Search
Register
J-Zone's "Root for the Villain" = a great read
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > SFR Artists, Albums & Merch!

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

No Consequences was my shit. That got a lot of play on my radio show. And, no joke, I still think about that Ice Ice Baby line from time to time. Shit's true.
Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:29 pm
Prontoid

I followed J-Zone since his first college project lp music tu madre or whatever, by 2005 he was damn near my favourite rapper...songs like Baldy Locks , Disco Ho and so forth were killing me...such a shame he never got the recognition and in most ways more importantly the monetary return so he could keep doing what he was doing...

thanks alot Strangefamous, this is the third thing i've had to order from you guys in as many months.......
Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:55 pm
Mikal kHill

Def wanna cop this. Holy shit it comes with a cd? That's awesome. I love memoirs and music bios and I like J-Zone. Sounds like a solid buy.
Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:14 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Yeah, the CD isn't connected with the book in any way. J-Zone just sent us a bunch of his older albums to include with the book.
Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:21 pm
Mikal kHill

that's still awesome. I just ordered. Looking forward to it.
Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:32 pm
Seamus Ignoramus

Looking forward to this, I've always been down with J-Zone's material. Used to love the podcasts he did with Chief Chinchilla and put out for free - the least I can do is buy the book.
Post Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:42 am
Ardamus315

he seriously is one of the personas in hip hop i really wish got more shine. talented producer. witty punchlines in his raps. put together albums well. sucks he didn't get his just due like he should've.
Post Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:49 pm
prolyphic81

Great writer and dollar bin producer. I will be buying this book and I'm glad he found another outlet because I think hes an interesting guy as well.
Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:12 am
crash

Location: the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption

just scooped this. i haven't heard anything from j-zone since the days of kazaa. looking forward to the cd as well.
Post Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:18 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I just finished this book. I might want to go back and read it. It's amazing to me how many parallels in my life there are to his own as far as childhood, discovering hiphop, and "coming up in the game" is concerned. That's especially strange considering how different our environment was. I have a feeling that a lot of hiphop heads in their 30's will relate to most of these stories or get a huge kick out of them. I hope that younger people read it and get a better understanding of how things actually went down behind the scenes; post golden era, pre-internet.

There are parts of the book where i laughed out loud while sitting in a public place. Other parts had me cringing. Some parts I just wanted to yell out, "Nooooo...noooo don't do that!!!" haha

Anyway, yeah, it's a good read. Anyone who is familiar with J Zone knows that he has a close relationship with his grandmother, Evil E. I just came across this interview with them together and it's too cute/funny to not share. Love it:

http://tinyurl.com/RootForTheVillain
Post Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:17 pm
pugg

Finished this the other day and enjoyed it quite a bit. Loved his honesty. I want more Rap Tales. Wanted to thank yall because this is where I read about it/ordered it. Also that video Sage poasted is priceless.
Post Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:05 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
english bob

it's my birthday so i thought i'd get 'round to ordering this.. fingers crossed it gets here before christmas! either way, i'm looking forward to it.
Post Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:35 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

English Bob,
Word 'em up. Also, I'm going to look into the check out page verbiage you alerted us of. Thanks!
Post Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:56 pm
FuseONE

Why do I have to have $25 to my name when this comes out? You're really making me want to get it.
Post Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:48 pm
Jonthekingdon

Great book, I love his writing style and the brutal honesty he presented was entertaining.
Post Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:32 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next