Search
Register
#OCCUPYWALLSTREET
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

MCGF

quasifoto wrote:
i don't understand why it's at colleges? is it because they are state schools?
From their Facebook page:

Quote:

Occupy UC Davis, in the vein of the greater Occupy movement, is an attempt to reclaim the public spaces, particularly in the sphere of education, which have come under attack by those in power. The austerity budget pushed by California's leaders has result in massive cuts to public education and social services throughout the state while spending tens of billions to expand our already bloated prison system and give tax breaks to the megarich. Join us as we fight back against these attacks on students and citizens, and seek to create a society that truly allows liberty and justice for all.
Post Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:40 am
Confidential

Quasifoto, Colleges and universities have historically been places where social movements converge, often because of the climate for political and social discourse which they have tended to foster with programs like liberal studies, critical studies, philosophy, political science, social science, etc. Although the OWS protests are indeed directed at Wall Street, they aren't necessarily limited to that. Colleges and universities have faced various forms of austerity- budget cuts, tuition hikes, etc.- which are part of the overall problem of the economic system at which the OWS protests are directed. Naturally, these campuses began their own encampments in solidarity with the national movement and as ways to address localized economic injustices within the university system. As this happened, they were faced with excessive police violence, which in turn produced more solidarity and greater presence from the campus occupations. So this is why you have such occupations on campuses.
Post Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:57 pm
quasifoto

thanks for the explanation. i get it for the most part.
Post Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:54 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

xX gideon Xx wrote:
7/10? wait, what's happening here? are you trolling, sage?

I don't understand what this means. Sometimes I untangle your posts and edit them for everyone else's edification, but right now I'm drawing a blank. What's 7/10 and why do you think I'm trolling?
Post Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:02 pm
Flawed Logic

Location: Austin, TX - Albuquerque, NM - Kalamazoo, MI - Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

This is pretty straight forward
Post Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:34 pm
xX gideon Xx

Sage Francis wrote:
xX gideon Xx wrote:
7/10? wait, what's happening here? are you trolling, sage?

I don't understand what this means. Sometimes I untangle your posts and edit them for everyone else's edification, but right now I'm drawing a blank. What's 7/10 and why do you think I'm trolling?

Forum users will also frequently "rate" the troll as means of acknowledgment, with statements such as "0/10, obvious troll is obvious", or "10/10, I raged." -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaming_(Internet)

frankly, i was so surprised that you wrote the following that i honestly thought you might be trolling:

Sage Francis wrote:
"What's really kind of disturbing and confusing to me is how people can stand by...watch something like this happen...and yell "shame shame shame" instead of reacting in violence.

i wasn't trying to troll you.
Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:59 pm
Confidential

I think when Sage expressed his surprise at the restraint shown by protestors, as opposed to violence, xX gideon Xx, you interpreted it as him endorsing said violence.
Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:08 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:59 pm
Flawed Logic

Location: Austin, TX - Albuquerque, NM - Kalamazoo, MI - Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:05 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Police Meme Dude there got hisself suspended:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15830104

Also this policy is relevant:

Quote:

UC Davis policy on use of non-lethal force

Any application of force that is not reasonably anticipated to result in death will be considered non-lethal force. Each officer is provided with equipment, training and skills to assist in the apprehension and control of suspects as well as protection of officers and the public. Non-lethal force applications may include, but are not limited to, Electronic Devices, Body and Leg Restraints, and other Less Lethal Control Devices.
Given that no policy can realistically predict every possible situation an officer might encounter in the field, it is recognised that each officer must be entrusted with well-reasoned discretion in determining the appropriate use of force in each incident. While it is the ultimate objective of every law enforcement encounter to minimize injury to everyone involved, nothing in this policy requires an officer to actually sustain physical injury before applying reasonable force.
The University Of California, Davis Police Department authorises the use of less lethal force applications by officers and supervisors.
Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:01 pm
Plum Puddin'

Hang on so she gives him the ok to use force, then he uses force, then she suspends the dudes to gain trust back from the uni?

Wha?

That cops name is Annette?

No wonder he's so angry.
Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:12 pm
Oh Daesu

The UCDavis English Faculty chime in (website has crashed now though) with this statement:

Quote:

“The faculty of the UC Davis English Department supports the Board of the Davis Faculty >Association in calling for Chancellor Katehi’s immediate resignation and for “a policy that will end >the practice of forcibly removing non-violent student, faculty, staff, and community protesters by >police on the UC Davis campus.” Further, given the demonstrable threat posed by the University of >California Police Department and other law enforcement agencies to the safety of students, faculty, >staff, and community members on our campus and others in the UC system, we propose that such >a policy include the disbanding of the UCPD and the institution of an ordinance against the >presence of police forces on the UC Davis campus, unless their presence is specifically requested >by a member of the campus community. This will initiate a genuinely collective effort to determine >how best to ensure the health and safety of the campus community at UC Davis.”
Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:33 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Plum Puddin' wrote:
Hang on so she gives him the ok to use force, then he uses force, then she suspends the dudes to gain trust back from the uni?

Wha?

That cops name is Annette?

No wonder he's so angry.

Power moves son! Puts a new meaning to the phrase "good cop bad cop" eh?
Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:36 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

just stumbled upon this gold mine

http://peppersprayingcop.tumblr.com/
Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:48 pm
xxdr. mad69xx

http://youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=Qrx6DDgTH_w

*MOD NOTE*
You might want to try this link again. The one you posted doesn't lead to a video.
Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:06 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42, 43  Next