Life" is unquestionably my favorite album of 2011. Marco & I played that album ad nauseum on tour this summer, and we've both listened to it pretty much constantly ever since. In fact, I think it's recently just made it to the top of my Favorite Albums of All-Time list, dethroning "Kid A."

Also, Democracy Now! needs to do a piece on "Film the Police." Or, at the very least, play it between segments on the show. Something.
Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:25 am
anomaly
Loserface

This year I discovered a bunch of older music I really like. Anything I bought was used cd/vinyl or digital from Bandcamp.

The future is the past.
Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:34 am
Captiv8

Is this meant to shame people that only buy digital and enjoy lists? Because I feel unduly ashamed. What is the aversion to lists all about? Does this go back to the "look what I listen to!" idea? Is this about Swiss-like neutrality?

For the record, the last new CD I remember buying was Human the Death Dance. One of the reasons for this is that I like to listen to full records before I buy them. I don't feel comfortable spending $15 on something that I only like half of. I also don't like lugging around physical copies of things and cluttering up my place with stacks of plastic. The downside is that I lost some music when my iPod and laptop crapped out and now I'm plum out of luck. Alas.

Also, I supported SFR by going to the Li(fe) / FHSC tour and buying a lovely shirt.
Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:31 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I didn't mean to set off any guilt trip wires. This, in a not so sneaky way, is a field study of sorts. If you read my explanation as to why I'm curious about what albums people bought in physical stores, you'll have a better understanding of the difficult decision a lot of musicians and labels will have to make within the next two years.
Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:46 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

the last physical albums i bought was every piece of vinyl b. and sage had on there last time through Michigan.
Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:31 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next