Search
Register
NBA 2011-2012. The NBA is back!!
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

JohnSchwan

NBA 2011-2012. The NBA is back!!  Reply with quote  

All reports are pointing to the NBA starting up on Christmas day, with free agency beginning December 9th. I'm really interested to see what final concessions were made by the owners. Rejoice!
Post Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:56 am
desert penguin

Today is a great day. Basketball is my favorite sport, but I really can't stand the NCAA aside from the first week of March Madness, so I'm glad I won't be forced to watch that sloppy shit. It also gives the nation something to unite over in the spring when we all start rooting our hardest against LeBron.
Post Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:01 am
Captiv8

Meh. Ya, I came in this thread to talk shit.
Post Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:23 am
squirtisblow

I think the players made more concessions than the owners.
Post Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:01 am
JohnSchwan

squirtisblow wrote:
I think the players made more concessions than the owners.

Oh, I know they made a lot of concessions of the BMI split and profit sharing, but I know that the owners made some last minute concessions when it came to operational stuff like contract length, the MLE, and other free agency issues. That's what I was talking about.
Post Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:16 am
Sarcastro

oh happy day OH HAPPY DAY!!

Post Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:21 am
AdamBomb

Fuck the players and fuck the owners. Lower the ticket prices so average joes can afford to see a game. Lower the beer prices. Pay the workers who slave away at the arenas more.
Post Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:22 am
Sarcastro

AdamBomb wrote:
Fuck the players and fuck the owners. Lower the ticket prices so average joes can afford to see a game. Lower the beer prices. Pay the workers who slave away at the arenas more.

The individual words make sense, but the sentence just sounds like nonsensical gobbledeegoop?

Post Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:26 am
JohnSchwan

AdamBomb wrote:

I've never really appreciated this argument, the problem lies in the fact that a lot of these average joes are willing to pay an exorbitant amount of money to see these games even if they can't afford it. In fact, the teams that have ticket prices that the average joe can afford have horrible attendance records, and the teams with insane ticket prices sell out.

Supply and demand, it's the consumers fault really, if we're willing to pay these prices the prices will continue to be high, and by asking them to lower these prices, the players won't feel these cuts, nor will the owners. The people who work at the arenas will make less money if this happens.

I also don't blame players whom have an average career span of I think right around 5 or 6 years for trying to suck out every last penny they can get, especially if the majority of people are willing to pay to afford them this luxury.
Post Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:41 am
Juan
girls don juan anything to do with me

Both the players and the owners have driven me crazy during this lockout, but I've been wanting the owners to win every concession. Fuck the players.

Glad basketball should be back though.
Post Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:29 pm
AdamBomb

JohnSchwan wrote:
AdamBomb wrote:

I've never really appreciated this argument, the problem lies in the fact that a lot of these average joes are willing to pay an exorbitant amount of money to see these games even if they can't afford it. In fact, the teams that have ticket prices that the average joe can afford have horrible attendance records, and the teams with insane ticket prices sell out.

Supply and demand, it's the consumers fault really, if we're willing to pay these prices the prices will continue to be high, and by asking them to lower these prices, the players won't feel these cuts, nor will the owners. The people who work at the arenas will make less money if this happens.

I also don't blame players whom have an average career span of I think right around 5 or 6 years for trying to suck out every last penny they can get, especially if the majority of people are willing to pay to afford them this luxury.

I suppose that is fair enough. Supply and demand...a business is a business. I just think that if the NBA hasn't been profitable for so many franchises yet it costs an arm and a leg, something is wrong. Then you got dudes just flaunting the wealth left and right then appearing in solidarity with the players union wanting more...just rubs me the wrong way.

These are Hornets season ticket prices: http://www.nba.com/hornets/tickets/1112_sth_new.html
Post Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:40 pm
futuristxen

I've been pretty anti-owner, because I think a lot of the measures they were proposing were draconian and anti-competitive. This deal seems like an okay one, that maintains a lot of the things I like in terms of free agency(I like free agency, it's exciting), while implenting things that I think will make the GM side of it a lot more interesting. I like the loosened restraints on trades.

Most of all though I'm glad to get to not miss a full season of Miami Heat basketball. Been missing the NBA with how dreadful the past few weeks have been as a United fan.

Hoping the Heat can sign an MLE level center, a few quality amnestied vets for the minimum, and then go back and stomp through the playoffs and get a ring after getting so close last year.
Post Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:05 pm
futuristxen

AdamBomb wrote:
JohnSchwan wrote:
AdamBomb wrote:

I suppose that is fair enough. Supply and demand...a business is a business. I just think that if the NBA hasn't been profitable for so many franchises yet it costs an arm and a leg, something is wrong. Then you got dudes just flaunting the wealth left and right then appearing in solidarity with the players union wanting more...just rubs me the wrong way.

These are Hornets season ticket prices: http://www.nba.com/hornets/tickets/1112_sth_new.html

I blame shitty owners for mismanaging shitty teams. This lockout wouldn't have happened if we didn't have a bunch of owners who bought into the league without the money to actually support their hobby. You should never buy into a sports team just to make a profit. It should be a luxury item like a yacht. If you can't afford that, you shouldn't own a team, because it's bad for the fans.
Post Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:08 pm
phataccino

Juan wrote:
I've been wanting the owners to win every concession. Fuck the players.
Why? This is crazy to me. I don't understand how someone can be a basketball fan, have followed this lockout, and take the owners side. Fuck the owners.
Post Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:11 pm
Dr Sagacious

Man, I was definitely hoping this would last the full season. Looks like no more hockey highlights on ESPN. :(
Post Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:11 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next