Search
Register
Fallen House, Sunken City Appreciation.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > SFR Artists, Albums & Merch!

Ardamus315

dope album. really impressed with B. Dolan's work on this.
Post Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:34 am
Dr Sagacious

Before this album, I was pretty exhausted with Boom Bap. When I heard it was mainly that, before it was released, I was sort of worried. But there was a constant reminder that the same dude who did The Failure (which is a masterpiece) is going to be spitting over said Boom Bap. I wasn't too worried, which is good, because the album is fucking good. I can't wait to hear what B is going to be doing next. I actually anticipate that over most Hip Hop records, whether it be Mainstream or Indie.

Yeah, Watch the Throne was cool, but what about Watch the B-Hive? lawl.

(edit: Thanks Limbs. Haha)

Last edited by Dr Sagacious on Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:57 pm
Limbs

You guys mean The Failure right? To which the song Heart Failure belongs?

I love The Failure too. I just have to be in a certain mood to listen to it. It's very demanding.

Wasn't there supposed to be some breakdown of The Hunter song? Or something? Anyone know what I'm talking about or did I dream that?
Post Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:11 pm
xGasPricesx

Limbs wrote:

Wasn't there supposed to be some breakdown of The Hunter song? Or something? Anyone know what I'm talking about or did I dream that?

You mean like an explanation? I'm not sure if there was one or not, but I did do some independent research after the album came out and found out a little more about the Exeter story. It's actually pretty interesting: http://strangene.com/cemeteries/vampire.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercy_Brown_vampire_incident
Post Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:06 pm
Dr Sagacious

I think I read the "breakdown" of The Hunter a little while after FHSC was released. It was about soldiers, the horrors they see in war, the brainwashing which paints the enemy as truly morally evil (vampires is the metaphor), coming back from it all being jaded, and realizing that you've essentially become what you were endoctrinated to destroy.

I could've sworn I read that somewhere, maybe I didn't, and that's how I always interpreted the song. I doubt that though, I'm not that smart.
Post Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:24 pm
xGasPricesx

Yeah, I can't remember if that was something that B had put out about it or not. Your post is definitely spot on with the meaning, though.

On a slightly related note: I still really love the "I put stake in heart, and faith in hard work" line.
Post Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:34 pm
Limbs

Hah, that line gets me everytime too. That and "life is long, not forever, right?" into the hark back to 50 Ways. I can't help but rap along with that whole last verse. I've rudely interrupted conversations to do so. It's sad really.
Post Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:10 am
b. dolan
FBI agent

Appreciation appreciated, for reals. I'm conscious of the kind of music I make, and my approach to this career up to now could best be described as 'opposite-of-viral'. So it's good to see people take notice of that, and this kind of stuff is sort of more meaningful to me than people digging it during the 'campaign'...

I watched other albums come out in the same year, with slicker packaging gimmicks and more expensive industry push, and knew then that once those things were forgotten, our album would still be standing up.

It's been a helluva year and a half since releasing it... Probably near 200 shows and half a globe travelled in support of it.

I've also been writing feverishly since the album was finished... at least two albums worth of material that I'm working on refining still. Folks should be hearing the first of the new songs as soon as this week, and there's a lot more where that came from.

Coincidentally I've been getting a lot of new feedback online about The Failure this week, from people discovering it for the first time. Slow and steady sinks the city.

<3

Last edited by b. dolan on Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:35 pm
Captiv8

I thought of this this morning: there are no throwaway lines on this record, period. With a lot of hip hop albums that I like I usually here a few lines that leave me scratching my head. Force rhymes, nonsensical bullshit, predictable similes, and that sort of thing. Not FHSC. And really, this doesn't happen with Sage either. That's invested craftsmanship, straight up. That's what sets Strange Famous apart.
Post Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:40 pm
Limbs

b. dolan wrote:
Coincidentally I've been getting a lot of new feedback online about The Failure this week, from people discovering it for the first time. Slow and steady sinks the city.

Its the winter creeping in. It's becoming a ritual to pull it out when the grey rolls in.

And everytime I do I realize on my copy you wrote "Listen when your dead..." Just like that. "Your". Not "you're". It has kept me up at night refusing to believe it was a mistake but always afraid to ask and soil the mystery. Listen when my dead who or what is what? It is time I stop living in the dark and confront this confusion. Why, B. Dolan, why?

I predict you'll never tell.
Post Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:44 pm
Captiv8

Did the original quote have the ellipses in it too? That makes all the difference. "Listen when your dead" versus "Listen when your dead...__________" is huge. Listen when your dead soul needs to be reborn. Listen when your dead relatives arise from the grave. Listen when your dead reckoning needs some reorientation. Et cetera.
Post Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:55 pm
Limbs

Yep, ellipses included. The possibilities are too endless. The speculation has driven me to the edge of sanity.

Which may have been the point.
Post Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:18 pm
b. dolan
FBI agent

Limbs wrote:
on my copy you wrote "Listen when your dead..." Just like that. "Your". Not "you're". It has kept me up at night refusing to believe it was a mistake.

No success like failure ;)
Post Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:55 pm
remind

I would also like to chime in and say that this album is certainly appreciated. The second verse of Leaving New York still gets my hip hop dick hard in seconds.
Post Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:14 pm
medicineman
HALFLING

Limbs wrote:
Yep, ellipses included. The possibilities are too endless. The speculation has driven me to the edge of sanity.

Which may have been the point.

Dear Limbs, I have not paid attention to where you are from. There is a new hip-hop act by that name in my vicinity. I know there are a few from my area on here (Iowa Cityay). Doesn't happen to be you does it?

Fallen House is a little hit or miss for me. I loooove about half of it. All the same, I've fervently defended B against friends who think he's a little too Sagey for his own good. Cooking with too much Sage can be overpowering. Marvin is probably top 100 songs of all time for me.
Post Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:24 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next