Search
Register
WINNER OF THE "BAD THINGS" REMIX CONTEST...
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

SFR announcement

WINNER OF THE "BAD THINGS" REMIX CONTEST...  Reply with quote  

To hear all of the remixes from the contest and read the full write-up (along with critiques by the Metermaids, Sage Francis & B. Dolan) please go to:

http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/blogs/sage-francis-blog/bad-things-remix-vote/

Big, big congrats to Theory 77 and many thanks to everyone who participated. Great stuff all around.

Last edited by SFR announcement on Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:15 pm; edited 7 times in total
Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:59 pm
Marcus Forealius

So many great verses in this song. I can't wait to hear what I imagine will be some great, hard-hitting submissions.
Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:09 pm
Flawed Logic

Location: Austin, TX - Albuquerque, NM - Kalamazoo, MI - Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

Shit yeah it's on.

Last edited by Flawed Logic on Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:27 pm
Captiv8

My favorite part about these contests are the unique interpretations I get to hear in a few weeks. It's great sifting through the various remixes and voting for number one. Good luck, all!
Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:10 pm
SFR announcement

162 acapella downloads so far.

So what you're saying is...we'll be spending a lotttttt of time listening to all of these remixes before narrowing down the field. If nothing else, maybe we'll happen upon some incredible beats for future projects in the process. All good!
Post Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:40 pm
magOwl

Trying to finish mine up; made things difficult for me though.. again. But I got a few more days so I should be ok. Dope tune!
Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:14 am
Flawed Logic

Location: Austin, TX - Albuquerque, NM - Kalamazoo, MI - Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

So after 226 downloads of the vocal stem are you guys sick of listening to the song already? hahahaha - I can't wait to hear what people came up with for it.
Post Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:53 am
adic

After working on remixes for 4 days straight, I had to call it done last night. Hopefully one of mine makes the final cut, can't wait to hear what everyone else has done...

Really dope song.. I finally got around to checking out the full Metermaids album last night and that is great as well...
Post Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:32 pm
Captiv8

I like the remixes by Tommy Fox and James Hancock, but I don't think they're the top choices. Good Goose, on the other hand, brings something huge and raw (insert dick joke), and the Brown and Cubbiebear combo is absolutely incredible. The piano in the background is nice. The drums are crisp and hard.

I really like the sound Bec Ars has put together, but I think it's better suited for an instrumental track because it overpowers the vocals.

Blanthrax. Man, I wanted this track to be just a smidge different so that it flowed better with vocals. Similar to Bec Ars, there is some really ill instrumental potential here. Great use of the choral sample.

Button Pusher has a nice different, even whimsical, vibe to it. This doesn't fit the mood of the song, of course, but I like it all the same.

D.M.G. sounds like some classic hip hop reminiscent of Black Milk or even Dilla. The sample sounds a bit clipped, but this has a nice New York feel to it nonetheless.

Deepsea has brought some really interesting synth and percussion to the table. I dig it.

Dick Mantis. Scratches are super nice, but the constant throbbing bass is distracting.

Doc Hollywood really switches things up in a way I enjoy. I think the synthy trumpet sound should be turned down just a touch, but this track is great. Very different from most of the submissions.

Dynamo414. Very slinky. Not really my flavor, but I think it deserves some recognition.

Flawed Logic puts on a drum clinic, per usual. I really like this remix for the many layers and drum awesomeness. Think it over.

Golden S. Wow. I really like the sitar and Middle Eastern vibe to this track. This one also really stands out from the crowd.

Gross Boy. I love the future sounds a warbly ghost synth. Doesn't fit the track in terms of mood, but it sounds cool all the same.

Jecht Rye. I like the feel of this track a lot. I think it could be more varied, but the drums sound nice.

Josh Kelley. Nice bass. I needed a little more...something though.

Le Parasite. Ill ill ill. The bassline is nice and bouncy, the mood is as dark as the lyrics. This should be in the top five.

LEIF(kolt). At first I wasn't feeling it, but you really came with something sweet in an off-kilter way. The creepy synthline really seals this one for me. Another top five entry.

MagOwl. Wow. Superb track.

Martin Katscan. I really like that you took the rock-sample approach to this remix. I think it needed more variation, but I appreciate what you've done.

Mic Titan. The repetition of the bassline here actually works in favor of the remix. It reminds me of Zavala. I like this.

MSPK. This is really great. The subtlety of the various sounds captures the vocal vibe quite well.

Shane Stream. Nice use of samples here. I don't like the dissonant switch-ups though. But again, the piano loop is great.

Sonofsamsounds. Great arpeggiated beat here. The beat would be terrific on its own, but the vocal synergy is not where I think it should be.

Sore Wigg. Good Lord this is grimy, dark, and brooding. There is some serious potential here, but I think it needs a little more variation to work as a remix.

Soundsmith. Super Western meets Blade Runner thing going on here. This one deserves more respect.

Theory 77. Amazing. This is a phenomenal remix. The end.
Post Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:21 pm
Captiv8

Top five:

1) Theory 77
2) Leif(kolt)
3) Le Parasite
4) Brown and Cubbie Bear
5) MagOwl
Post Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:23 pm
SFR announcement

adic wrote:
After working on remixes for 4 days straight, I had to call it done last night. Hopefully one of mine makes the final cut, can't wait to hear what everyone else has done...

Really dope song.. I finally got around to checking out the full Metermaids album last night and that is great as well...

Out of curiosity, did you submit your remix? If so, was it under the name Adic?
Post Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:28 pm
adic

SFR announcement wrote:
adic wrote:

Out of curiosity, did you submit your remix? If so, was it under the name Adic?

My remix is the B Hyatt remix...

I'm about half way through listening to all of the other remixes, some great stuff so far...
Post Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:02 pm
Limbs

I like Dynamo414's a lot.

I don't know how you guys listen to all these. I can't imagine some of the ones that didn't make this list. A+ attention span, guys.
Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:19 am
magOwl

My top 5, after the 1st listen, in no particular order..

James Hancock (very melodic and suits the vocals perfectly)

Deepsea (love the samples, melodies & lo-fi'ness. Also I'll have to respectfully disagree with Mr. Francis, there's plenty of low end in there, sub goodness. Vocals are a bit low, and some levels could be tweaked tho)

Dynamo 414 (bringing the breakbeat loveliness as usual)

Le Parasite (like a straight-beat dubstep tune, sort of. I like it. I wish it would've broken down in to some proper dubstep nastiness somewhere)

Theory77 (nothing much to say, always brings his A-game)

I'll have to think a bit on who'll get my vote, but it'll most likely be one of the above.
Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:33 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Swell of the Metermaids weighs in with this:

My top 3
Theory77: So, so much attention to detail.
TommyFox: Even though it's a little repetitive, it's the most complete remix to me.
CubbieBear: It doesn't get where it wants, but I appreciate the total vibe switch.

Honorable Mention:

MartinKatscan: This is pitch-perfect Judgement Night Soundtrack.
DMG: If this was mixed a little better, it actually might have been my favorite. I love these super choppy beats.
LeParasite: Would have been a winner if he had changed it up a little more."
Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:24 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next