Search
Register
Fallen House, Sunken City Appreciation.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > SFR Artists, Albums & Merch!

Limbs

Fallen House, Sunken City Appreciation.  Reply with quote  

www.tinyurl.com/FallenHouse

Can we glee over this one? Cuz I think it's worth it.

I remember around the time it came out Jared said something along the lines of how it's the new Personal Journals. I thought that was silly friend boasting. Even after I fell in love with it.

Now, well over a year after its release, I tip my hat to Jared for calling that. PJ came out and hit me during the exact time I needed something like it in my life. It felt like it was mine. I still do. It's what I would have made if I had the talent. FHSC has managed to reach that level with me. It's the shit I didn't know I was waiting for and needed. It's the shit I would make if I had the talent. It feels like my record.

Things that I didn't appreciate about it early on have really sunk in with me recently. A big one is I always felt like the album sputtered after Border Crossing. Not thematically but musically. That song is so huge and finale feeling and POS's verse on the next track always rubbed me a little wrong, I would kind of gloss over the final tracks.

It ain't like that no more. It all fits for me now. I can appreciate it on every level (what I think) music is meant to. I'm not sure if people fully realize the cohesiveness and clarity of the album.

This shit will stand up forever with the classics for me. I'm glad people are still making music that gets me excited and feeling like I'm 18 again. Like I'm not as jaded as I think.

Thanks, B. Dolan!

www.tinyurl.com/FallenHouse
Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:00 am
RoNn1e

Re: Fallen House, Sunken City Appreciation.  Reply with quote  

Limbs wrote:
PJ came out and hit me during the exact time I needed something like it in my life. It felt like it was mine. I still do. It's what I would have made if I had the talent. FHSC has managed to reach that level with me. It's the shit I didn't know I was waiting for and needed. It's the shit I would make if I had the talent. It feels like my record.

Agreed. 100%

It's an amazing album on every level. I still listen to it regularly; which I can't do with other albums because the songs start to lose their edge after a couple listens. That's not the case with FHSC. Nothin but love for ya, B.
Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:53 am
adic

Re: Fallen House, Sunken City Appreciation.  Reply with quote  

Limbs wrote:
This shit will stand up forever with the classics for me. I'm glad people are still making music that gets me excited and feeling like I'm 18 again. Like I'm not as jaded as I think.

Thanks, B. Dolan!
Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:30 am
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Awesome album.

It's one of the few albums that never come off my mp3 player.

B knocked it out the park. Big ups to Alias, too.

I'd put it up against any indie-classics... from Fantastic Damage, Shadows On The Sun, Lucy Ford, Personal Journals, Masters Of The Universe, Cold Vein, Hell's Winter, Oliver Hart, Legacy Of Blood, etc... any of 'em.. It'll stand up.
Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:26 pm
Captiv8

When FHSC came out it absolutely blew me away. I had heard most of Heart Failure and didn't really feel it, but this was the kind of sea change I was looking for. Shortly after the album dropped I saw Sage and B. Dolan in Detroit, where I talked for a brief period of time to B. I gushed about the album and probably came off as a little overeager, but it was cool anyway. We also talked a little about "Lucifer" from House of Bees and that Kanye used the sample first, which I didn't know at the time. Oops. Thanks for an awesome record Dolan!

And I daresay that it will hold up better than Shadows on the Sun, Cold Vein, Hell's Winter, and Oliver Hart. No disrespect to those artists, but there is just something timeless about FHSC.
Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:59 pm
anomaly
Loserface

T-Wrex wrote:

B knocked it out the park.

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:44 pm
MCGF

This thread inspired me to listen to this again on my way to the record store today... which reminded me how much I love FHSC too. Every track manages to be both a jaw-shattering indictment on American society and a fucking great boom bap rap song. Very few indie rap albums hit that balance successfully. FHSC does.

I still don't like P.O.S's verse though haha. His delivery is... off.
Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:35 pm
Plum Puddin'

T-Wrex wrote:

B knocked it out the park.

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:37 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Photobucket
Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:51 pm
Plum Puddin'

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:35 pm
futuristxen

It is in my permanent car cd rotation.

The Failure is my fave though. Skycyle Blues is one of my favorite things ever.
Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:49 pm
xGasPricesx

futuristxen wrote:
Skycyle Blues is one of my favorite things ever.

This.

I've listened to that track literally hundreds of times over the past few years, and it still gives me chills every fucking time. Every time I show it to somebody, even if B. Dolan is far from their cup of tea, they are left speechless afterwards. It really is an incredible piece of poetry.
Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:54 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Plum Puddin' wrote:

holy crap. haha
Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:44 pm
Shadyvox

I remember pre-ordering it after hearing Earthmovers on here (yes I've been lurking a long long time) and having the anticipation grow each day. When I finally got the album, which was a day or 2 after release, the CD didn't leave my surround for a month straight and if I was out at all, it was playing on my iPod. I ended up hearing it so damn much that by the time Sage, B and FMA came through to Toronto, the entire set that B played, I knew word for word. It made it that much sweeter that I got to go up on stage for the Evel jump because I was just as excited to see B perform as Sage. Year and a half later, I can put on FHSC anytime and, providing I have the time for a full listen, it'll go beginning to end with no skips. Thanks B for giving us an amazing album that will stand the test of time.
Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:07 pm
Plum Puddin'

B still owes Oz.

We get why he couldnt make it, BUT WE HAVENT FORGOTTEN BRO!

I think he needs a chaperone too Sage, to keep him from getting hustled in illegal Knifey-Spoony games.
Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:30 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next