Register
FILM THE POLICE!
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

remind

Superb work, gentlemen!
Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:30 am
empti

Anon is passing this around right now it seems.
http://anonops.blogspot.com/
:)
Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:51 am
crash

Location: the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:13 pm
b. dolan
FBI agent

!
Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:38 pm
Flawed Logic

Location: Austin, TX - Albuquerque, NM - Kalamazoo, MI - Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

Holy shit what the... Congrats you guys this is taking off!
Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:50 pm
Disharmony

b. dolan wrote:

!
Hah! Yesssss.
Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:54 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

song and video has been on constant repeat since yesterday morning

so well done

i def hope this makes its rounds, and looks like it has so far
Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:07 pm
RealJustice

First off, great job guys and congrats on the all the press you have gotten already!

The same day this dropped, my friend John was arrested for doing this very thing:

Who is a journalist?
By Maggie Koerth-Baker at 8:46 am Tuesday, Dec 13

Writer and comedian John Knefel reaches for his glasses as police pull him away during an Occupy Wall Street protest in New York City yesterday. This really great photo was taken by Jessica Lehrman in the lobby of Winter Garden, a building owned by Brookfield Property, the same company that owns Zuccotti Park. To get a different view on the same scene, check out a video that someone else was filming at the same time. You can see Knefel falling down around 6:30.

The photo and video bring up something interesting. Knefel is a writer and comedian, one of the many people documenting OWS from the inside while trying to navigate the very grey boundaries of journalist and participant in the age of Internet journalism. Personally, I think this conflict is pretty interesting. If I can get all "journalism ethics class" for a minute here, I think OWS is drawing attention to the already existing need for new definitions of who constitutes "media" and who doesn't. Why is this more confusing than you might thing? Let me use Knefel as an example.

Knefel doesn't work for a major media outlet. But he's also not just some random bystander. He's got a political podcast with new episodes three times a week. Do we only call someone a journalist if they have enough page views? Do they have to have a journalism degree? What's the line?

Knefel is a biased source of information. But so are a lot of mainstream commentators. We'd call someone from Fox News a journalist. We'd call someone from Reason magazine a journalist. We'd call somebody from Mother Jones a journalist. Having a clear political angle to your coverage doesn't make you not a journalist. Except when it does. So what are the actual criteria?

Knefel didn't have a press pass. But, as Xeni has pointed out, the press pass system in New York is incredibly convoluted and contradictory. So what if you can't get one? Does that mean you aren't a journalist? This is particularly problematic given the fact that the rules seem to be set up to favor long-standing publications with lots of resources that mostly just cover New York City. How does that fit into a globalized world? Why punish media entrepreneurship?

We live in an age where publishing is easy and the tools to do it are available to a much wider swatch of people. But our standards and rules for who gets protection as a member of the press are based on a paradigm where publishing wasn't easy and only a limited number of people could do it. At the same time, we have to acknowledge that not everybody who uses the Internet is a journalist, because being a journalist comes with responsibilities not just protections. I'm pretty sure my Dad doesn't want to hold his Facebook to the same standard that I use when writing here.

I don't know the answer to these questions. But I know we need to have this conversation. Occupy Wall Street just shows us what can happen when we keep applying old rules to a new world.

http://boingboing.net/2011/12/13/who-is-a-journalist.html
Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:43 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Over 30,000 views in less than 2 days. And you didn't have to compromise yourself in any type of way to make this shit pop off.

Respect.
Post Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:29 am
DeadAwake

Mind me asking what was the main influence behind the selection process for snippets of police violence? If thats a trade secret, then i just want to say im kind of surprised the Rodney King beating wasn't shown. My guess for not including it is either that it already has gotten wide coverage or its too far back to include.
Post Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:03 am
b. dolan
FBI agent

DeadAwake wrote:
Mind me asking what was the main influence behind the selection process for snippets of police violence? If thats a trade secret, then i just want to say im kind of surprised the Rodney King beating wasn't shown. My guess for not including it is either that it already has gotten wide coverage or its too far back to include.

we didn't make a choice not to include it... i guess there was so much more recent footage that we never went looking for it, sort of.

also, i did try to focus on cameraphone and citizen footage, as opposed to police car footage, which is what the RK footage was.
Post Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:01 am
FranktheP

b. dolan wrote:
also, i did try to focus on cameraphone and citizen footage, as opposed to police car footage, which is what the RK footage was.

I thought the RK incident was one of the first of these types caught by a citizen? I thought the guy was on his balacony across the street. It's been awhile so I could be wrong. Congrats all the same.
Post Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:51 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Right, the Rodney King beating was citizen footage. I think those images are engrained in everyones mind. It has been used in a ton of videos and we certainly could have used it, but I think it was better to show a bunch of other instances.
Post Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:24 am
Limbs

I'm curious if you guys have gotten any feedback from cops.
Post Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:29 am
sewer samuel

b. dolan wrote:
I gotta say it was a good day.

billy bragg is a fuckin badass!
congradulations guys!
Post Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:35 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next