Profile
Search
Register
Log in
NBA 2011-2012. The NBA is back!!
View previous topic | View next topic >

Post new topic Reply to topic
Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Author Message
sloe t
self-worthlessness


Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 685
Location: ellensburg, wa
 Reply with quote  

1. "the league" didn't set up the deal. "the league" vetoed it. it was set up by the hornet's gm who was trying to make the best of a bad situation.

2. goran dragic is not one of the rockets' best players. martin is a good scorer but a liability in other facets of the game. scola is good but nowhere near pau's league (also the same age as pau). the rockets have been trying to get a legitimate center since yao went down, and you have to give up something to make that happen.

3. i don't think this trade makes the lakers better at all. it gets them another superstar yes, but at the expense of weakening their team. and paul is leaving for a bigger market next year anyway!

4. paul gets to dictate where he goes next year if he isn't traded and has every right to not sign an extension with the team he gets traded to if he chooses not to. obviously teams are going to shy away from him if he won't sign long term, but it's not like it's the first time this has happened or some kind of conspiracy.
Post Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:41 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
squirtisblow



Joined: 12 Mar 2003
Posts: 1587
Location: SFV
 Reply with quote  

let 'em make bad decisions then... like i said before i think the lakers are stronger without the trade. the league has been dominated by bigs in the past decade plus.

and it's not just allow, CP3 WILL be a free agent in July and WILL leave, and he'll probably want to go to a big ticket team at that point. If they made the deal now they'd at least get something out of it.

and as i said the Lakers will always be attractive to players for it's legacy and LA is pretty cool city to live in if you have a shit ton of money and you're a basketball player... Same reason the kings wanted to move to LA, nobody wants to fucking live in sacramento it's very hard to attract players to go there.

*edit* agree with sloe
Post Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:43 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
tommi teardrop



Joined: 12 Apr 2007
Posts: 2215
Location: Las Vegas
 Reply with quote  

And this nonsense that the Lakers are better without the trade. . .

Are you fucking retarded? Chris Paul is 26 years old and the best PG on earth. The Lakers got murdered by the Mavs. Fisher cannot guard elite PGs. Chris Paul can.

And this is not even about this year. This is about the Lakers being the dominant team in the west for the next 8 years.

So just answer this question. If you are trying to win a championship as a team in the west, does it make any sense to send the best PG in the league to the Lakers, a team that will continue to attract free agents due to their market and history as a winning team?

Is that a trade that you, as a GM would make?
Post Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:06 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
tommi teardrop



Joined: 12 Apr 2007
Posts: 2215
Location: Las Vegas
 Reply with quote  

and you realize that Scola puts up about the same numbers as Pau and plays much better defense right? And then you are giving a 20 ppg scorer and a young pg with promise. For Pau Gasol? really?
Post Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:12 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
squirtisblow



Joined: 12 Mar 2003
Posts: 1587
Location: SFV
 Reply with quote  

I'm not going to sit and argue with you if the lakers would be better, but i doubt adding a declining kobe to the hornets would of made them a title winning team... i mean who else do the lakers really have? an injury prone bynum and MWP? Not to mention Paul is also coming off a bad knee injury from last year. i guess they can attract another player easily, but it's a free market, that's just life. Eventually with the new progressive tax cap the lakers wouldn't be able to sustain much over the cap in 3 or 4 years.

and alligator will eat pau all day over scola, you're on drugs.
Post Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:17 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
sloe t
self-worthlessness


Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 685
Location: ellensburg, wa
 Reply with quote  

have you been watching basketball since jordan retired? dominant frontcourts have been winning championships that whole time. this trade completely guts the lakers' frontcourt and leaves them with a center who can't stay healthy even though he only plays 25 minutes a game. to argue that the trade makes them better this year seems crazy to me, to argue that it makes them better long term seems completely hypothetical. so yes, i suppose i am fucking retarded.
Post Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:19 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
tommi teardrop



Joined: 12 Apr 2007
Posts: 2215
Location: Las Vegas
 Reply with quote  

What dominant frontcourts have been winning titles? Duncan and Oberto? Ben Wallace and Sheed? Shaq and Haslem? Shaq and Samaki Walker? KG and Perkins? Bynum (who you say is always injured and has a bad attitude) and Pau? Chandler and Dirk?

And you still didn't answer my question. If you were trying to win a championship in the future, would you give CP3 to the Lakers?

I don't care what they are giving back, I am not giving the Lakers, of all teams, Chris Paul. Not now, not ever.
Post Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:34 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
sloe t
self-worthlessness


Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 685
Location: ellensburg, wa
 Reply with quote  

dirk and chandler, pau/odom/bynum... i don't really have to list them do i? just think where the lakers were before they got pau. he was literally the one piece that turned them from run-of-the-mill playoff team, out in the first or second round, into a championship quality team. in the last twelve years the heat are the only team i can think of who won a title because of their guard play, without a great front court. and they still had a somewhat effective shaq, one of the 5 best centers of all time.

and yes, if the lakers were offering me the best deal i would send him there. should they give him to the knicks for chauncey billups just to spite the lakers? at least this way you take away two of their key pieces rather than just letting him walk there after the season. in fact, as i already said, at least for the short term you weaken their team. obviously i would rather keep chris paul but if that clearly wasn't possible i would do this deal.
Post Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:50 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
squirtisblow



Joined: 12 Mar 2003
Posts: 1587
Location: SFV
 Reply with quote  

I don't know, i mean it's pretty tough for the lakers to plan for the future around kobe like you're saying they're doing now. Kobe won't be the same in 2 or 3 years time, especially if they're adding a player like Paul who will take away from a slower half court game which is to kobe's high mileage advantage. If the Paul trade was going to be good it was because they had a solid big man lined up to help out now.

They could create a team around Paul in the future. It's their prerogative, though, why should the league stop the lakers from making smart choices about their future? because they've won so much? This makes no sense.
Post Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:33 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
futuristxen



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 19356
Location: Tighten Your Bible Belt
 Reply with quote  

sloe t wrote:
have you been watching basketball since jordan retired? dominant frontcourts have been winning championships that whole time. this trade completely guts the lakers' frontcourt and leaves them with a center who can't stay healthy even though he only plays 25 minutes a game.


You know this was phase one, phase two was Dwight. And they also got two TPEs out of this deal so they could have probably got a good power forward like Paul Milsap pretty easily.

And the deal made no sense for New Orleans. They're trying to sell the team, so they trade their only marketable player for a group of players who will keep them out of the lottery in one of the deepest drafts in a few years--just so they can have the honor of going out in the first round to the same Lakers they traded Paul to.

A better deal for them would have been if they were getting young players and picks.

Also Houston got massively killed in this trade. I don't understand why they value Pau Gasol that much when he's arguably not better than JUST Scola.

The whole thing stinks.

Not saying the trade should have been voided. But I think it WAS a bad deal. AND I think that the league should wait until someone buys the team before they trade Paul. If that means losing him for nothing, then so be it. The NBA has no business owning a team.
Post Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:24 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Prontoid



Joined: 07 Aug 2002
Posts: 1605
Location: Melbourne, Australia
 Reply with quote  

sloe t wrote:
dirk and chandler, pau/odom/bynum... i don't really have to list them do i? just think where the lakers were before they got pau. he was literally the one piece that turned them from run-of-the-mill playoff team, out in the first or second round, into a championship quality team. in the last twelve years the heat are the only team i can think of who won a title because of their guard play, without a great front court. and they still had a somewhat effective shaq, one of the 5 best centers of all time.
.


and 'Zo had his moments the Heat's championship year
Post Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:29 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
sloe t
self-worthlessness


Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 685
Location: ellensburg, wa
 Reply with quote  

futuristxen wrote:
Also Houston got massively killed in this trade. I don't understand why they value Pau Gasol that much when he's arguably not better than JUST Scola.

i don't buy this at all. scola's numbers were inflated because he was the only legit front court player on the rockets. put him on the lakers, even without gasol, and he's a role player at best. everyone is killing pau right now because he's coming off that terrible playoff performance but his addition is the reason the lakers won two titles.

if the lakers did somehow land both paul and howard, plus a legit 4 i probably would just stop watching basketball. and maybe that is the reason the league stopped this trade. i don't know, but it seemed like howard was pushing for nj even before the paul trade was announced and then nixed. i don't think the lakers left themselves enough assets to get howard after the paul trade anyway, i doubt the magic would deal him for bynum straight up.
Post Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:39 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
squirtisblow



Joined: 12 Mar 2003
Posts: 1587
Location: SFV
 Reply with quote  

^^ 100% agree
Post Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:50 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
T-Wrex
p00ny tang


Joined: 30 Jun 2002
Posts: 6393
Location: Detroit, Michigan
 Reply with quote  

just saw on the news that Rip Hamilton was cut loose...
he'd be a good 9th man on the Lakers or the Heat..
Post Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:43 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
futuristxen



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 19356
Location: Tighten Your Bible Belt
 Reply with quote  

sloe t wrote:
futuristxen wrote:
Also Houston got massively killed in this trade. I don't understand why they value Pau Gasol that much when he's arguably not better than JUST Scola.

i don't buy this at all. scola's numbers were inflated because he was the only legit front court player on the rockets. put him on the lakers, even without gasol, and he's a role player at best. everyone is killing pau right now because he's coming off that terrible playoff performance but his addition is the reason the lakers won two titles.

if the lakers did somehow land both paul and howard, plus a legit 4 i probably would just stop watching basketball. and maybe that is the reason the league stopped this trade. i don't know, but it seemed like howard was pushing for nj even before the paul trade was announced and then nixed. i don't think the lakers left themselves enough assets to get howard after the paul trade anyway, i doubt the magic would deal him for bynum straight up.


I dunno every time I watch Scola he kills it. He's a rugged rugged big. He can score as well as Pau, but he's a much nastier defender. He's very underrated. I'd say he's like the Ginobilli of power forwards.
Post Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:46 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
All times are GMT - 6 Hours.
The time now is Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:21 pm
  Display posts from previous:      


Powered by phpBB: © 2001 phpBB Group
Template created by The Fathom
Based on template of Nick Mahon